Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times

Advertisements

I feel bad for people who have felonies. Is it hateful to say that even if you have the slightest misdemeanor your working life is pretty much over? Even one arrest can screw things up for you. Then you kind of wonder why people are even let out of jail because the record you get will follow you everywhere you go. For these people it's like they are still in prison just with no walls. Now you are legally required to disclose your status. In a time where millions of people with clean records can't get a job, being a felon puts you in the back of the line. It's very sad and it shows you how screwed up our justice/prison system is here in america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm curious, how far back they want to go? My previous job was over 18 years ago. Neither of my first two employers even exist anymore. I doubt I have any W2s or paystubs from that long ago either. My wife had a similar problem at her last new job. They claimed they couldn't verify her employment at a company 15 years earlier. Fortunately they didn't ask for anything and just let it go.
We go back 10 years for employment. We'll verify college education no matter how long ago.

We won't hire convicted felons.

And the number one cause for not extending an offer?

Failing the hair follicle drug test.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I feel bad for people who have felonies. Is it hateful to say that even if you have the slightest misdemeanor your working life is pretty much over? Even one arrest can screw things up for you. Then you kind of wonder why people are even let out of jail because the record you get will follow you everywhere you go. For these people it's like they are still in prison just with no walls. Now you are legally required to disclose your status. In a time where millions of people with clean records can't get a job, being a felon puts you in the back of the line. It's very sad and it shows you how screwed up our justice/prison system is here in america.
We'll hire folks with misdemeanors as long as it's not say.....a drunk driving conviction when driving is part of the job.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM
YAZ

And for folks that like to live the rock 'n' roll lifestyle......

Just because you passed the pre-employment drug screen doesn't mean you're free to party.

We do random testing annually.

The only difference with the drug testing is that for pre-employment, we do the hair test.

For post-injury, suspicion or random tests, we do the urinalysis.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
i actually got a copy of a background check that a major corporation did on me for job. When applying to a job just check the box and you can get a copy too.

its more than a simple credit check. it has all accounts that i have had open within the last several years (checking, mortgage, savings, credit cards, student loans) with all the balances any late payments average outstanding balance total credit available, it also has a full address history (even more than i included on the application), it has a check of prior job titles and dates of employments (im not sure if this is based on ss# records, tax records or information that ive provided on credit card or loan apps whatever) but its all there. Ive omitted employers on the app that showed up on the report. it also had criminal checks for every state and city that i have ever lived in. it had all my school records (name, date of attendance, diploma, certificates, degrees), marital status, ... it was comprehensive. additionally it showed everyone who had requested a copy of my information (it was broken down into subcategories - requested for loans: company a, b, c on date x, y, z then it had requested for employment purposes company a, b, c on date x, y, z). but i would be more concerned with a simple google search for the company that you added. if they dont see it on the background check they may just call or best case scenario theyll just assume that you never reported the job to any creditors and that you actually did work there. i think HR and hiring managers sometimes overlook minor infractions for people they really like and believe can do the job. it so much more than a copy of equifax or transunion report. only thing that wasnt on there were the employers notes from references checked. so i say its a 50-50 chance. good luck.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
It's a different world now uploading Resumes and Cover letters to the computers of potential employers. Most that I've seen won't let you submit your application if you won't agree to the background check.

For the uploaded applications, I've not seen a box or another way I could request a copy of a background check. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd be interested to see what a report contains.

And I totally agree with the earlier comments - an employer's background check obtains far more info than the 3 credit check sources show.

Thanks

MSR

Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It's a different world now uploading Resumes and Cover letters to the computers of potential employers. Most that I've seen won't let you submit your application if you won't agree to the background check.

For the uploaded applications, I've not seen a box or another way I could request a copy of a background check. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd be interested to see what a report contains.

And I totally agree with the earlier comments - an employer's background check obtains far more info than the 3 credit check sources show.

Thanks

MSR
typically on the form when you agree to having a background check run there is a line in the same area that states check if you would like to receive a copy of the report. but know that you only get a copy if the company actually runs the background check. i had already received an offer, filled out the official application (depending on the company its not the same as just an online profile for some it is) knew they had run the background check and subsequently got a copy in the mail.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
No, of course not. Some of these employers just have too much time on their hands and feel too empowered in this crappy economy. Others are just paranoid.
Minimum wage jobs are a perfect example, now you have to take personality tests from a company called Unicru and Kronos. These are overseas companies. If you don't pass the personality test sometimes your application won't ever be seen by a human. Such a long application process for a job that pays $8 an hour where you will be treated like a slave and have no guarantee of hours. Even if the government "fixed" the economy we would still have people out of work because of how picky employers have become even for the lowest jobs out there.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I had one done on me at my last job:

1/ Education credentials are verified.
2/ Previous positions (dates,company and position held) are verified.
3/ Criminal background checks are done.
4/ Any records of previous felony convictions are done.
5/ Previous addresses and SS number are verified.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM

245 posts, read 382,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
I actually worked for a screening company and can tell you from experience, don't lie!!! Your credit reports can show where you worked in the past and we used those to complete our reports to employers. Not saying you'll get caught but you might. It's common knowledge that most people aren't 100% truthful on their resumes/apps so a good investigator will catch you if you are embellished in any way. Totally agree with EZPeterson on this one for the reasons stated. Most screening companies have databases chalked full of employers with thief REAL contacts for employment verifications and no matter who you give as a reference, they'll call the people in thier databases and then you're busted. Bottomline, the truth always comes out in the end unless the company you are dealing with uses a crappy screening company
What about those employed that are paid in cash, that is certainly not going to come up on a background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search