Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:37 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,738,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks71 View Post
Kinda like this poor guy? Maintenance Man Shot, Killed At Work - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/21261557/detail.html - broken link)

Just a guy doing his job on a GOOD side of town and gets shot around noon during the day. All these good sides of towns been having LOTS of shootings latley. Swat killed a guy on san pablo road a few weeks ago, last week 2 are shot and killed again on GOOD parts of town. The crime is out of control here and we all know it. I guess I am paranoid since I live minutes from these areas.
Go online and check out any major city newspaper from Maine to Frisco and you are bound to find a story like this one. Not a consolation for Jax but just putting your little stories into context. The fact remains that you can live safer in certain areas of Jax (or in any city) than in other parts, "safer" being the operative word. But there can be no such thing as a crime-free area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,283,675 times
but, but, but...............i might get randomly shot!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:04 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,779 times
According to 07 stats, you are almost 2 and a half times more likley to get murdered here vs NY city. WOW

You have 150% better chance of getting murdered here than LA. WOW

San Diego, you are 3 times more likely to get murdered here vs there. OUCH THREE TIMES!!!!!

Denver? About twice the chance here vs there.

Miami!!! Better chance there but not by much!

Tampa? almost twice the chance here vs there

Crime is terrible here, get your head of the sand or out of your ***

I must remember, I can not argue with idiots, they always win with experience. BTW the source is this website.

See ya Jacksonville humpers.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM

13 posts, read 24,813 times
Default Mandarin Area

Try the Mandarin area. It is safe and offers a lot. It is definitely more geared towards families. Plus its close to 95 and 295.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
According to 07 stats, you are almost 2 and a half times more likley to get murdered here vs NY city. WOW

You have 150% better chance of getting murdered here than LA. WOW

San Diego, you are 3 times more likely to get murdered here vs there. OUCH THREE TIMES!!!!!

Denver? About twice the chance here vs there.

Miami!!! Better chance there but not by much!

Tampa? almost twice the chance here vs there

Crime is terrible here, get your head of the sand or out of your ***

I must remember, I can not argue with idiots, they always win with experience. BTW the source is this website.

See ya Jacksonville humpers.
I forget who said that "there is nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot".. Picking a few cities that have a lower murder rate than Jacksonville gives the impression that Jax is the murder capital, which it is not.

Yes, Jacksonville has a murder rate that is definitely not good. But anyone with common sense will understand that in a city that is 800+ square miles, there has got to be areas that are safer than other areas. Most people understand that these shootings are pretty much (not exclusively) happening in north and west Jacksonville and in relatively rough areas. There is a reason that people who come on here for advice are told to avoid certain zip codes.

So anyway, I will play your little game of comparative resources:
According to the FBI crime stats for 2007, the murder rate for Jax was 15 per 100,000, but here are some major cities that had higher rates per capita than Jax.

Miami 19

Atlanta 26

Chicago 16

Baltimore 45

Washington DC 31

Memphis 19

Phila 27

Oakland 30

... and it gets even worse.

Now tell me whose head is stuck in the sandbox, or wherever. Jax haters like yourself will choose to only refer to cities you cited and then you just become obvious for who you are. Ofcourse none of this makes Jax crime any better, but other people will look at cities that have higher as well as lower crime rates. So if you get a kick out of saying that Jax tops the list, I say go ahead, enjoy yourself.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 AM

umm.....parks71 fails to point out that Jax is MUCH LARGER than all of those cities, and neighborhoods that are outside of their city limits are not outside of ours.

that's #1.

#2 would be that violent crime, specifically murders/killings, are greatly concentrated in certain areas and are many are not "random" (ie, drug activity).

if you can manage to avoid those areas & not be involved with illegal stuff , then you have no reason to be overly worried. just basic, everyday common sense will do just fine.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 AM

You were the one that said you can look at ANY local city across America. I Just proved the point not ANY city is like this city however I never said it was the WORST but there is serious crime problems here that most of you say is in isolated area of the northside but so much of it has been happening on the SOUTH side.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Jax is larger than NYC??? San diego? LA? are you crazy??

Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 AM

Time to take parks71 to school.

Jacksonville is largest city land-wise in the US.

Most cities, even with much larger populations than Jax, will have city limits MUCH smaller.

Therefore many of the bad areas are not technically "in" those cities, while they are "in" Jacksonville.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
You were the one that said you can look at ANY local city across America. I Just proved the point not ANY city is like this city however I never said it was the WORST but there is serious crime problems here that most of you say is in isolated area of the northside but so much of it has been happening on the SOUTH side.
You either missed my point or you are just pretending to be stupid (which I don't think you are). So here it is again:

Quote:
Go online and check out any major city newspaper from Maine to Frisco and you are bound to find a story like this one. Not a consolation for Jax but just putting your little stories into context. The fact remains that you can live safer in certain areas of Jax (or in any city) than in other parts, "safer" being the operative word. But there can be no such thing as a crime-free area.
Do you still have a problem with that?

Last edited by cricketfan; 10-14-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville