Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 AM

560 posts, read 2,077,808 times

Advertisements

makennamomerin,

I applaud your effort to really do your homework and find a safe place to live. However, I encourage you to not get overwhelmed or scared by some of this data.

(As an aside, do Colorado and Florida have the same reporting criteria? I suspect not. For all we know, Florida might have so many listed offenders because the police departments and judges are particularly vigilant about labeling people as sex offenders and keeping track of them.)

Regardless, sometimes you just need to delve into the data. For example, you mentioned that you really liked San Marco - which is a great neighborhood that you should consider. Just a mile down San Jose Blvd is a nice little area called Miramar which sounds like it would also meet your needs. There are several "dots" on the map - but upon closer inspection the only offender who appears to actually live in Miramar is a guy who was convicted of having sex with a teen when he was 19. The others are clearly erroneous (i.e. a "work" address on a residential street) and probably a misplaced "dot" that was meant for a nearby office park or something.

So there are plenty of neighborhoods around for you. Like others have said, Riverside, Avondale, Ortega, San Marco, the areas along San Jose Blvd, Mandarin (though that's a bit further away). You definitely have options with these neighborhoods, and you WILL be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley99 View Post
I went on that website and was shocked to see how many sex offenders are in the downtown area.
This is because the County Jail is downtown - notice how the same couple addresses are repeated. All those sex offenders "downtown" are thankfully in jail!! I just looked through the traditional downtown/central business district area, and I found a grand total of 3 sex offenders who seem to actually live downtown (2 in temporary rooming houses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 41,395 times
Hi makennamomerin! I am a stay at home mom like you. My children attend private catholic school and I am quite involved in our community, school & church groups. While ANY city will have child predators, it is the proactive parent that can prevent bad things from happening. While I personnally have not had any issues with crime here in Jax, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Like another comment above, we have the largest city as far as land mass goes..... That should tell you something regarding the crime rate.... I think you and your family will love it here should you choose to make it your home. Mandarin is nice but is a bit of a drive with traffic in the AM. My husband works downtown and we chose not to move there for that very reason. Good luck in your research!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM

31 posts, read 109,198 times
fsu13 is entitled to his/her opinion, and I am entitled to mine. I HAVE been a victim of crime, twice, and both times right here in Jacksonville! And both times in what people consider a "safe" neighborhood, so it's hardly an "absurd" possibility. My comments regarding San Marco come from a person who recently told me that her friend, who lives in a beautiful home on the river in San Marco, recently had a man try to get into her window while she was home in broad daylight. Now, I agree that overall, San Marco is generally safe... I am just saying that if you are the paranoid type, you can take extra precautions.

As for child sex offenders, I have never known anyone to have a problem; when I lived in Mandarin, there were several and there was also a convicted rapist not too far away... just the realities of the city. There were several break-ins, though, and whether anyone wants to admit or not, there is more of this that goes on inside the city limits. Also, while we were living in Mandarin, we had a nice visitor walk into our yard and urinate on a tree -- don't know who he was or where he came from, but my neighbor yelled at him and he ran off. How do I know whether or not he was a sex offender? My children were outside playing only moments before. Other people can do what they want, but no one ever thinks it will "happen to me" so I choose to exercise caution.

Don't worry, makennamomerin, too much -- no reason to be overly paranoid. You will be ok here. I don't know why crimes against children are higher here... maybe it's the heat?! Lower education levels? Overall, we feel safe here. I am cautious, but not paranoid about my children. We do not live in a gated community, but live in St. Johns county... we have an alarm and haven't used it because we feel so much safer out here...

I would recommend researching several neighborhoods, as it is true that many have a unique feel. Only you can decide what is right for you and your family.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:36 PM

118 posts, read 341,489 times
Makenamomerin,

I am family man from Denver who now lives in Jacksonville.

Jacksonville is a very family oriented city, more so than Denver. People are genuinely welcoming of kids wherever you go. Jacksonville has a nice Zoo, children's Library (within the main library), and few nice museum. My wife is involved with a large group of stay at home moms. She tells me there are similar support groups throughout the city.

With regards to crime, Jacksonville is on a different level than Denver. Although I have no data to support my position, there seems to be more poverty in Jacksonville than Denver. Crime tends to be concentrated in areas that have high poverty rates. If you avoid high crime areas, Jacksonville is a fairly safe city, but like most of Florida, you need to be aware of your surroundings.

If your husband has a job lined up, Jacksonville is definitely more affordable than Denver. There is wide range of affordable housing close to Downtown, much more affordable than close in neighborhoods in Denver, such as Cherry Creek or Congress Park. I suggest looking at the Jacksonville neighborhoods of Ortega, Avondale, and San Marco. Florida also has no state income tax, which can be a significant savings, depending on your income level.

Jacksonville is a different type of city than Denver. Denver has a better educated population, more entertainment options, better public education and better infrastructure. Jacksonville has less traffic, nicer people, lower cost of living and a laid back attitude.

It is a matter of opinion, but I think the weather in Jacksonville is nicer than Denver. The days in winter are on average one hour longer and significantly warmer. Jacksonville is much greener than Denver, which I find to be a positive.

Best Regards,

904jax

Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,471,642 times
I might be able to provide some perspective on living in the San Marco area for you.

I live in 32207 (the zip that covers San Marco) and see no increase in crime. In fact, I have owned property and lived in and out of 32207 for 12 years now and if anything I have seen improvement. 32207 is one of the densest zips in Jacksonville with some sections more prone to crime, but the vast majority of the zip is incredibly nice, well above average. The mayor lives in 32207 as do some of our local newscasters. These are people who know the city, need to be close to downtown and can afford to live in any part of town.

Epping Forest was mentioned. Epping Forest is a beautiful gated riverfront yacht community located due south of the San Marco area. Epping Forest is in zip 32217, the San Jose area. While it is lovely, there is not going to be much available for under $1million unless things have drastically changed . There are plenty of nice homes available for far less in both 32207 and 32217, so not to worry if your budget is a tad under $1million .

Should you leave Denver for Jacksonville? Something only you can decide. I lived in Boulder briefly over 20 years ago, so I am sure much has changed. I spent a lot of time in the Flatirons and up in Estes Park. In Boulder, Pearl Street was my main hangout. There is a bit of the Pearl Street feel in San Marco, Riverside and Avondale. These are also neighborhoods that have historic and older homes (circa 1920's, 30's, 40's). Aside from the ocean itself, nothing here feels as big and vast as the Rockies though, I still miss them . If you remember Fort Collins from back in the late 1980's, that kind of spread out sprawl is very prevalent in the surrounding counties of Jacksonville. Most of Jacksonville itself is suburban. Probably 75% of Jacksonville resembles what I recall Aurora to be like.

As for the sexual predator concern, I would not suggest letting your guard down any more here in Jacksonville than you currently do in Denver. It is no different. Most sex crimes against children are done by someone the child knows, so you'll be as vigilant here as you would be anywhere. If it helps ease your mind any, Jacksonville's rape statistics are lower than the national average.

Good luck in your decision . Both Jacksonville and Denver are nice cities so i don't think you can go wrong either way .

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 PM

13 posts, read 109,552 times
Thank you. I think I have all the research on the Jacksonville area that I need to make an informed decision. I really appreciate ALL of your opinions. They have given me every perspective I would need, good and bad. Good night and take care!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,881 times
A few more thoughts for you:
If you can, move to the outside of Jax city limits into Clay or St johns county. i say this for the following reasons:

1) The majority of properties available in these areas qualify for USDA 502 home loans which are about the most attractive home loan you can find. No areas in the Jax city limits qualify. This might not be a big deal for you but being able to purchase a home for no money down and roll the closing costs into the loan can be a big help when making such a long move.

2) both Clay and St. Johns counties have better school systems than duval county (Jax city). Of course this varies from school to school but anyone taking an honest look at the numbers will admit that these counties are better overall. Not a big deal if you plan to send the chickens to private school but options are always nice.

3) Take a look at Oakleaf Plantation. i have a student who works for the Clay County Probation Dept. and she said that this community laid out its parks and schools and such specifically so that no child predators could live within the community. I've checked this with a few people who live there and a they have confirmed this.

The downside or upside depending on your view to Oakleaf is that it is the very definition of suburban living.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:55 AM

31 posts, read 109,198 times
Yeah... I know what you are saying, kalmak is saying, although I don't think Oakleaf would be a good fit; it sounds like you are probably going to like more urban... What you have going for you is a great income, and that's going to make all the difference in your security, quite frankly. I didn't realize Epping Forest was so pricey... there are several other nice neighborhoods up that way, though. Ortega is a beautiful area, and I would imagine pretty safe, too... You have lots of options, and plenty of good ones! Good luck!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:07 PM

705 posts, read 1,576,645 times
My wife and I just made the move to Jax 6 mo.s ago from a larger metro area (San Diego) with the idea of buying a house for a fraction of the cost. We've definitely noticed a slower pace here with comparatively little going on, especially downtown. Jacksonville overall feels like a giant small town. On the plus side, there's less traffic compared to what we're used to and I think people are pretty friendly in general.

We've been renting a house in Riverside that was built in 1916. There are pubs, restaurants, parks, the St. John's River and shops nearby. The area is very interesting and we haven't noticed any real crime in the neighborhood since we've been here. There is a definite younger element, so we've had a few noisy late weekend nights, but nothing too crazy.

I know it's stressful making such an important, difficult decision. I'm sure it will work out fine whichever decision you make. So much in life is not where you are, but how you live and what you make of it. I think happy people will be happy regardless and vice versa.

Good luck,
Joe

Old 09-24-2009, 09:19 AM

432 posts, read 1,310,343 times
Hi! Yeah if you are looking for urban then Oakleaf probably isn't it, but I LOVE this area....we just moved in last month and I am quite happy with our neighborhood.......

It's big and sprawling and very suburban, but that is what we both like......

amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville