Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
On the employee's side, things happen.

Maybe they were having car trouble, had to get a ride someone from else and the latest they could get that person to drop them off was an hour before the scheduled interview time.

Should that automatically disqualify them from the job?
automatic disqualification? of course not. but it is counted against you. anyway, you don't have to walk in the door the second you get there. unless the interview is seriously in the middle of nowhere, there has to be somewhere you can kill some time before you show up at the actual office (or whatever). even if you have to sit in a mcdonalds' for half an hour and then walk 10 minutes or something like that. or as the OP mentioned, it's not ideal, but you can ask the receptionist not to call the interviewer until closer to the start time.

things happen beyond applicants' control that make them late for interviews too. but that's the kiss of death unless you happen to have a very, very undestanding interviewer. that's just the way it is, so avoid doing either if you possibly can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
On the employee's side, things happen.

Maybe they were having car trouble, had to get a ride someone from else and the latest they could get that person to drop them off was an hour before the scheduled interview time.

Should that automatically disqualify them from the job?

No, but why not wait somewhere else until it is time?

Old 05-25-2013, 07:55 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No, but why not wait somewhere else until it is time?
Maybe the place is in the middle of nowhere, such as in the suburbs/exburbs? It may take a hour just to walk across the sea of parking the company has surrounded itself in to the nearest McDonalds.

My point is it shouldn't count against someone when goes wrong beyond their control. It shows a lack of empathy and consideration on the other party's part

And I hate the term "That's just the way it is." It's a such a passive-aggressive, complacent thing to say. It also ruins the conversation.

Last edited by 313Weather; 05-25-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
And this is not directed to any one person, but whenever I hear "That's just the way it is", I want to punch the person who said it in the lips. It's a such a passive-aggressive, complacent thing to say. It also ruins the conversation.
well, i mean, i just said exactly that, so how is it not directed to any one person? jesus. chill out with the violence please.

i am far from complacent but what do you expect to do to change basic job-searching conventions? we can debate all day about whether it's fair to penalize someone for being early, but the fact remains that fair or not, if you are a job searcher and you show up super early, odds are it is going to be held against you. probably if it's some super specific situation where there is absolutely no way to control when you get there, and you apologize and explain (and say that you are happy to wait until the start time to begin), it would be forgiven. but really, how often does that happen?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
well, i mean, i just said exactly that, so how is it not directed to any one person? jesus. chill out with the violence please.

i am far from complacent but what do you expect to do to change basic job-searching conventions? we can debate all day about whether it's fair to penalize someone for being early, but the fact remains that fair or not, if you are a job searcher and you show up super early, odds are it is going to be held against you. perhaps if it's some super specific situation where there is absolutely no way to control when you get there, it would be forgiven. but really, how often does that happen?
Like I said, I hate when it's said and that's the feeling I get when it's said, it doesn't matter who says it.

If that's the case, what's the point of discussing anything that doesn't seem right or logical?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 AM

i edited my post a little bit since you replied. i do think that if there's REALLY no possible way to avoid showing up early, you can say "sorry i'm so early; i allowed a lot of time to make sure i wasn't late and i didn't see anywhere to wait around here. i will be happy to wait until (interview start time) to see (interviewer)". hopefully that would help. depends on the interviewer. and i do think that the taboo against showing up early is right and logical except under the very specific and extreme circumstances you've outlined. it's inconsiderate. of course we can sit around inventing scenarios where it's unavoidable, but if it's avoidable, avoid it. that's all.

i think there's a point in discussing it, but i also think that there's a point to admitting that our opinions don't change the realities of life.

and own the fact that you just said you want to punch me in the face. just because you want to punch multiple people in the face doesn't change that you just included me in that category.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i edited my post a little bit since you replied. i do think that if there's REALLY no possible way to avoid showing up early, you can say "sorry i'm so early; i was dropped off by a friend and i didn't see anywhere to wait around here. i will be happy to wait until (interview start time) to see (interviewer)". hopefully that would help. depends on the interviewer. and i do think that the taboo against showing up early is right and logical except under the very specific and extreme circumstances you've outlined.

i think there's a point in discussing it, but i also think that there's a point to admitting that our opinions don't change the realities of life.

and own the fact that you just said you want to punch me in the face. just because you want to punch multiple people in the face doesn't change that you just included me in that category.
Fair enough.

But if there's any chance at changing those realities, having a open dialogue about them is a start IMO. From the responses I read in this thread, it would appear that anyone who was early for any reason is automatically written off by the interviewer.

And I also edited my post.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:54 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
If you are interviewing and show up too early, you may put pressure on the interviewer. I usually arrive 5 minutes before my appointment time (unless they request otherwise). I arrive to the office around 15-20 minutes early and wait in my car. I have had to wait 15-30 minutes for an interviewer, they usually apologize for being late.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
And I also edited my post.
appreciated.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
I do a Mapquest days before the interview, and scope out hotels and restaurants that are closest to the interview location.

I arrive early and then go to the hotel lobby with my notes, to study for the interview. Usually I will drive through the parking lot of the interview building first, to make a note where i will park and which door to enter.

Then walk into the door for the interview about 2-5 minutes early. If even 10 minutes early, I will tell the front desk person not to call yet, that I am a tad early and I will take a seat first. Then I go the the front desk a minute before interview time.

OP...sounds like your biggest issue is that you are not properly answering the technical questions. You need to anticipate these techincal questions prior to the interview, based on the job skills required in the job ad, plus your resume skills. If you are missing these answers, learn from prior interviews and study the technical issues in-depth before EACH interview. These technical questions can be very complex and you can miss the answers even if you know the subject UNLESS you study/review prior to each interview.

I have over 10 pages of notes for technical Q/A. I review these prior to every interview. If you don't review, the answer might not roll off your tongue in the interview, which is necessary.

Last edited by sware2cod; 05-25-2013 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search