Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:06 PM

75 posts, read 315,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It doesn't matter how many resumes you send out. If you have a crappy attitude you aren't going to get a job, or IN YOUR CASE, KEEP A JOB.

Quit.Blaming. Everybody. Else.

20yrsinBranson
What special skill do people have that they can read or interpret a "crappy attitude" from a resume that I didn't even write? The last two interviews I went to where nearly an hour long and there was some joking, smiling, and interesting conversations even despite not getting hired. So, what crappy attitude do I have?

And I think I have been incredibly clear in my posts that I am not blaming anyone for my issues. I am simply wondering what it will take and what it is that I am doing wrong, not what is society doing wrong. There has been some great advice in this thread so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Take some time to do some soul searching and find out what really makes you happy. At the end of the day you are in charge of your life. Not anyone else. Who cares what other people think about you. You have to be happy with yourself. Otherwise it won't matter how much money you make or education you receive. You will be miserable.
Finding a job is not your biggest problem right now. You need to do some internal soul searching.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Besides getting out of Dodge. You need to identify your core values . You are just adrift in your life like some dopehead.

When you get a that pays $40k, you hate it. Yes, bad attitudes are noticeable in interviews for jobs you hate. It's easy to read the non-verbal cues or hear the change in somebody's tone. You ever talk to somebody that felt "fake" or trying to put on act, even though they seemed nice. You just picked up on the signs without even knowing it.

It seems that you grew up without strong male mentors and have none currently. You need to indentify a suitable mentor, who has had the success that you want. A gentleman with decades of experience of knowledge could teach you quite a bit. It could be an older friend, a neighbor, a friend's father. You need to call them up for lunch or coffee and ask them for their advice. Tell them how much you respect their knowledge and success in a certain area, and that you would like to pick their brain for some help on that area. Get 2 or 3 mentors.

You expending energy in the wrong way. It doesn't take much effort to send out 1000 resumes online. It takes far more effort to seek out mentors, customize resumes and cover letters for 10 resumes, going through 2 hour speed interview sessions with 10-15 strangers, driving out to 2-3 times a week to job hunting skills classes. Clicking "submit" at home is the minimum.

--Identify your core values and base your life decision on these values.
--Get 2 or 3 mentors.
--Take some job hunting skills classes.
--Stop sending out 1,000 resumes.
--Get some advice on your resume from your mentor or successful people that you meet at job hunting skills classes.
--Start going to weekly interview sessions.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 PM

75 posts, read 315,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Besides getting out of Dodge. You need to identify your core values . You are just adrift in your life like some dopehead.

When you get a that pays $40k, you hate it. Yes, bad attitudes are noticeable in interviews for jobs you hate. It's easy to read the non-verbal cues or hear the change in somebody's tone. You ever talk to somebody that felt "fake" or trying to put on act, even though they seemed nice. You just picked up on the signs without even knowing it.

It seems that you grew up without strong male mentors and have none currently. You need to indentify a suitable mentor, who has had the success that you want. A gentleman with decades of experience of knowledge could teach you quite a bit. It could be an older friend, a neighbor, a friend's father. You need to call them up for lunch or coffee and ask them for their advice. Tell them how much you respect their knowledge and success in a certain area, and that you would like to pick their brain for some help on that area. Get 2 or 3 mentors.

You expending energy in the wrong way. It doesn't take much effort to send out 1000 resumes online. It takes far more effort to seek out mentors, customize resumes and cover letters for 10 resumes, going through 2 hour speed interview sessions with 10-15 strangers, driving out to 2-3 times a week to job hunting skills classes. Clicking "submit" at home is the minimum.

--Identify your core values and base your life decision on these values.
--Get 2 or 3 mentors.
--Take some job hunting skills classes.
--Stop sending out 1,000 resumes.
--Get some advice on your resume from your mentor or successful people that you meet at job hunting skills classes.
--Start going to weekly interview sessions.
I wish I could upvote this multiple times. I really like this and I'll definitely take all of this advice. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,174 times
After 10 years and you still don't have a job there must be some underlying reason yet to be identified. so i say since your in LA you could try to develop a mediocre singing voice/ and or a talent go to the American Idol and America's got Talent tryouts and hope for the best!!! its not like you need to be at your job. I know on the east coast everyone who can't find a job ends up being a big rig truck driver. I know three former corporate employed friends who all got laid off and when their unemployment ran out they went to tractor trailer driving school and they all got jobs driving rigs for trucking companies.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 AM

110 posts, read 330,692 times
so Never Quit, you've had a bunch of people give their thoughts and advice on your situation...any particular route your leaning towards?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Not really...he'll have a degree, and then he'll be stuck with student loans working at McDonalds because then after all that college work he won't have the "2+ experience" REQUIRED!

That is a bunch of BS......because there are a LOT of fields where people can study on their own, and end up knowing MORE than those with degrees, and can be ten times more successful because learning on your own takes patience, skill, and perseverance, none of which are required by any school! nobody grades you, so you don't study for a test, you study for YOURSELF when you study on your own. It takes DISCIPLINE to do this! No college asks for that part!

What is the problem with wanting to work for a corporation? I think ONLY the ungrateful oppose that.

People like us without corporate jobs would love one just because we actually WANT TO WORK!
HR's really don't know where to find quality candidates these days. Which is sad because they end up hiring people who would rather sit at the beach doing nothing, and those who WANT to work remain unemployed! Kind of ironic & pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothisismyname View Post
It doesn't matter if your auto-didactic. you need a college degree

get a student loan from the government. Yes, it will put you in debt, but you will be able to work towards a bright future.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
NeverQuit- here's another suggestion.

1. Ask several different friends to critique your resume.
2. Ask several different friends to pretend to interview you for a job and then get their feed back & criticism.
3. Ask several different friends to critique your appearance vis a vis a job interview.
5. Ask several different friends to critique your personality in general.

You might get some vary valuable information this way which will help you determine which advice to take.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Quit View Post
What special skill do people have that they can read or interpret a "crappy attitude" from a resume that I didn't even write? The last two interviews I went to where nearly an hour long and there was some joking, smiling, and interesting conversations even despite not getting hired. So, what crappy attitude do I have?

And I think I have been incredibly clear in my posts that I am not blaming anyone for my issues. I am simply wondering what it will take and what it is that I am doing wrong, not what is society doing wrong. There has been some great advice in this thread so far.
Your post exhibits a crappy attitude by virtue of the fact that you are always getting fired and it is *always* somebody else's fault. You can't even have normal living conditions without ending up homeless because it is somebody else's fault. (Do you see a pattern here? I do).

You need to examine why you cannot "get along" in difficult situations, and learn to deal with them in an effective way so that you do not end up with this unmitigated and endless drama in your life.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What is the problem with wanting to work for a corporation? I think ONLY the ungrateful oppose that.

People like us without corporate jobs would love one just because we actually WANT TO WORK!
HR's really don't know where to find quality candidates these days. Which is sad because they end up hiring people who would rather sit at the beach doing nothing, and those who WANT to work remain unemployed! Kind of ironic & pathetic.

I have a decent job in the corporate world but in reality I would rather sit at the beach all day doing nothing but having fun in the sun. Believe me, I do have fun and do nothing when I am on vacation at my favorite beach. I am also very grateful for my corporate job and all the great benefits that come with it. that's why I perform my job duties to the best of my ability and give the employer 100% so they value my efforts and keep me around because of the way I handle what is required of me. I want/choose to work because it gives oneself a certain sense of accomplishment when the realize their efforts helped out the company in a positive way. Of course, I also want the money that comes with it. In my situation I don't have a college degree and my job doesn't really require a degree to perform. In some situations a college degree is absolutely required to be successful. case in point, I certainly would not want brain surgery done by a self taught/study doctor. I would insist on one who spent many years in college/med school practicing and learning his/her specialized skills from someone with the EXPERIENCE to know what to do that results in a successful outcome.
On the flip side, I know quite a few lazy people with college degrees that claim they can't find a job. I tell them Mc D's is hiring and they look at me like I am crazy but It's my way of saying if you really wanted to work you step off that high horse and do whatever it takes to make a buck. I have never ever opened the paper to the classified section and not seen the help wanted adds not displaying boatloads of job openings. come to think of it I have never seen monster.com or career builder.com not full of ten of thousands of Job listings.
IMHO It's all about your mindset as an individual you do what it takes to survive and get by in the good ole USA. some people flourish and others falter and have no one to blame but themselves. especially if you live in the capitalistic society of the USA. we all know there is favoritism,nepotism along with greed and corruption in corporate America. Its no different than politics today. Blaming those issues and the HR departments and the majority of hard working corporate Americans is a sorry excuse for not having a job or money to survive. Get your mind right and everything else will fall in place. Many a lazy day was spent lying in the sun when I could of been doing something productive but It was my choice and my choice alone to avoid the work and lay on the beach. Sometimes I might regret it the next day but I only have myself to blame. I can completely understand a disabled or mentally challenged person needing support/help. If you have two arms and two legs an a head on your shoulders and everything is in good working order there is no excuse for you NOT earning money. It's your attitude/mindset keeping you from finding some type of work even if you need to relocate to find a job. Hell even a panhandler is doing what it takes to get some money in their pocket even if they are gonna buy a bottle of MD 20/20 with the collected money its their choice. because of my wants and needs, I have held a paying job since i was 13. From washing dishes to flipping burgers to digging out/shaping inground pool with a pick axe to teaching myself all about computers and finding a cushy job in corporate America I have no one to blame but myself! I have been laid off and let go from jobs, but I always hit the ground running looking for my next income earning opportunity. I actually feel I could do so much more to make a buck but I am unwilling to put out the effort because I am content with what I already have and look more towards the quality of life experiences than earning money to get more stuff. Well, except for that boat that i have been craving for quite awhile now! To me its kind of ironic and pathetic when you blame others for your sorry butt not being able to find a way to make a buck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search