Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
Should one state in a cover letter that they will be relocating to the area? I've read and heard conflicting advice on doing so.
If they have a firm relocation date and better yet, an apartment or house waiting for them, by all means do so.

Otherwise the cover letter needs to be carefully worded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
try find a work that pay for relocation. My current job even paid for my break lease.
If you can't find one, then you can still leave at Oct.
If you can't find one you could also see about borrowing to get to your destination.

$250 a week FL UI ($13k annually) was considerably less than the $60k job offer I got... and even though it didn't pay relocation it was a paycheck that made it worth borrowing the $5k to move.

Or don't borrow it and continue drawing UI in a state with a craptastic job market while hoping for a miracle?

Not me.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I would try about 90-120 days before my relocation. The job search interview and approval process (at least in my experiences) has been averaging about 8-9 weeks from time of first contact (call from HR or hiring manager to schedule initial interview) to the starting date.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
Should one state in a cover letter that they will be relocating to the area? I've read and heard conflicting advice on doing so.
i mention it, but i am also in a position to just give notice at my job and move as soon as i accept an offer, and that's basically what i say. i also mention that i am moving to be closer to my family to show that this is not an impetuous move that i'll change my mind about a year from now.

if you know exactly when you will be moving, you can do it too. i'd put "(relocating to __________ in ________)" under the address line on your resume too. unless you have a local address you can put on your resume, i'd mention it, because otherwise they will assume you are just some idiot who applied for a non-local job (it happens, a lot). i had an hr person who was trying to help me find positions where she worked express concern that i didn't address my non-localness in my cover letters when i actually did at the end. she said hiring managers were asking about it. so i moved it to the beginning of my letter template.

i've never heard anyone advise that you not mention that you plan to relocate if you're applying out of the area where you live. why wouldn't you? all i know is that i do and i get tons of interviews, more than my friends who are looking locally even.

i can't help much with the OP's question (what's up fellow abandoner of pittsburgh!), but i'm just glad that i have a really flexible timeline and can both go up quickly if i get a job and move without a job lined up if i have to. if you get a job, the hiring timeline is unpredictable enough; factor in the fact that it may take a while to get an offer in the first place and it's pretty nerve-wracking.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:45 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
I had also thought about doing temp work when I get thereif all else fails until I do find something permanent

Old 04-19-2013, 06:01 AM

yeah, it's harder to find steady temp work than it used to be, and even harder to find temp work that turns into a real job (not that you are necessarily looking for that), but that's a good way to fill in the gaps. being able to start without notice is a plus to employers when you are very recently unemployed and became so for an acceptable reason like a move, too. and then you don't have to worry about flying across the country for interviews and whatnot. that's a pain for you and a pain for potential employers, too. not many places pay for travel expenses for applicants anymore unless you are looking at VERY high or specialized positions. for instance the hospital system where i work pays for unit director and up people to come in for interviews, but not RNs.

we are going to set ourselves a deadline (dependent on a few things that we still need to find out right now) for when we just move to my in-laws' basement for a bit. at that point i'll start temping at a university where i have some good connections in hr, and wait til something permanent comes along. that's kind of scary because of health insurance, but there's not really any way around that.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Thanks for your help guys! I have to wait until October because my lease is up here in September.
You can usually break a lease with two month's written notice, and the management company is given a great deal of discretion. You can say that you anticipate a downsizing and want to go to a safe harbor (move in with parents, for example). They don't need to know where your parents are. Why would they want somebody without the money for rent staying there?

You can say you have a family emergency and have to go back.

This is not Soviet Russia. They can't keep you there against your will - particularly if you have a hardship case and CAN'T PAY THE RENT (prospectively, at least). Personally, anything that keeps me somewhere against my will qualifies as a hardship case.

JMHO.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM

they can't keep you against your will, but they can certainly keep your deposit and demand (and sue you for) rent for the months remaining in your lease.

it's worth looking into whether they will let you break your lease, but you can't count on it.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
they can't keep you against your will, but they can certainly keep your deposit and demand (and sue you for) rent for the months remaining in your lease.

it's worth looking into whether they will let you break your lease, but you can't count on it.
That's why I don't want to leave until my lease is up. I don't want to go through any legal headaches.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Often if you find a new tenant the landlord will work with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search