Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 PM

57 posts, read 252,724 times

Advertisements

I had a phone interview and two in person interviews at a place I really like. They all went well, had me fill out an app for background check and references, and gave me a tour of the office at the end of the third interview.

VP even said I had more skills than the other candidates, and that if I didn't end up thinking this position was right for me, he would like to talk to me about potentially filling a more senior position. I sent thank you emails to everyone I met, and included a thing to the VP about being very interested in the other job he mentioned.

Third interview was last Thursday (5/31), sent thank yous on Friday (6/1), but nothing from them yet. I asked when they were looking to hire, and was told the organization can take a while to hire, but they needed someone soon.

VP actually emailed me back Thursday (6/7), thanking me for the email and for following up with him (I assume this is good?), said he was really busy with major data migrations and that he was sorry he didn't respond earlier, and asked if I was available for a quick call the next day (yesterday.) I responded that I was available at this convenience, and waited for his call the next day. Obviously, we didn't have a set time.

He never called or emailed me back. I assume that he was just busy with those IT migrations and ran out of time. I take it as a good sign he even bothered to email me and ask to talk to me, right? Should I wait on Monday to see if he calls and then email him, or just go ahead and email him on Monday and suggest another time to talk?

Also, I haven't heard anything about the original job I applied for there (which the VP would unlikely be calling me about, since it's not in his department.) Should I follow up on that on Monday too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
It couldn't hurt to try to contact him this week, but this nonsense is typical these days - companies don't get back to candidates. It's rude, but it is the modern way.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
...said I had more skills than the other candidates
...they needed someone soon.
...He never called or emailed me back.
Do you date much?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It couldn't hurt to try to contact him this week, but this nonsense is typical these days - companies don't get back to candidates. It's rude, but it is the modern way.

Good luck.
That's ridiculous - did you read the post and absorb the timeline? The interviewer called Thursday, said he might call on Friday and now it's the weekend.

OP I don't think it's a good idea to call on Monday but wait. Obviously the man is busy and the company is also busy, Monday is the start of a new work week and there's a fine line between enthusiasm and pestering. If he hasn't contacted you by close of business Monday you could send him a very brief reminder but even better that you wait until early afternoon Tuesday. I'm sure others will feel differently but that's my opinion. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's ridiculous - did you read the post and absorb the timeline? The interviewer called Thursday, said he might call on Friday and now it's the weekend.

OP I don't think it's a good idea to call on Monday but wait. Obviously the man is busy and the company is also busy, Monday is the start of a new work week and there's a fine line between enthusiasm and pestering. If he hasn't contacted you by close of business Monday you could send him a very brief reminder but even better that you wait until early afternoon Tuesday. I'm sure others will feel differently but that's my opinion. Good luck!
I did read the post. That's why I said "get back to him the next week." Not "call him Monday and demand an answer."

I apologize if I came off as saying "demand an answer now!" That's not what I meant.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
What irked me was the generalization, "but this nonsense is typical these days - companies don't get back to candidates. It's rude, but it is the modern way..." when it's clear that the VP had in fact been in touch with the OP.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What irked me was the generalization, "but this nonsense is typical these days - companies don't get back to candidates. It's rude, but it is the modern way..." when it's clear that the VP had in fact been in touch with the OP.
And I apologized for any misintepretation of what I was saying.

All I was getting at was:

1) Call the guy back SOMETIME in the next week - not Monday.

2) Don't expect a response. Many of the unemployed have been down the path where we're told "we're a great fit" for the job, and people promise to call us "by the end of the week," or whatever, and then the company rep vanishes and ignores all follow ups. I was trying to save him some disappointment - it's not him, but it's the way business is done these days, sadly. That being said, it doesn't hurt to keep waiting and apply to other jobs. The worst they can do is ignore you.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 AM

57 posts, read 252,724 times
OP is she, for the record

I agree, I wasn't planning on demanding an answer first thing Monday, but was going to wait until Monday to let him know that I would be very interested in rescheduling (or something like that.)

I think that if he wanted to blow me off and not get back to me on purpose, he wouldn't have emailed me back and suggested a phone call. I've had plenty of VPs and others ignore follow ups, but this is a first for me.

I am continuing to send me resume out, so I'm not waiting around for them, but I love the organization and the VP follow up sounded promising.

tl;dr: Will follow up with VP Monday afternoon/probably Tuesday. And then move on if I don't get a response.

On the plus side, I found out today I don't have to retake my GRE's to apply for an MBA, so hopefully I'll be at least going to school full time by the end of the summer!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akinva View Post
OP is she, for the record

I agree, I wasn't planning on demanding an answer first thing Monday, but was going to wait until Monday to let him know that I would be very interested in rescheduling (or something like that.)

I think that if he wanted to blow me off and not get back to me on purpose, he wouldn't have emailed me back and suggested a phone call. I've had plenty of VPs and others ignore follow ups, but this is a first for me.

I am continuing to send me resume out, so I'm not waiting around for them, but I love the organization and the VP follow up sounded promising.

tl;dr: Will follow up with VP Monday afternoon/probably Tuesday. And then move on if I don't get a response.

On the plus side, I found out today I don't have to retake my GRE's to apply for an MBA, so hopefully I'll be at least going to school full time by the end of the summer!
Oops - I apologize for the assumption that you were a "he."

Sounds like a good plan, and good luck!

Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 PM

154 posts, read 524,698 times
You may want to shoot them an email that states:
- You know they must be busy so no need to reply to this email.
- Send them your availability for a call for the upcoming week.

Leave it at that. No need to mention the missed call, etc. Keep it short and sweet.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search