Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times

Advertisements

We only wear a suit or tie when having to go to a commission meeting, sort of a business casual. When I interview people I always wear a tie because
I want to save the candidates from feeling too overdressed.

If you find yourself nervous about interviews, I have one suggestion that may help. In you mind pretend it's practice for the real interview you have later in the week. After all, it could turn out to be just that. If you are not
feeling like this is your only chance, there is less pressure and then less stress.

When I interviewed for a new job in 2009 and again for promotion to my current management job, I had the advantage of having been a hiring manager before and felt very comfortable even with a panel of 4.

You might consider pretending to be the interviewer, and try to come up with questions they are likely to ask. Then ask friends and relatives to be candidates and interview them. Sitting on the other side of the table a few times makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Are you flying in the day before?

Pack a lightweight wool suit and no-iron dress shirt--or silk shell if you are female. As soon as you get to your hotel, hang them up. In the morning the wrinkles should have fallen out of them. If you do need to touch up the shirt, set the iron very low and gradually increase the temp--those hotel irons are notorious for scorching!

Take a couple of safety pins to deal with any last minute wardrobe malfunctions. Many hotels can offer needle and thread, but not all. Don't forget to pack a shoe shine cloth as well.

Make sure you drink a ton of water before, during, and after the flight to stay hydrated. Avoid alcohol, at least until after the interview.

Don't forget to pack your dress socks/hosiery. (I know several people who have forgotten this when packing for business travel--and I'll admit I'm one of them. )

If you are crossing time zones, try to adjust your sleep pattern starting a week prior to travel to get yourself closer to the time zone you are headed to before you get there. Although if you are headed east to west with a morning interview, this will work in your favor.
As someone who used to be one of those weekly-traveling "road warriors" - I will second the advice that having a few safety pins is one of the most important things to have in your luggage.

Also, I would suggest limiting yourself to one small carry-on bag as opposed to a larger bag you have to check. You don't want to have to risk having part of your wardrobe lost en route.

And if there is no overnight stay and you are flying in the morning of the interview - try to wear a darker-colored outfit that is less likely to show any stains in case something spills. You don't want to be wearing a white shirt and wind up with a stain because a bit of coffee or soda spills on it, or because there may have been a bit of gunk on the plane seat.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Make sure you have something to write a thank you note with immediately after the interview with. I have recently had people suggest handing thank you notes to receptionists...I don't know if that's a tad overboard but at least getting it in the mail right after the interview (there should be a drop box in front of the office probably) is a great bet.
Thank you notes are a must after the interview, but I would disagree on handing it in right at the end of the interview. That might actually be reviewed as a bit odd and could also be seen as something pre-prepared and not sincere. It is much more common to see the thank you note sent the day after, and should briefly reference something from the interview to make it a bit personal. Also, I find that sending such a note by e-mail is not inappropriate (get cards from the interviewers). Plus, in an e-mail you can add that they can feel free to contact you should they have any additional questions (while providing your own e-mail address so they can do just that).

Note - if you are going to send a thank you e-mail, make sure you have an e-mail address that looks a bit more generic. JSmith123@yahoo.com is much more suitable than, say, LovesHootersGirls666@yahoo.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
And yes, always have questions. It also looks like you didn't do your research if you don't have questions. You're also interviewing them to see they're a good match for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I couldn't disagree more!!! Unless the interviewer SPECIFICALLY told you it was a business casual culture and to feel free to wear business casual attire, wear a suit. Period. And even if they told you to wear business casual, you wear chino's, a button down oxford shirt, and a sport coat.
Exactly! If you do show up and they are dressed more casually than you, it is not a bad thing. If you are more casually dressed than them - that is a bad thing. (as a side note, even if one's office is more casual, I still think you should toss on a tie for half an hour or so while interviewing a candidate).

Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
1. Make the interviewer feel like the most important on the planet

2. Let the interviewer do most of the talking

Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
Stay calm and relax. Let your passion show. If it is a panel interview, do your best to not get intimidated.
I had a panel interview once where there were about 10 people and they placed a video camera about 2 feet in front of me to record my responses. Talk about intimidation. I got the job, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
I always get very nervous during interview. I think it is my biggest issue. Any tips on how to control this? Thanks
It helps if you change your perspective about the interview. The worst thing that will happen is you not getting the job. You won't be insulted, injured, ridiculed, or anything like that. You don't really have anything to lose. You have everything to gain. Go in there with a positive attitude and try your best.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
All excellent advice and although I know you had "knowledge of the company" on your list, this post is very important, if not crucial:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Make sure you also do some research on the company that you are interviewing with. Look up their website or any other articles or info on the company that may be available. When I have interviewed candidates in the past, one question I always ask is, "Why do you want to work here?" If they just say because they want a job or give some vague, generic answer it is not that impressive. But if they provide an answer which demonstrates that they know something about the company, and use that knowledge to say why they want to work there, that stands out in a positive way.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
1. Make the interviewer feel like the most important on the planet

2. Let the interviewer do most of the talking
3. Ignore advice from TVandSportsGuy.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 PM

382 posts, read 1,922,196 times
Well, I had an iterview. Arrived 15 minutes early, shaved, perfect business attire, greeted everyone, made eye contact, shake hands... Everything as recommended. There were four people in the panel. They all had papers and were taking notes as I answered. They took turns, each asked abour five questions. I answered all of their questions and provided some examples. I made them laugh twice when I was describing my work experince from Russia. When I mentioned few examples about corruption and the way business is ran, they were all laughing. I dont know if it is good or not. Then as I was answering, I referred to regulations that govern that industry, I would state the regulation number and said-that is the one right? And they were not sure. So, it appeared that I knew little more then I was suppose to. I think this is bad. They asked me how soon could I start. Then they showed me some pictures that had situations related to my occupation and I answered what I though is wrong with those situations. The interview lasted little over an hour. They validated my parking. Then the manager took me to their operations center and showed me around. I was asking many questions which were industry related. He said that I have done an extensive research. Also, there was an emloyee working there and the manager said that him and I would have alot to talkabout. I spent about an hour in the ops center and the manager did not speakmuch as he was busy handling a situation. I think this is also bad. I was just standing there as he was working. They said that they need to discuss something with hr department and i should hear within few weeks. I sent priority mail thank you note same day. So, i dont know whether I did good or bad. Also, i have an accent and I told them that fluency in four languages really useful in my pr skills. The interview was march 8. I did not hear anything yet.....

Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM

382 posts, read 1,922,196 times
Also, I brough a folder with resume, cover letter, recommendations, references, diplomas, transcripts, previus employment verifications, copies of licenses. All copies notarized and on expensive paper. They said it would save them time and thanked me.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 PM

30,534 posts, read 16,231,137 times
sounds like you did everything right. Ball's in their court now.Hope ya get the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search