Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,160 times

Advertisements

I think you guys shoot duke it out at the RAM this weekend. I'll pay for the booth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:03 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,282,878 times
how much money can i make?

Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,510,160 times
none, but you guys need to just go ahead and kick the shat out of each other....that's the only intelligent way to settle these type of things.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 PM

17 posts, read 69,011 times
I've moved many places throughout the US. I am now living in the Jacksonville area for the second time. It is not bad. But the "cost" of living is sort of relative. You might be spending it on housing in Co, but you are spending it in driving costs here. Yes the gas is cheaper, but you have to drive so much further. Everything is soooo spread out. Yes we have lots of parks. Most of them look exactly the same, you have the same grass, trees and playground equipment that is to hot to use in the summer. I have found the cost of to to be much more expensive here compared to many places I've lived (my food budget went up over 40% here compared for the same food in California) I will have to say the produce here is sooo much better. Other little costs drive me crazy. My cell phone bill went up almost 30 dollars a month. All of it was due to florida taxes. My home phone and cable are also taxed. It annoys me because I feel like I am nickled and dimed to death here. Both my kids are in high school and laugh at how they did "this" school work in there freshman year in the last state we lived in. This statement was re-guarding the classes in their junior year. The teachers are great and the schools are up to date in many things. We are in Clay county and I am VERY impressed with the "duel" career mission they have going on in the high schools. Depending on the school (each school has different programs) my children can get certified in Heating and AC repair, become a chef or a certified child care provider AND earn their HS degree. I love that the kids can get a HS degree, have a certified career and go on to college. With an opportunity to earn college credit while in the HS. That is marketing at it best when it comes to education. The beaches are very nice. The water is warm and VERY nice to swim in. Sorry California, you lost out here. A lot of people trash talk the Jax Zoo, but I have always loved it. It is smaller than the Bronx and San Diego zoos but just as well thought out and they are always improving it. It is one of my favorite ways to spend the day here. One of my bigger grips here is the radio and stations, The play lists have not changed much since the last time I lived here, which was 16 years ago. I know, petty, but I love new music and love to turn on the radio when I am in the car. The kids even miss the variety that they use to have in the last 4 states we have lived in. (can you tell we are military?) The fishing, camping and hunting are great here. If being outside with nature is your thing, this REALLY is a great place to be. For me unfortunately they are not what I love to do. Moving here was a huge mistake for my family. None of us are happy here. I am a big museum, local restaurant, big shows and national park kind of a girl. Jacksonville just does not cut it for ME. I have to admit I always felt something was missing for me when I lived here many years ago and now know what it is. I would strongly recommend you rent a condo (somewhere toward the city vs the beach. the beach is expensive). Rent it for the summer and if you like it here THEN move. I do want to make it clear Jax is not a bad place to live, it holds a lot of qualities that are VERY satisfying to many people. You also might want to consider St Augustine. Lastly, educate yourself about the CDD fees, if you do plan to buy a home here. They are additional fees added to your taxes in SOME planned communities here. This is in addition to the HOAs.

Best of Luck.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM

563 posts, read 1,026,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdoliner View Post
The honest answer from me is no. You should not leave an incredible city like Denver for Jacksonville, Florida. I'm usually never on the Jacksonville forum but am moving to Colorado from Jax in 2 days and had to respond. I really hate to be negative on these forums about a specific city. Most people want to hear great things about where they are considering moving. Unfortunately the honest answer you are seeking is no way!
Jacksonville will disappoint you in many ways in comparison to a beautiful, vibrant, tolerant city like Denver. From a stay at home mom of two great kids. Really....I wouldn't make that change.

So, makenna.............n, DID YOU MOVE??

Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,747 times
Default Beaches near Jacksonville, Fl

Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach and Jacksonville Beach have access to good schools, bike trails, motor boating and sail boating marinas, and kyaking areas and the Atlantic Ocean . They are just south of the Timucuan Ecological & Historic Preserve/ St. Johns River and east of the Intracoastal Waterway. The beaches are located north of the Oldest City, St. Augustine, Florida which is a great historic setting for learning about our country. There are many opportunities for a growing family. Crime rates are relatively low but you would have to check that out for yourself. I am not a realtor but do have access to the MLS here and would be happy to research specific parameters while things are slow.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:08 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,282,878 times
one more thing, Parks 71 -

i forgot. if a school has overall failng grade, the city lets you send your child elsewhere.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,678 times
FSU, I dont know about that so I wont comment but its hard to believe since 95% of the schools are failing. Failing for me is D, so where they going to send everyone from every single non magnet high school in jacksonville to mandrin? I dont know but sounds fishy to me.

The beachs are nice however, I read that article where jacksonville beach had the highest crime rate per capita in the US which was hard for me to believe because I have never had a problem out there but that article had the stats to back it up. It was mostly robberies, rapes and assults though.

Yes the beachs have very nice schools for florida but once again, just like the poster posted a few posts ago, you will be required to learn much more at schools up north or out west. I dont know why that is but it is. When my sister moved from here to Nashville her boy was in 3rd grade and they had to hold him back because he didnt know the material but made A or S as they call it here.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 AM

17 posts, read 61,345 times
I'm not a mom, but I live and teach in Jax. I can tell you that we have great public schools at the beach. There are parts of the beach you want to stay away from (mainly Jax beach where the bars are) but overall the beach, mainly Neptune and South Jax are VERY family friendly.

Keep in mind, too, that Jax is the largest city geographically in the US. So some places in Florida (like Orlando and Miami) may have different statistics because they are broken up into smaller cities. Jax, however, is just one big city. There are certain areas to stay away from (parts of Arlington and downtown) but overall, I don't think it's any different from other large cities.

Jax is basically an overgrown suburb. I recommend living on the Southside, Beaches, or Intercoastal West area. You'll find good schools, family friendly opportunities, and friendly people. I can't say much about San Marco, because I don't live over there. It's out of my price range.

The cost of living in low here, I believe, because we're not a tourist town. Also, we were hit very hard in the housing boom collapse. If you want to live outrageously in Florida, you can, but if you just want a nice suburban experience it isn't that costly. Keep in mind, we don't have a state income tax.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM

402 posts, read 1,056,678 times
Why does everyone say the cost of living is low here? Where do you come up with that? I could see saying the cost of living is average but low? Salaries.com you have to enter cities like New york, new york, san diego or something for jacksonville to be lower. According to that site, Jacksonville is higher than a lot of cities when you take everything into consideration like how low the pay is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville