Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times

Advertisements

Online forms force you to list your date of birth and graduation dates. It allows them to weed out the older applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Online forms force you to list your date of birth and graduation dates. It allows them to weed out the older applicants.
Absolutely. That's why I despise online apps.

People in their 50s complain about ageism. It starts when you turn 40. Trust me. And you can look 25, it doesn't matter. They see the dates and it's over for you. I can do botox and pull my face like a skin on a drum, they don't care. They are such Neanderthals when it comes to dates it's sad.... But yes, online apps should be banned.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
It's a mess is what it is. Not efficient at all.

And on top of that, many recruiters don't seem to actually read the information provided. It's like you're dealing with an ADD addled child who simply cannot focus. I find many of them can't keep their mind focused to read past the 2 line summary or past the first job listed.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:44 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It's a mess is what it is. Not efficient at all.

And on top of that, many recruiters don't seem to actually read the information provided. It's like you're dealing with an ADD addled child who simply cannot focus. I find many of them can't keep their mind focused to read past the 2 line summary or past the first job listed.
My point exactly.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,032,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Bingo!! I'm 59!!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:55 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Oh I forgot about that.

Damn Damn Damn

Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 AM

313 posts, read 329,672 times
It's easy for those who have a job or are responsible in giving jobs to negatively criticize those looking for one.

Companies should be more interested in who will work,work hard and efficiently, and the willingness to learn from the company.

All the other petty excuses to not hire your own countrymen is ridiculous.

If the resume is decent and they do good during a training class then hire them. Some people lack experience but many times experience can be overrated as I have seen people getting with the program after training.

Besides how does one get experience if no one is hiring them to get it?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
This may or may not be relevant, but there was a company I applied to a few months ago. It was a pretty tech-savvy company. They had a button to upload the resume, so I did. The next page autopoulated from the resume and had numerous additional questions. On top of that, it auto-populated all the WRONG fields, so I had to go and correct almost every one. And did I mention all of this was on a single webpage?

It took me a half hour to fill it out, I swear it was like the essay part of the SAT! I hit the submit button at the end of the page and something went wrong, it came back with an error page!! So I hit the back button, hoping that it would have saved everything I wrote, but no, it again auto-populated the page from my resume, with all the errors. Cursing up a storm, I filled it out again, got almost to the end, another half hour into it, and my wrist must have brushed the touch pad on my laptop, which made it go forward, to the error screen from before!

I almost threw the damn laptop on the ground I was so furious. So I hit the back button and of course everything was erased. I couldn't give it a third go round, I...just...couldn't!

If your company is going to use an online application, at the very least write the code correctly and make it on multiple pages that save as you go!! For sanity's sake! Every time this happens, it makes me want to learn programming just to correct things like this!
Been there! I just dug around and found out the name of the hiring manager and emailed that person directly, prefacing my contact with, "There was a problem with your application system." She wrote back two days later saying that she asked about it and indeed, there had been problems with it. She thanked me for taking the time to point it out and CC'd their HR person to set up an interview. The HR person was up front about the salary, though, and it was so far below my range that there would be no room for negotiation so it didn't work out. But still, sometimes it pays to go the extra mile in situations like that.

This only works if there is a genuine problem with the application system, though. If they can go back to their IT people and verify, it can only make you look like a go-getter. But if the system is fine, you run the risk of looking like you can't follow directions.

Then again, I feel that in some cases, those online application systems are more liability than asset. Once you get to a certain level in your career, it's better to go the direct route. I can't imagine someone at the director level or higher being expected to sit there and fill that stuff in. It's better to watch industry sites and the websites of companies you want to work for to learn about openings, and approach directly at the point. Better yet if someone in your professional network has a connection at the place in question.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Speak up about it all you want. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of redundant info is on the application because your resume is likely to never be seen. You asked why. I am just telling you how it works here.
I plan on it

And I am just telling you that in a lot of cases it is a complete waste of time.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,502 times
This is just awful. Why did our country have to go this route?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search