Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 115,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If it is caught after he gets hired, then he would be fired. He would then have to list that job on all future applications since it is now in employment history that employers can access via social security. They will then call for a reference and discover the lie and disqualify him.
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ume-get-2.html

Is this true or a miconception?

Interesting, I found a thread that could shed some light on this: is it possible for an employer to find places you have/haven't worked on a background check?

Upon further googling I think I found the answer to this question:

Quote:
For a fee, the Social Security Administration will prepare a history of your employment, and how much you earned from each employer each year. Presumably a prospective employer, especially one who requires a high security clearance, may ask you to sign a waiver to allow them to obtain such a history on you.
Quote:
most employers will not go through the trouble of paying the fee at the Social Security Administration in order to see all your past employers. They only run a criminal background check, credit check and they simply call your references. I believe that is the only way they can check to see if you lied on your resume. Most people do lie on their Resume and I don't see anything wrong with it. Why? Because your employers will look you dead in the eye and lie to you with a straight face. In this economy, I say do whatever the heck you need to do to get the job. Screw all the other self-righteous BS. TAKE CARE OF YOU!
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=170468

Last edited by Resume20; 03-05-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times
where there is a will there is a way

Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
So basically only high level clearance for top gov't will actually look at your 20 years of work with a microscope, pay all the fees and wait as it takes some time. --OK---I knew this when I was in high school. -??-This is news...? -OK.

(so I guess if you omit that crappy survival job off the books you had 10 years for 6 months and quit without notice don't even bother putting in on the resume or application. Nobody's going to know.) Thought as much.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM

107 posts, read 382,020 times
Social Security compiles total amount contributed to they system per year per employer. I looked at my "print out". You can go to SS administration and see yourself. It is not something that is casually available to anyone anywhere. If I recall correctly there is a special waiver you have to sign. This waiver is separate from the standard boilerplate background check waiver.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
checking your records of employment is not hard and a TRW tells me volumns about you.
the real killer is facebook.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Correct. The SSA will release that info, but it's rarely used.

More prevalent is Equifax's service that many employers report to, which can be accessed quickly, cheaply and is used regularly. Provides just about the same information.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 AM

281 posts, read 750,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Correct. The SSA will release that info, but it's rarely used.

More prevalent is Equifax's service that many employers report to, which can be accessed quickly, cheaply and is used regularly. Provides just about the same information.
FALSE: Equifax only lists the jobs you had when you applied for credit. In my Equifax report they only have the jobs I listed ten years ago because I did not apply for credit since then.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
FALSE: Equifax only lists the jobs you had when you applied for credit. In my Equifax report they only have the jobs I listed ten years ago because I did not apply for credit since then.
Please do some more research before responding next time.

Equifax owns a service they call "The Work Number" that provides independent verification of employment for subscribing companies, banks, lenders, etc. It is complete with salary information, job title, dates of employment, and so forth. I use it on all applicants post phone screen, and have since 2006. More and more employers and payroll services are reporting to this database, which makes it very convenient - I can generally verify 80-90% of employment history in minutes.

Old Tired Man : if you'd like to PM me, I can provide you instructions on how to pull your own report, so you can see what I'm referring to. Believe me, it is FAR more detailed than what you think it is.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 AM

244 posts, read 634,264 times
Do these checks say wether you quit or were fired?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
Do these checks say wether you quit or were fired?
Nope. Just begin and end dates.

Most employers won't disclose that information anyway, so I don't even bother asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search