Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
"Tell me about yourself" is not intended to be an open-ended question. If an applicant gives an open-ended answer, starts telling their life story, etc., that tells the interviewer that the applicant is probably not going to be a good fit since they haven't done their homework on how to present themselves.
So what is the question asking then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
"Tell me about yourself" sounds like code speak for "Tell us what you know about us."

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I been getting mixed answers to this question. Some say you are only supposed to sell your "personality and character" and then some say you are supposed to talk about your strengths and linked them to the job you are applying for. I struggled with this question last month because no one never asked me this question on a job interview and it showed because the interview went downhill from the beginning.

So what type of response is best for "Tell me about yourself?
I view myself as a positive person that can react in a quick way to any question asked. Other than what is on my resume, what would you like to know about me?

Throws the ball BACK - if this is for a job on the phone, you need to think quick and respond in a positive way.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,544 times
It's basically an "executive summary" of your skills and experience, and of your objective/goal.

Wish I had known the right way to handle this question early on, I used to go on and on about various stuff that wasn't relevant.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
It's basically an "executive summary" of your skills and experience, and of your objective/goal.

Wish I had known the right way to handle this question early on, I used to go on and on about various stuff that wasn't relevant.
So they basically gave you a rope and let you hang yourself, because they didn't tell you what to talk about. You couldn't win, because they didn't tell you anything.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 PM

403 posts, read 867,774 times
Quote:
I been getting mixed answers to this question. Some say you are only supposed to sell your "personality and character" and then some say you are supposed to talk about your strengths and linked them to the job you are applying for. I struggled with this question last month because no one never asked me this question on a job interview and it showed because the interview went downhill from the beginning.

The answer should be a brief summary of your experience & history.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2byte View Post
The answer should be a brief summary of your experience & history.
But one article I read says you are supposed to sell your personality and character not discuss your work experience and skills.

So confusing.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:48 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,912 times
Quote:

I tell the interviewer that during the day I'm just some nobody but at night I'm a superhero/heroine fighting supervillians trying to take over the world...bwa hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2012, 12:42 AM

553 posts, read 1,209,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I view myself as a positive person that can react in a quick way to any question asked. Other than what is on my resume, what would you like to know about me?

Throws the ball BACK - if this is for a job on the phone, you need to think quick and respond in a positive way.
This

Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times
Quote:
But one article I read says you are supposed to sell your personality and character not discuss your work experience and skills.

So confusing.
That's what I think as well, because "about yourself" to me would have to address my time away from work also....I'm not on the the job 24 hours a day. I usually stress that I'm punctual, adapt well to change, am a problem solver, etc., and I'm going to use the same dilligence and strive for quality whether I'm waxing the car at home or working on your company's assignments, work orders, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search