Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I wasn't prepared to leave one and if I didn't my voice would have sounded shaky so i didn't even bother.
So hang up, gather your thoughts, call back, and leave a message.

That said, I can't imagine it's that difficult to come up with, "Hello Ms. X, this is TVSG. I sent my resume for the ABC position that was advertised on Craigslist last week, and I wanted to follow up to be sure you had received it and to see if it would be possible to schedule an interview to review it with you. You may reach me at 215-555-1212 at your convenience. Thank you." on the fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I just left the message and stated my name and what position I applied for last week and where it was posted and that I was following up on the resume submitted for the job opening that was posted last week and left my number to be contacted. So let's see if I hear anything between now and the end of the week.

I believe if I don't hear anything tomorrow then I wasn't one of the ones they selected to interview which I already knew anyway since I applied last Tuesday but only followed up to prove a point because that's something I don't normally do.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 08-08-2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: deleted orphaned section

Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
How long was it after you posted the job did the guy contact you?
He submitted his resume 4 days after I posted the position, he called me the very next day.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So hang up, gather your thoughts, call back, and leave a message.

That said, I can't imagine it's that difficult to come up with, "Hello Ms. X, this is TVSG. I sent my resume for the ABC position that was advertised on Craigslist last week, and I wanted to follow up to be sure you had received it and to see if it would be possible to schedule an interview to review it with you. You may reach me at 215-555-1212 at your convenience. Thank you." on the fly.

I did that left a message stating my name and what position I applied to and where the position was posted but said the wrong date. I stated it was posted last Tuesday but said August 7th instead of July 31st but she should know what I;m talking about anyway because I stated the what position it was and when it was posted just said the wrong date.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
He submitted his resume 4 days after I posted the position, he called me the very next day.
Well I submitted my resume the same day and followed up today which means it's OVER-LOL

Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
I just left the message and stated my name and what position I applied for last week and where it was posted and that I was following up on the resume submitted for the job opening that was posted last week and left my number to be contacted. So let's see if I hear anything between now and the end of the week.

I believe if I don't hear anything tomorrow then I wasn't one of the ones they selected to interview which I already knew anyway since I applied last Tuesday but only followed up to prove a point because that's something I don't normally do.
When trying to get hired for a position, you never know how the person doing the hiring is going to be. You have a 50/50 shot. Some will be like me and appreciate the initiative, and then well, others may be like annerk who thinks having to deal with people is a waste of her time.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
When trying to get hired for a position, you never know how the person doing the hiring is going to be. You have a 50/50 shot. Some will be like me and appreciate the initiative, and then well, others may be like annerk who thinks having to deal with people is a waste of her time.
I think part of is I normally get replies to a job posting I want so I never had to follow up. Well I will say 90% of the time I apply to a job I have interest in I get a call back, So looks like that Job I applied to last tuesday fell into that 10%

Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
I don't think having to deal with people is a waste of my time. I think people who can't follow directions are a waste of my time. I don't post "fake" ads and I at least skim every resume that comes in when I post a job. I don't have the time or inclination to talk to a bunch of people who I have no intention of hiring.

Generally within 72 hours or so of receiving a resume, I contact those who I want to set up and interview with and send a TBNT email to the rest.

People who send me a resume and then call me the next day (even though my ad says no calls) to make sure I received it waste my time and prove their stupidity and inability to follow directions--why should I hire someone who is stupid and doesn't respect my time?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
It is a crap shoot, but there are some solid loser. If the ad specificaslly states NO PHONE CALLS, calling indicated you can not or will not follow directions. We may have a posting where it specifically states No Phone Calls. The main reason is the local offices are not resposnible for that position and calling them waste their time and will get you no additional information. I also know that even if the no calls wasn't in the ad, calling outside of business hours tends to **** the workers off big time.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Everybody doesn't deserve to have a shot if they have no idea what they're doing. I run a business, not a day care, and while we have a couple of apprentices, they all have some sort of previous experience (in their field) or trade school before they begin working for us.

not even for bagging groceries, stocking merchandise, gathering shopping-carts, being a ticket-taker a movie theater, flipping burgers, washing dishes, bussing tables? something that can easily be learned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search