Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I thought they didn't put salaries on credit histories.
Well they do if they can get them, but that's not what I'm referring to. Google "The Work Number"....

Or just read this article...

http://www.examiner.com/article/equi...ch-of-our-time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If they were great employees, they would have left to get something better. There is no such thing as 'excess talent'. Talent is relative, not absolute. If they treat someone like crap and that person puts up with it and doesn't prove they are worth something different, they aren't as good as they think they are.
In an ideal world where capitalism was 100% efficient and hiring was based on talent and qualifications and not HR nonsense, who knows what manager, nepotism, cronyism, age discrimination based on healthcare costs etc. One of my coworkers was a chemist with 30 years experience who led his own group. He got the axe in his 50's and the company that hired him knew full well they could exploit him because he'd be declared to old or overqualified for every other job.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:56 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Well they do if they can get them, but that's not what I'm referring to. Google "The Work Number"....

Or just read this article...

Equifax sells salary records: 'The biggest privacy breach of our time' - Providence Business Headlines | Examiner.com
Credit histories usually don't, but I actually edited my post after a quick google search led me to Eqifax employment verification.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I thought they didn't put salaries on credit histories. I looked at one of their websites, it does say they will provide income verification with one of their services. Isn't this something one would have to agree to release? It's certainly not a good idea to lie if info is this easy to come by. I guess privacy isn't really a factor these days.
They changed the name of them now ... it's not just called "credit history" ... see below.

Ir depends on whether or not you had applied for credit. When you apply for credit, they always ask where you work and ask how much you are making, right? Then the creditor you applied with reports all the information they get from you (employer, amount of salary) to the credit reporting agency they use as part of the vetting process to determine your creditworthiness. That is how your salary gets on your credit history. They store up everything they can find on people like squirrels store nuts. Also, the credit reporting agencies call these things 'consumer lifestyle profiles' or some other such nonsense to get around the fact that they are storing more than just your credit histories these days. When you apply for credit, you sign off on your privacy in these matters. Read the fine print next time.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If I have to spell out exactly how much I've contributed to the company and profits then management isn't doing their job. They are the ones who need to track expenses and profitability. If the only time they are able to do that is after the employee gets a better offer and quits and they see the loss they have failed as managers. It is the managers job to review employees and their value not the employees.
Are you serious? The average manager is up to his rear end in alligators and has about 2 nanoseconds to think, "Hmmm. What did Mschemist80 do over the past year?" Yeah, if the company has whoopity scoopity time systems that track what you did down to the second, it might work. But even then, you have to really provide context for what you did, when you did it, how you did it, and how big a difference it made.

It's really simple. Are you going to take what you think you deserve or are you going to sit back and take what they give you? Crossing your arms and saying, "Well if you don't know how much I contribute to this company day-in and day-out, I'm certainly not going to tell you now" strikes me as a bit too much.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Default I'm going to do this!

I'm going to request

Equifax Verification Services | Employees | Employment Data Report

what The Work Number has on me!

It's free!

How about you guys?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:58 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I'm going to request

It's free!

How about you guys?
Let me know if you can figure out how to do it online. I tried last week and no joy, even though it says you can, so I'm going to do it via snail mail. Unless you are successful...

Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I'm going to request

It's free!

How about you guys?
you have to have a username and PIN provided by your employer.

uh....

Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Considering how messed up many credit reports are, it's pretty scary to think you could be ruled out of a job for supposedly lying if the numbers don't match. These companies often f' up reports, and confuse people with others. Everyone should be able to check for accuracy.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:45 PM

283 posts, read 729,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If a company is paying you as little as possible, then you aren't very good at your job. I have seen people quit and the company go after them offering more money for them to come back.
Those 2 sentences contradict each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
At every annual review, you have an opportunity to say, "I've boosted revenue X%, which amounts to a $XXXXXXXX net for this company." Or you can say, "Due to my cost containment efforts, I've managed to save this company $100,000 this year alone. If you look at our net as a percentage of sales, that would be the equivalent of bringing $5,000,000 in sales to the company." If your facts are indeed accurate, then this will create awareness in the mind of management about how you are fiscally contributing to the success of the company.

I've worked as a consultant for 12 years now, and that's one reason I can ask for nice payments from the client. I had one client alone whom I found $70,000 in additional annual profit within the first FIFTEEN minutes of my engagement. Literally sat down in the first meeting, looked at their income statements, pulled out a calculator, and said, "Well, there's your problem." And you better believe that I brought that up six months later when it was time to review my contract.

And that's kind of the problem. People never walk into those reviews armed with this kind of data. They fumble around and say, "Well, I worked really hard this year, Mr. B...." making their point in purely anecdotal terms. Well, business is about numbers and dollars and cents, so small wonder those people get a cost of living raise. If, on the other hand, you remain constantly aware of positively affecting the net profitability of your employer and are armed with the facts to prove it, then you are speaking the language of the executive suite.
For most people, how could they possibly know how much their work increased the company's bottom line? I am a software developer, and my company doesn't tell me how much they sell the software for to other companies. Even if I knew how much they sold the software for, how could I possibly break that down into dollar amounts for my contributions vs. my co-workers contributions? What about a sysadmin, who doesn't even work on a product that gets sold? All he does it make sure the company's network is running smoothly - there's no way he could know how much he improves the company's bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search