Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times

Advertisements

He already tried getting low wage jobs and either he is considered over qualified or he gets no response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
First you to prove that you can KEEP yourself employed full time. Employers are going to look at your history and assume you tend to "burn out" or get sloppy too fast to work anything but day laborer temp jobs. You need to PROVE the opposite.

Make a plan to build a STEADY employment track record without worrying about career path for now.

1) Go get a low wage job (with standard bi-weekly paychecks) raking leaves, washing windows, painting houses, etc and work fulltime for at least 6 months. The goal is to establish a solid near-term work history. Get along with your co-workers and bosses.

2) Next, while still working for the landscaping/handyman company, apply for an entry level fast food job or a cashier job. The goal here is to get in with a well known company that looks recognizable on your resume (McDonalds, Target, Dunkin Donuts, etc). Do not allow yourself any time between jobs when you make the move - maintain employment.

3) Work that cashier or fast food job full time for at least a year, preferably two years. Stay there longer if there are upward mobility opportunities - head cashier is a potential goal, or shift manager. Always be punctual, mind your manners and build references.

Once you've worked these steady jobs 40 hrs a week for 2 years or more years, you will have shown an employer that you're capable of showing up on time every single day as required. Then, and only then, worry about "career goals".
This is great advice.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
He already tried getting low wage jobs and either he is considered over qualified or he gets no response.
OP needs to keep trying and never accept defeat. A person's attitude can be crippling, especially in this economy. Many think they are too good for low wage positions, so they blame the economy or being overqualified or whatever. I got a low wage job and I have a degree. I went through a temp agency and did some networking at church. This low wage job led to a better job. I am no one special. If I can get a low wage job with a college degree, any one can, unless you live in a part of the country where the ue rate is like 40%. I know I used to live in Yuma, AZ where the ue rate peaked at 27% and there were literally no jobs there. Even the Mexicans were going back to Mexico because they couldn't find jobs in Yuma. I had to move, but unfortunately, there are Americans who are stuck in these towns due to being underwater on a mortgage or whatever. If you are stuck in an area where the ue rate is above 20%, then you have my sympathy. If not, there are jobs out there.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Quit View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as combative to the suggestions. I even tried to be patient and reasonable with the people that are questioning my mental health and personality because I know they are well-intended and they offer some clues to this issue.

I have put thought into the advice I have read here and I have read this thread more than once, but you are asking me to make serious life decisions not so much within 7 pages of a thread, but to make these decisions within the course of 48 hours. I'm not on Shark Tank and I do have a bit of wiggle room to ponder a bit and I'd like to have a little time to reflect on this.

But I'll tell you where my brain currently is:

1- Get out of Dodge.

2- Make sure that the "Other Dodge" is a bit cheaper to get by on.

3- I'll continue my studies and getting the certificates as I earn them. Currently working on getting a certificate in Calculus and Statistics.

4- I'm leaning on simply taking my current resources and working on my own, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'll probably only earn about minimum wage. The fact is that sending out 1000+ resumes a month is an awful life strategy. When I really consider it, sending out those resumes uses 3 to 5 hours per day. Even at $7, I am wasting ~$1,500 / month of potential income.

5- In regards to programming: I will continue to learn. I have a few projects that I am working on. One is a website that I was considering turning into a business, but the idea was lambasted so hard that it is pointless to bother with it. I'm going to fix the code base and "give it forward" by open sourcing the entire project. I'll probably do a few more major projects and do the same with them. I'd like to create a nice Statistical Marketing and Metrics program and open source it.

6- Eventually look for a mentor or someone that can offer guidance. This will be the most difficult step for me, but it is possible that this is the most vital step I will make. This may be 6 months to a year down the road because I don't want to be a full-on "taker" and I hope that whomever I talk to can appreciate what I have accomplished and will hopefully take something of value from me for his or her insight.

Just note that I am quite prone to changing my mind on things, but perhaps the answer to the title of this thread is "Now."
One thing my past and present employers have told me they appreciate about me is I take in what more experienced people say, ask questions that are relevant to the job at hand and then put my nose to the grindstone to get it done without any drama. I'm a self starter that doesn't need constant supervision.

It's always hard to say from reading what people write as it's just one dimension of you, but if you are combative here and are gobbing off back at people, that might be coming across to others out in the world. A lot of times it's better to take in advice, process what you think is relevant or not and then move on forward.

For starters, yes, might not be a bad idea for a change of scene. California is a cesspool of leftist policies and spending that have broken the state financially. You can look all over the internet, but companies have been fleeing the state as fast as possible. It's a state of the past, not the future. I'd look at growing states like Texas with a lower costs of living and positive job growth.

Education and skills are important. You can never stop seeking that out. Work at school, pick and choose, if not pick and shovel.

Sending out resumes by the 100's and 1000's mostly I found was a waste of time. Many moons ago, I spent the money to get a certification for a certain job and spent the next few years sending out God knows how many resumes and wasting tons of money and time. I got a few nibbles but none good enough to leave the great job I had and really at the end of the day I just wasn't that passionate about it. Hiring managers might have picked up on that. Funny enough once I pursued the dream job in the motorsports/automotive industry I always wanted but other people told me I'd never get, I got offers almost immediately. Also instead of sending out resumes cold, I tried establishing contact with all the different companies on a more personal level. Since then most jobs I have got have been due to other people's recommendations.

These days also "The Bio" seems to be more popular than just a resume. So now I have a Bio that is a paragraph, along with a headshot. And I have a resume if people want more details.

If I was in your shoes, first thing I might do is say that you have one life, so how can you make a difference out there in the world and pursue what it is you really love? And then identify a few employers in that business(not hard to do with the internet these days) and then knock on their door.

The worst thing you can do is just have an attitude to a potential employer that you just want a job, any job. Rather phrase it as what you can do for them and that you have always wanted to do XYZ. In other words show some passion and interest and some enthusiasm.

Mentors. I have so many mentors you could hardly believe it. I constantly source out more experienced and skilled people to me to learn. You'd be surprised how many will give you the time if you let them.

Lastly, I have found as an instructor that teaching people techniques is one thing, but the mental part comes into it as well. For instance I can teach a certain technique, demonstrate it and then let the student do it, but if the student has a negative attitude or view of it, they make it harder on themselves because their brain will be constantly fighting against them. So often I find myself having to work with students on the mental side of things, not just techniques.

In your case, you can never say or reinforce that you are unemployable, rather the other way around. By saying you are employable, you'll be more intellectually honest about your strengths and your weaknesses and failings you need to work on to get better.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You're a bit of an enigma, I'll grant you that. Perhaps you don't fit into a neat little mold after all. Hard to say. My philosophy is that the proof of the pudding is in the taste. Let me ask you this.

During the decade that you have been without employment, surely you have seen others; people who are less intelligent, less articulate, less talented, less determined to get a job, do JUST THAT - get a job. Let me ask you, since you seem to have a gift of introspection. Why do you suppose that they got jobs and you did not? Certainly, by your own admission, with the exception of length of time unemployed, you have everything in the world going for you. If you were an employer would you pick the inexperienced, unmotivated, incompetent applicant with only a few months break in their job record over YOU? That wouldn't make sense.

20yrsinBranson
Results are what matters out there. When one doesn't get results, then hard questions have to be asked of one's self.

There are 2 types of poverty. One of which is imposed by government through it's statist policies that kill prosperity and the other is from your own misfortune, mistakes or circumstances.

Government has screwed up the economy which has made it tough on everyone, especially employers. As a result, a lot of people ended up in the 2nd scenario. Personally I believe we are in a depression, just that it's been papered over with by a compliant media and keynesian spending.

However there is always work to be had somewhere. One might have to move to find it or do things they never expected, but it's out there.

So once Never Quit lets his defenses down about this or that that happened and honestly looks at why they don't have the results, then they might have an epiphany that will allow him to move forward in a positive way.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:28 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
OP needs to keep trying and never accept defeat. A person's attitude can be crippling, especially in this economy. Many think they are too good for low wage positions, so they blame the economy or being overqualified or whatever. I got a low wage job and I have a degree. I went through a temp agency and did some networking at church. This low wage job led to a better job. I am no one special. If I can get a low wage job with a college degree, any one can, unless you live in a part of the country where the ue rate is like 40%. I know I used to live in Yuma, AZ where the ue rate peaked at 27% and there were literally no jobs there. Even the Mexicans were going back to Mexico because they couldn't find jobs in Yuma. I had to move, but unfortunately, there are Americans who are stuck in these towns due to being underwater on a mortgage or whatever. If you are stuck in an area where the ue rate is above 20%, then you have my sympathy. If not, there are jobs out there.
Most of the hiring process is now a dog eat dog crap shoot. I'm a firm believer that the main issue is the whole hiring process itself, not the person seeking the job. Most of it is done online, and you have to take a lengthy unicru test that can potentially filter you out of the consideration line. Not hired, but to be considered. Did I mention most managers will NEVER call people for interviews? Add that to the fact that there are so many applications, now the manager can be selective on who gets the stocker job or drive thru order taker. But they usually hire their friends. It's a crap shoot. And you expect decent people to get hired for these jobs?

I see people get hired with no effort and I see people like myself and OP who put lots of effort and got nothing out of it. I'm not picky about jobs, I don't care if it's a mcdonald's crew member. My problem is trying to get around all the BS in today's society.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Most of the hiring process is now a dog eat dog crap shoot. I'm a firm believer that the main issue is the whole hiring process itself, not the person seeking the job. Most of it is done online, and you have to take a lengthy unicru test that can potentially filter you out of the consideration line. Not hired, but to be considered. Did I mention most managers will NEVER call people for interviews? Add that to the fact that there are so many applications, now the manager can be selective on who gets the stocker job or drive thru order taker. But they usually hire their friends. It's a crap shoot. And you expect decent people to get hired for these jobs?

I see people get hired with no effort and I see people like myself and OP who put lots of effort and got nothing out of it. I'm not picky about jobs, I don't care if it's a mcdonald's crew member. My problem is trying to get around all the BS in today's society.
I've found that personal connections and recommendations, as well as your reputation go a lot further than any resume.

One company I sent a resume to, found the name of the manager I needed to speak to, contacted him and never got anywhere for a year. Was working another job and the lead on that heard from that other company they needed a few people and with his recommendation that other manager called me. My "interview" lasted 3 minutes and I got the job.

So a year of contacting that company and nothing and all it took was a recommendation from someone and I was in like that.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 AM

75 posts, read 315,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It's a pretty bad resume. It's not about the experience, but it is mixed up and scattered without focus.

Your strength is programming. Your focus is on the wrong thing by taking more programming classes, instead of fixing your weakness. You could be twice as good a programmer in a few weeks. It's not going to get you a job, if nobody knows it from your resume.

What you are doing is not effective. Another 50 hours won't make it effective. You could learn from other people and move in a different path. Speak to some older people who are farther along in their careers than you.

svCareerMinistry.com - Helping Job Seekers Find and Win Opportunities
Career Development and Growth NOW! (Sherman Oaks, CA) - Meetup
Tuesdays with Transitioners (Northridge, CA) - Meetup
The Irvine Job Club (Irvine, CA) - Meetup

I never got an associate's degree. I had been making less than $12/hr and had short periods of unemployment for over 12 years. I worked as a security guard, fast food worker, shipping clerk(mostly), call center work.

The difference? I went twice a week to a career skills class, about 5 years ago. I got an offer for $12.5k/more and another offer for $25k more, after 4 months in the class. I went from a $12/hr shipping clerk with Access and Excel reports to a business analyst job with Access and Excel reports.

Now, I make over $80k in another job, after I got laid off last year. I got more experience and was able to move on to another business analyst job with basic SQL skills to do "select" querying. It's not bad for giving up 1.5-2 hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays to take these worthless job hunting skills classes for a year.

I am way below your skill level technically. I don't even know what those programming languages are. You could be where I am, if you quit making up excuses and make being the best resume writer and interviewer, your #1 goal.
Okay, I didn't know about those places. I'll look up places that are in Los Angeles.

In regards to the resume: I already knew it was bad. The people who wrote it for me told me as such and they said that the main focus should be to show that I get up in the morning. I haven't been in contact with anyone since I left my last job, bu I went ahead and removed the extra stuff and now only the marketing position, projects, and certs are on their. I sent it out to a few places but I basically have the same results. I have one interview for an unpaid internship, but I'm not particularly gung-ho about working for free. The hours aren't bad, so I'm going to the interview anyways.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I wish I had the real data for the UE for LA, but the official number is something like 12%, but that's seriously skewed number. Anyways, the point that I thought I said over and over is that I have sent out 1,000s of resumes every month and yes, that is for everything from stocking shelves at Walmart to sweeping factory floors.

Having this job actually helps me a little bit in getting "nibbles" and callbacks. As I said, I went from 0/3000 callbacks to about 1/1000 callbacks. It's progress.

I'm still mystified at how my resume displays mental illness, acceptance of defeat, slouching shoulders, lack of confidence, a poor attitude, and all the other attributes you guys are telling me employers "see" in me. How can one make such judgements on someone they never spoke with?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One thing my past and present employers have told me they appreciate about me is I take in what more experienced people say, ask questions that are relevant to the job at hand and then put my nose to the grindstone to get it done without any drama. I'm a self starter that doesn't need constant supervision.

It's always hard to say from reading what people write as it's just one dimension of you, but if you are combative here and are gobbing off back at people, that might be coming across to others out in the world. A lot of times it's better to take in advice, process what you think is relevant or not and then move on forward.
Interesting. My last employer basically told me to sit in the corner office and do what I thought was needed to get my job done. I had almost zero guidance and yeah, I had a few failures.

The one thing I learned to tolerate is people questioning me, which is par for the course in certain fields. In fact, one well-placed question can destroy the entire model you build up and clobber any acceptance of your presentation. This is not a minor thing. Why would people question you? Imagine the tact it takes to suggest improvements: you have to be able to present these improvements without attacking the people you are supporting. It is a delicate balance because once you start to place blame unreasonably, you are going to get your opinions attacked. if you are very good at this, you can actually have a flimsy presentation, ask for help, and you will receive it. If I had called the sale team mentally ill and unhinged, I would not only be raised up for questioning, but I would most certainly expect those questions to be asked of me, and I feel that I would deserve to be questioned.

When I am offered a flimsy hypothesis, ie, that I am mentally ill, lack confidence, etc etc, and that employers can magically figure this out by merely deleting my resume, I feel the need to question this idea. My questions are actually peeking into deeper and more subtle issues; I will posit that you don't really see what I am doing here and if you think I am being combative, you're wrong.

As far as the rest your post, you seem spot-on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search