Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:23 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Id be surprised if this was "perfectly legal." Salary is actually a part of a private contract between an employer and employee. Id have to check with an attorney friend but Im pretty sure you aren't allowed to divulge contract details like this to other people. Plus hypothetically employees could dig up what their coworkers are being paid, this seems like it could be an HR nightmare.
Not exactly.

In government for the most part all salaries are public. Now the negotiations that might occur for them that is closed. There can be huge differences between the first draft of a collective bargaining agreement and the final version. I've worked in an area where the head had line item veto. When he wrote ok or no there were often no reasons behind it but once he said ok or no that was it.

With non profits the donors want to see how much administrators cost in the budget and often times that is shown in a 990 form. Here is meals on wheels.
http://www.meals-on-wheels.org/wp-co...90-FY-2013.pdf
They have a very very small budget relative to others. Non profits are generally rated on how they spend their funds vs administration costs. Grants go to capital, not operating.

In the private sector it used to be that salary is a private contract but that doesn't always make sense. If a company is publicly traded then shareholders have a right to know where it is being spent. Sarbanes Oxley also changed the legality of actions with top brass. Furthermore if it isn't exact there's then a standardized ranged based on a system of variables. Otherwise they'd be no real method of determining what someone makes and that makes it harder to budget and thus harder to expand.

Now a private company that is not publicly traded. Your guess is as good as mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Please do some more research before responding next time.

Equifax owns a service they call "The Work Number" that provides independent verification of employment for subscribing companies, banks, lenders, etc. It is complete with salary information, job title, dates of employment, and so forth. I use it on all applicants post phone screen, and have since 2006. More and more employers and payroll services are reporting to this database, which makes it very convenient - I can generally verify 80-90% of employment history in minutes.

Old Tired Man : if you'd like to PM me, I can provide you instructions on how to pull your own report, so you can see what I'm referring to. Believe me, it is FAR more detailed than what you think it is.
I just joined so I am not able to PM you EzPeterson. Could you please pm me with those instructions? Thank you

Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 PM

435 posts, read 635,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
checking your records of employment is not hard and a TRW tells me volumns about you.
the real killer is facebook.
My facebook profile is completely hidden and only people on my friends list can see it. A potential employer cannot do a search and find me on Facebook.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalillie View Post
My facebook profile is completely hidden and only people on my friends list can see it. A potential employer cannot do a search and find me on Facebook.
Eh...I'd be a tad careful about saying something like that. Even though I keep mind private I pretty much stop people from posting on my wall.

p. But all things being said I wouldn't exactly let facebook determine your security. Even with their passwords it still isn't a good idea. There are various filters that help remove anything that swears which I think can be a good hel

Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 PM

248 posts, read 341,176 times
Wow, if so much information is available about so many people, how is it possible that so many incompetent jackasses are working?

Especially Congress, the White House, etc?

Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 PM

368 posts, read 413,559 times
FACT: Unless you physically sign an IRS release form, SPECIFICALLY for a print out of your IRS pay/job etc history, NOBODY other than the IRS can view that information. Nobody. Ive been through this & know it to be a 100% guaranteed fact.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
I worked at FedEx for 2 weeks and decided to stop showing up. i don't mention it and don't put it on my resume and none of my other jobs seem to know, or they know but just don't care.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:57 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,060,147 times
In the 20+ years that I have been an active working adult, I have had my fair share of **** jobs, and little rinky dink fun part-time jobs. On my resume, I currently only go back 12 years and have only relevant career building jobs listed. If someone really wanted to dig into my work history, then yes, the Social Security background check would show them a consistent work history of real jobs and p/t work.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:37 AM

23 posts, read 40,918 times
I agree with the poster who stated there is a lot of misinformation on this thread.

I owned a small business for a few years, and we used a large third party verification company for our background checks, and trust me, there is absolutely NO way to verify a persons entire work history.
It can not be done, unless you ask for W2's and so on, Equifax does not have every employer youve ever worked for, and the SSA will absolutely NOT give anyone your tax worker history without your consent.

Old fashioned verification works wonders, if its a niche career, different companies and word of mouth within the industry are the best form of employment history verification known to man.

HR reps and background check companies have managed to convince people that they have magical databases that can access everything about a person.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,696 times
I checked my employment history on The work number . It doesnot say if I was fired or not rehirable . Can the potential employer see the same info or more . Like if I was fired or not rehirable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search