Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:20 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times

Advertisements

A friend of my - An IT professional - got a call from the HR recruiter of a big corporation on Monday, first phone interview on Tuesday, second phone interview on Wednesday, and at Thursday an official job offer. So if they really want you, they will do it fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
True. What is fascinating is few people job-hunting realize an atmostphere terrific for job growth would most benefit potential employees. This overabundence of supply harms potential employees. Nothing cracks me up more than the snarky comments from "job seekers" railing against improving business conditions nationally, versus regulating them to death.
I don't think anyone here is opposed to encouraging business, but we do realize that there is not much one can do to encourage the hiring of US citizens as long as companies can instead hire slave labor (overseas slaves, illegals, whatever.)

Also, one would think business would encourage hiring, too, since it's harder to sell products when an ever-increasing chunk of the population is unemployed and heading into poverty. Interestingly, business doesn't seem to care at all about the long-term consequences of their actions.

Anyway, as others have said, most job postings have nothing to do with actually hiring anyone. It's all about appearing to meet quotas and be fair to people, provide the illusion of a healthy company, and support "The Recovery" which has been instrumental in providing fuel for the insane notion that the unemployed "deserve" their plight since "there are so many jobs out there." Hahaha... right... *sooo* many jobs...

Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I don't think anyone here is opposed to encouraging business, but we do realize that there is not much one can do to encourage the hiring of US citizens as long as companies can instead hire slave labor (overseas slaves, illegals, whatever.)
Not totally true. The employee grossing 50k is most likely taking home 38k; while his cost to an employer is most likely 75k or so. (Figure headcount driven beenfits add 15k-20k, (mostly Health Care), while the rest adds 15% of gross to employer cost.

Think about that; 38k employee costs an extra 37k for employer. And of that 37k, only 7k or so (14% FICA after deducting section 125 Health Care employee costs plus 401k contribution from gross) has any future value to the employee. That leaves 30k of added costs with no future benefit on 50k of wages.

We focus incorrectly on baseline wage costs. Due to the massive cost to ship 8,000 miles from Asia, often that can be overcome, as long as 30k adders are avoided on 50k jobs.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Bobtn: Not sure what you're getting at... slave labor also has far lower overhead, so the point still stands - companies will continue to hire slaves (be they overseas or illegals) vs. locals who need a living wage since it is cheaper.

If what you're saying is that getting rid of all the overhead here would fix that problem, then we're back to comparing baseline wages. One could say that the locals would be paid more since products don't have to be shipped a huge distance, but as long as there are so many people out of work, wages can continue to be reduced to slave levels, if that's what's desired.

There's really no way around it: somebody has to pay for the fact that we live in a developed nation and have: lots of solid infrastructure, decent health care, a stable government, etc. Companies don't want to pay for this stuff (though they are happy to live here), so they hire slaves elsewhere. If we remove the burden from them, we're stuck paying for it, which won't work because our wages alone won't be high enough to pay for it all.

If we're going to compete with the 3rd world and focus only on reducing costs, than we all have to be willing to live in prison apartments, drink toxic water and breath toxic air, and enjoy repressive government, a lack of social services and support nets, and so on... that's how our competition lives, and I don't think that's where we should be going as a nation.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Bobtn: Not sure what you're getting at... slave labor also has far lower overhead, so the point still stands - companies will continue to hire slaves (be they overseas or illegals) vs. locals who need a living wage since it is cheaper.

If what you're saying is that getting rid of all the overhead here would fix that problem, then we're back to comparing baseline wages. .
I'm saying we are adding 30k to the 50k job when we are trying to go head-to-head, making it far liklier we will LOSE the battle. Here is an analogy: If you are managing a baeball game, down 2 runs, after 6 innings. Do you bring in a reliever who typically gives up 2 runs per inning, or one who most often shuts down the opponent. If you like that $30 extra, you choose the former. I'll choose the latter. My odds of overcoming the 2 run deficit are higher than yours.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Bobtn: Oh, I don't disagree with the math. All I'm saying is that the "race to the bottom" for cost savings is killing this nation, and no matter how we try to shuffle the costs around, the end result is the same. We cannot compete with slave labor on costs unless we wish to become slaves ourselves.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Bobtn: Oh, I don't disagree with the math. All I'm saying is that the "race to the bottom" for cost savings is killing this nation, and no matter how we try to shuffle the costs around, the end result is the same. We cannot compete with slave labor on costs unless we wish to become slaves ourselves.
We do not ever have to. It costs in excess of 12k with freight, duties, offloading, etc to get the average 40' container from Asia to middle America. Divide that by units within, add that to the LABOR costs. Add in just in time requirements "mushy cost", and close calls in cost often stay here. This year, several corps INSOURCED stuff from overseas. GE brought back refrigerator production to Kentucky; Tn is getting tire mfg back from China, just to name a few.

Our grave danger will be professional positions with rote tasks. Those do not share a giant freight or jit barrier to entry.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,896 times
You see old movies where one of the characters needs a job and they just walk somewhere and tell the manager they need a job...."okay, start tomorrow". Only movies, but it was like that for alot of people in the past.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:19 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
You see old movies where one of the characters needs a job and they just walk somewhere and tell the manager they need a job...."okay, start tomorrow". Only movies, but it was like that for alot of people in the past.
Yes, it was.

My father and his cousin (both in their 70s) told me of how you could easily walk out from one job and get another that day. Didn't like a job an agency sent you on?

Just get another. Easy.

Yeah, the 50s sucked with the Red Scare and everyone paranoid about the Commies but it was easy to get a job. Unless you were a total **** up you could get something.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Heck, that was true even in the mid 1990's. I got my first job at a hardware store that way. They were hiring, I called them up to schedule an interview. It was brief - no stupid games - and they checked to make sure I was who claimed, and I got the job.

These days I would need to pass a 100-question BS test, which I could only pass by lying since I have free will and they don't like that, and then I'd need several on-site interviews... then they would wait a few months... only to end up hiring an illegal or some nonsense instead. It's absurd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search