Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:08 PM

7 posts, read 18,547 times

Advertisements

My life has hit a crossroad that has left my head spinning... so hopefully I'll be able to explain it clearly!

I've been wanting to open an ice cream business with my family for a while in Jacksonville but timing hasn't been good. My husband will now go to Gainesville to attend school, and I can't decide if I should go ahead with the business idea here as planned, or should I do it in Gainesville?

If it's in Gainesville, how feasible is it that we would be able to move back to JAX in 4 years?

In JAX, what area in town could use this business? Preferably where people are walking mostly rather than driving by? And is this something we can do where we practically live apart for 4 years?

We don't have kids but will more than likely have them in this same time period.... help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Can't speak for any other part of town - but we had a Cold Stone Creamery at the big Publix/Target shopping center on Marsh Landing Parkway at the intersection of JTB and A1A (place was next door to Publix). Shopping center is always busy. Ice cream store folded. Independent came in with an ice cream/cafe concept - and she folded too. Store is still vacant and for rent. One place that seems to do ok here out at the beaches is Rita's - but it's only open on a seasonal basis (10 months a year).

Don't know anything about ice cream in other parts of JAX or Gainesville.

And - just my opinion - but living about a 2 hour drive away from my husband for 4 years while you're thinking about starting a family doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Robyn

Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM

Are you talking about Yogaberri? I thought they were still open. They also have opened in the last year a location in the St. Johns Town Center as well as JAX Beaches, so there's definitely room for growth in the market.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
It's a fierce market to compete in Jacksonville, at least at prime locations.
The arguably hottest market in Jax is St Johns Town Center and there are already 4 ice cream/yogurt stores (Yogaberry, Kilwins, Marble Slab, Mochi). Competition is great, but must create something new and unique to stand on your own grounds.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmar99 View Post
Are you talking about Yogaberri? I thought they were still open. They also have opened in the last year a location in the St. Johns Town Center as well as JAX Beaches, so there's definitely room for growth in the market.
No - different place. I'm pretty sure the Yogaberry is in the outparcel building in the same shopping center where Blockbuster is. Robyn

Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
"Preferably where people are walking mostly rather than driving by?"

Riverside & Avondale, San Marco, Springfield, Downtown, parts of the Beaches, and a very specific spots on the "southside" are walker-friendly. The rest of Jax is extremely car reliant.

Of those, Springfield & the Beaches have icecream spots. Multiple. Downtown doesn't have the critical mass. San Marco or Riverside would probably be your best bet. Tapestry Park on the "southside" may also work.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:30 PM

The "downtown" areas of Avondale and San Marco have seen better days IMO (undoubtedly due to the economy). I used to go to each a couple of times a year to "window shop". Last couple of times - there really wasn't much to see (although I do like eating at Biscotti's - but I usually combine that with a trip to the Cummer and that nice nursery a bit south of Avondale - forget the name).

I think you're going to get more foot traffic in any major strip shopping center (people don't yet drive their cars through the stores ). One of my brothers-in-law once ran a Sabrett hot dog stand in front of a Home Depot in NC during spring/summer/fall weekends as a fund-raising kind of thing. He did great (all those NY transplants missed NY style hot dogs). And no reason you can't have an ice cream stand (it's portable - might work lunch time in downtown during the week - in front of a place like Home Depot on the weekends - and it's much less of an investment than a store). Concept could work in Gainesville as well. Just a thought. Robyn

Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
When I was there about 4 years ago, Cold Stone used to do great business in Gainesville. Two locations with the same owner and they both were very profitable. There was also Ben and Jerry's, Marble Slab, and a few others, but Cold Stone was king. I think competition has stiffened since then, especially with quite a few frozen yogurt stores there now.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM

20 posts, read 75,446 times
I just moved from Gainesville, and ironically am probably moving back. There are several ice cream places, both close to campus and in more of the more residential areas. There are at least two Ben 'n Jerry's locations, a Coldstone, Sweet Dreams (by far the best ice cream in town), Yogaberry, TCBY, D'lites, Gelato Company, Marble Slab Creamery... and those are just the big ones in town. Frozen yogurt is a lot more popular in Gainesville than ice cream, but the market seems to be flooded with both types of establishments. I think Gainesville might be too small of a market to add yet another, and a brand new one with no local history at that.

But I do wish you the best, and update us on your decision!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the responses! I actually have scratched out Gainesville, things happened since my post where Gainesville is no longer an option. However, Jacksonville definitely is! Still trying to decide on the location though, but the suggestions have been helpful, primarily to confirm some of the ideas I already had. I'm not thrilled about the idea of a strip mall because I'd hate to be burried among stores in a crowded area of town... Still a work in progress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville