Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times

Advertisements

anna that one wasn't aimed at you personally. i meant that those here who feel that if an interviewer asks that question, he/she isn't going to hire you anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:06 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
what was your experience? You was asked this at the beginning of the interview?
It was the first and only question he asked, and I was left speechless. it's such an open ended question--I didn't know if he wanted to know about my personal or professional life. The interview ended very quickly

Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
I;m serious, every single question I been asked on a interview and tell me about yourself was not one of them. The closest someone came to asking me that question was at the end of the interview when he said..."why should I hire you?"
"Why should I hire you" is definitely different from "Tell me about yourself."

Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It was the first and only question he asked, and I was left speechless. it's such an open ended question--I didn't know if he wanted to know about my personal or professional life. The interview ended very quickly
I don't think the question is a deal killer and even if it were, I'm going to try and sell myself...better than saying nothing. I've always taken it in regards to my personal life, maybe throw in a few hobbies, my demeanor, my attributes. There's usually another question or opportunity later to get down to the technical aspects and specific skills anyhow.

For all I know that guy that I'm replacing might have been an obnoxious loudmouth who wanted to set his own agenda, or any other negative reason. I need to convince the interviewer. I'm not that guy.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,926 times
Tell them you like TV & sports.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Tell them you like TV & sports.

I didn't post this question for stupid replies. Either be mature or post elsewhere

Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
I'm a little surprised that people aren't more familiar with the question, it's a very common way to start an interview. It's basically a way to give your "elevator speech," a quick summary of who you are, what you've done, and what you're wanting to do.

I agree "Why should I hire you?" is very different, it's true that it is an opportunity to sell yourself and your skills, but the fact that they are needing convincing may not be good.

When people really should be worried is when they start asking about employment gaps in the distant past that have since been closed. At that point you know they're just looking for a reason to disqualify you.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,926 times
Quote:
I didn't post this question for stupid replies. Either be mature or post elsewhere
I hear ya...I'm pretty immature.

Generally though and as others have pointed out, it's not usually a question they ask if they plan on taking it any further, which is why I take such questions with a grain of salt.

That's just my experience anyway.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
I been getting mixed answers to this question. Some say you are only supposed to sell your "personality and character" and then some say you are supposed to talk about your strengths and linked them to the job you are applying for. I struggled with this question last month because no one never asked me this question on a job interview and it showed because the interview went downhill from the beginning.

So what type of response is best for "Tell me about yourself?
I think it's kind of catch all question and your answers should relate to the job/profession. You're X, Y, and Z and here's an example as to why. From there list off your accomplishments, trainings, experiences, whatever where you think you might be useful to the co. Ideally you'll have something prepared that relates to the job description.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times
The stupidest one , and the one I have the hardest time with is "Why do you want to work for this Co'.? I just feel like telling them, "I really don't want to work for you or anyone else, but since the lottery isn't paying off and I can't find a sugar momma, I figure your Co. is a good place to kick it for awhile and pay a few bills and get some good green". I swear next time I go on an interview , I really don't want the job , I'm telling them this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search