Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 AM

134 posts, read 367,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
So what would you rather have gotten?

A. No response at all.
B. You suck so we're not hiring you.
C. The response you got.

Companies can't win. If they take the time to respond they are criticized. If they ignore you they are criticized. What do people want? A phone call with the hiring manager singing "Soft Kitty" on the other end?
B. Not in a pure insulting manner, but a matter-of-fact straight reason. Then I would know what I need to improve.

Though, I imagine if every company did that there would be a lot more lawsuits flying around, not all of them unjustified either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc212 View Post
B. Not in a pure insulting manner, but a matter-of-fact straight reason. Then I would know what I need to improve.

Though, I imagine if every company did that there would be a lot more lawsuits flying around, not all of them unjustified either.
And what if the answer was simply "there was a more qualified applicant"? Why should the employer have to go into detail? Maybe they just liked the other persons personality better.

Often it's something difficult to quantify with metrics. Obviously if the person they hire has more experience, more education, but that's quite often not even a factor. If both applicants are equally qualified, they're going to choose the one they like on a personal level best. And then what do they say? Wouldn't you rather get a generic letter than one that says "we didn't like you on a personal level?"

It's not like you can change your personality. And even if you did because one employer didn't like it, it doesn't mean that the next one wouldn't have been looking for the person you are rather than the one you are trying to be.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 AM

75 posts, read 55,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
So I just got another "thanks but no thanks" rejection and it really strikes me as funny. It says:

We've been fortunate to have a number of candidates apply for the position, and would like to inform you that we're going to pursue one of the other applicants at this time.

So....I guess when it was an "employee's market" they were unfortunate to have limited "unqualified" applicants to choose from? Isn't that the excuse companies are giving for not filling positions?
Be grateful that you even received a rejection letter. I don't even bother notifying candidates that they have been rejected. It's not worth my valuable time.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman62 View Post
I wouldve printed that email, went directly to the person that did not hire you, show him the email, and taken him to lunch.

That email speaks volumes about your character as an employee, it tells me ( even if its not true ) that you an entitled, combative employee who would be overtly sensitive to critique, and make the workplace a nightmare.
You judged wrong.

I was simply pointing out the carelessness of the "fortunately..." clause.

If it was worded differently - as in many of the rejection e-mails I have received - I would have reacted with a "thank you for taking the time to interview me", or perhaps I would have neglected to send a response. A good rejection e-mail does not announce the employer's fortune in having you pitted against many other qualified candidates.

If the potential employer can "critique" me, certainly I can critique the potential employer. I see myself as "entitled" with that right.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya Business View Post
Be grateful that you even received a rejection letter. I don't even bother notifying candidates that they have been rejected. It's not worth my valuable time.
It should be. What time does it take to send an e-mail to candidates you reject? Perhaps 5 minutes total? Does the value of 5 minutes of your time outweigh closure on their part?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I've heard of people who have received reject emails/letters from their new employers two months after being hired.

That's how disorganized some HR departments are.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It should be. What time does it take to send an e-mail to candidates you reject? Perhaps 5 minutes total? Does the value of 5 minutes of your time outweigh closure on their part?
The last time I publicly advertised a job, I got over 500 resumes. It took me a hell of a lot of time to respond to each of them with a generic TBNT email, but I did. And then I decided I'd never post a help wanted ad like that again.

The worst part was that 3/4 of them didn't even have a single qualification that I was looking for. How does "cashier at Walmart" as a career high point translate to "experienced marketing pro with experience negotiating print buys and strong Photoshop and InDesign skills?"

My point is that I hear all this chatter about employers wasting the time of applicants, well what about the applicants that waste the time of employers by applying for jobs they aren't even remotely qualified for, and then getting upset when they don't hear back? I really wonder if a lot of people even read the ad, or if they just send their resume out blindly to any ad they find.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I once interviewed on a Monday and was told that I'd get an answer by the end of the week. The week ended and nothing but silence. I just kept on looking and a month later, I got the call from HR offering me the job (which I've accepted). Moral of the story is that no news isn't always bad news.
And back when I was in college, I know that was many years back, a few students called back on interviews and were invited to the office at company expense. Those who didn't never heard back.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The last time I publicly advertised a job, I got over 500 resumes. It took me a hell of a lot of time to respond to each of them with a generic TBNT email, but I did. And then I decided I'd never post a help wanted ad like that again.

The worst part was that 3/4 of them didn't even have a single qualification that I was looking for. How does "cashier at Walmart" as a career high point translate to "experienced marketing pro with experience negotiating print buys and strong Photoshop and InDesign skills?"

My point is that I hear all this chatter about employers wasting the time of applicants, well what about the applicants that waste the time of employers by applying for jobs they aren't even remotely qualified for, and then getting upset when they don't hear back? I really wonder if a lot of people even read the ad, or if they just send their resume out blindly to any ad they find.
And I never understood why people sent out 100 resumes because that's not accomplishing anything if you have no experience for the job. And people really feel productive because they sent out a 100 resumes not realizing it means nothing.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
It strikes me as unnecessary. I know a rejection letter is going to be a generic form letter, and not tell me anything about why I didn't get the job. They don't need to tell me they got lots of applicants. It may or may not even be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search