Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,902 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I think I will look into living there. The commute is just too tempting (haven't had a car in years, can't imagine a long drive to work every day). Does anyone have suggestions on how to go about finding a place to rent in the area? The only apartment complex I can find is the Villas of St. Johns. Does anyone know anything about that place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,281,701 times
The Villas at St. Johns are in Riverside....and by your comments i can't tell if that's where you are more interested in, or the Beaches.

Riverside & Avondale are Historic Districts, so you won't find many of your typical, suburban apartment complexes.

There are some there, especially along the river (just drive up Riverside Avenue & St. John Avenue and you'll see some), but most apartments are going to be in smaller apartment buidlings. So you'd have 10 units, or 4 units, instead of 100 units or 50 units.

Here are you're best bets, the first 2 mainly serve these areas:

- Traditions Realty: TraditionsJax.com
- Atkinson Realty: Atkinson Realty Group, Inc.
- Just driving around. There are A LOT of apartments for rent in this area, Riverside especially, and you'll see signs in yards pretty much everywhere you look. Again, Riverside Avenue & St. Johns Avenue will have some apartment complexes too.
- Craigs List has a ton of stuff. Here are some examples:

Light And Bright Apartment With Balcony (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1607777568.html - broken link)

1846 Margaret 10A-Riverside-Amazing view of St. Johns River & downtown (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1608588061.html - broken link)

1500 sq ft apartment in riverside with garage (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1609345498.html - broken link)

1/2 MONTH FREE FOR ASAP MOVE INS, great river views available (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1605669582.html - broken link)

Spacious Riverside Classic (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1606457219.html - broken link)

>>>>>>>> VICTORY AT YORKTOWN <<<<<<&lt (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1608160215.html - broken link)

Hardwood floors--spacious--or whole house with 2 apts!Showing today! (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1607786124.html - broken link)

Riverside 1/1 Plus Office - Hardwood Floors, Shared Washer/Dryer (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1607801131.html - broken link)

Old 02-20-2010, 12:53 PM

870 posts, read 2,180,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post

- Craigs List has a ton of stuff. Here are some examples:

Riverside 1/1 Plus Office - Hardwood Floors, Shared Washer/Dryer (http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/1607801131.html - broken link)
This one seems pretty good.

The only thing I would worry about in the Riverside area is the cost of electricity. I have heard of several people who had very large electric bills last month because of our cold in December. A colleague of mine had an electric bill that was twice what my bill was, and I have a 1500 sf house. It seems some of those older homes (converted to apartments) are not insulated well.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 AM

Well of course they won't be insulated as well! They are historic!

My home, built in 1909, has insulation in the attic, some of the walls, but none underneath the floor. Our bill was $335 last month, during that awful cold streak. Typically it's around $200 or so. 2000 sq ft house. Much of it depends on whether the property is exposed to full sun, full shade, etc.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 PM

870 posts, read 2,180,677 times
Right, but I just want this person to consider the possibility. My collegeau was not prepared. A bunch of us at work chipped in what we could to help out the $500 JEA bill she had.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 AM

WOW! She must have had that baby cranked up 24/7!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM

44 posts, read 113,890 times
My utility bill was $405.00 for January!!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM

11 posts, read 24,612 times
I am also a single female, 25, professional living in Jax. I live in the southside area. Riverside is not an unsafe area and neither is Atlantic beach. For you to make the decision between the two areas you are going to have to weigh these factors and pick what is most important to you:

Riverside:
Yes it is more artsy. Older homes/buildings. An old movie theatre. A gay bar. More culture. There are plenty of young people that live in the area and you will not be alone. MUCH closer to your work if you are going to be commuting to downtown. I mean MUCH closer. Also, think about the hours that you will be working. A drive during rush hour in the morning on the way to work and during rush hour on the way home...traffic can get REALLY jammed trying to get all the way back to the beach. Riverside to the Beach can be about a 45 minute drive at times. Also, does the job you will work provide you with a parking spot? Find out. Because if the office doesn't have a private parking lot, parking downtown can be difficult to find. Or you might have to pay to park in the parking garage everyday. So, trying to find a meter every morning, plus a 30 to 45 minute commute might not be a time constraint that makes living at the beach worth it to you...or maybe it is something you are willing to sacrifice.

Beaches:
Well the obvious, the beach. Where I live is about 10 to 15 minute drive to the beach. Let me tell me you, I have stayed weekends at friends homes who live right on the beach...and it is pretty amazing to just wake up and walk out on the beach. But, you will be driving to work 5 times a week. How often do you plan on going to the beach? Just something to think about. The beaches are safe but they are a totally different scene, bars wise. Atlantic beach and the Neptune area are more low key beach themed bars, not like a wild night club atmosphere at all. The Jax beach bars are a little less "beachy" but neither are "really nice" or anything. They are bars. Not clubs. If you know what I mean by that. One pro of living at the beach is that you can most likely find a place that you can walk not only to the beach, but also to at least one or two bars. Not having to drink and drive is always a plus.

That being said, either way you go I'm sure you'll be happy. Riverside and Beaches are both going to suit you it seems. However, as a similarly situated female, I would strongly advise AGAINST living downtown. Don't be fooled by any website that makes it look safe at night. The roads are all one ways and scary to drive on at night when you don't know exactly where you're going. I have gone out to the downtown bars numerous times, but when I go with just one other female friend or something we are always scared walking (well running) from wherever we parked to get to our location. I personally wouldn't want to have to worry about that feeling every night that I stayed out late-ish and then had to walk from my car to my house.

I hope this was helpful. I am about to relocate to Miami and posted a similar thread seeking advice! So when I saw your post I thought, Im going to write the info I hope someone gives me about my new city! Good luck to you!

Old 03-04-2010, 02:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,782 times
Do not move to Riverside! I am in my 20's and also originally from a northeast city and I am trying to find a decent neighborhood more towards the coast. There is no social scene in Riverside even though there is UCR, most of the students commute/go home on weekends for this reason. I know someone who is very involved in the art scene in Riverside and they are not too happy here either.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 AM

and if you believe that, the moon is made of cheese.

that's like saying the there is no water in the river.

Riverside/Avondale is is perhaps THE MOST socialable area for young professionals in the city, and is THE MAJOR center fo the arts in the city.

but besides that, m001, you nailed it. (ha)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville