Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 AM

90 posts, read 214,344 times

Advertisements

I agree with Cricketfan about the people here. I have experienced the same with the attitude of 95% of the people I come in contact with. Everyone is nice and usually says something to me first. When I go walking and am about to pass someone in their yard, they are the first to smile and say good morning. When we went to our church the first time, as I was introducing us to the priest, a woman walking by smiled genuinely and said "Welcome!" It seems like I'm constantly saying to my husband, "Wow, we know we're not up north anymore". Not to say all northerners are rude, but we never felt the friendly, welcoming mannerisms that we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 02:03 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
See, unfortunately, some people WANT Jax downtown shopping and entertainment to be like Las Vegas, Los Angeles/Hollywood, NY......places like that, I guess. Well, guess what, it ISN'T!!! We like Jax, but we don't need all the entertainment and shopping that younger folks do. We have been to Metro Park and to the Jax Landing (w/and w/o our boat). We just aren't "downtown" type people! We haven't run into very many "friendly" people, but that is just the "day and age" we live in AND Jax isn't the small little farming town that I grew up in in the mid/late 60's.
If young people want an "action" place to live, don't think they will find a whole lot of that "action" here!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:25 PM

90 posts, read 247,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnianmane View Post
Oh lord please don't come to jacksonville. I'm a 21 year old gay male originally from bosnia [eastern europe]

Please stay away, I know a bit about upstate new york, like utica syracuse buffalo, etc., all have bosnian areas and arent as bad as jax

Jacksonville was rated the WORST city for dating in the united states & it was aired on tv. Because of no night life, nothing to do, and it's so spread out you have to drive for an hour to get anywhere.

Jacksonville is very racial, San Marco, riverside and all those "nice" areas are filled with homeless & often get robbed. I've lived in riverside for 2 years and my apartment was broken into 4 times. A girlfriend of mine was raped in her own apartment 2 streets over when a "thug" broke in to rob her. Several of my other friends had similar problems. Now the high black area's [sorry to say] are northside/westside/eastside. You would be an idiot to even go there...trust me. I know plenty of respectable african decent people that would never go into those areas.

Jacksonville sucks, seriously I've been saving my money for 6 months and I'm almost out of here. I hate this area so much, everyone knows everyone trust me. I've told this to several people on here that ended up moving here & 3 or 4 months later I get random emails saying we should have listened to you. Jacksonville has no nightlife, no fun, nothing to do. It gets very old. trust me & its very racial. I love being in a city a REAL CITY where everyone is different. But jacksonville, no it wont happen
I agree with some of the things that were written by you. I moved to Jax about a year ago..I hated it from the beginning. My manager told me I should move to Riverside since I love arts and taking walks outside and my view would change. I found a cheap apartment four blocks from Five Points...the first week I was followed by this rough looking man and this happened two more times by other homeless men. My neighbor, it turned out, was a three time convicted felon who also was on social security b/c he had mental problems. I started hearing how dangerous Riverside could be so one day I drove further down and saw the bad part. I was bored in Jax (I love theater and art-zero there) and jobs are very basic meaning you won't make that much. After many unhappy nights, I posted my apartment on Craigslist for someone to sublet. I quit my job and moved in with family for the time being.
Most people I spoke with hated jax..but that's what I found out.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Well, there is only two words to say to folks who don't like Jax or even hate it.......LEAVE, BYE!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtochicagooo View Post
There is no hiv/aids problem in bosnia. I'm from bosnia! Good luck with the race bash attempt tho, typical of a jacksonvillian!
Am I really race bashing? I'm taking more of a shot at the country. Maybe I'm a countrist? or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville