Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times

Advertisements

You are probably fine though I am surprised the job application did not force you to disclose salary. I have no problem fibbing on salary history as I know companies will use it to lowball you. W-2's and paystubs can be easily faked with a scanner and any basic editing software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,744 times
Employers are not allowed to give out salary info. Potential employers are only allowed to ask if you worked there and the dates.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:14 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackolson View Post
I lied about my salary during the interview. It was never written on my resume and I only verbally told them what I made. I have started working. They are now doing a background check and they might ask my previous employers for my salary at the time. Am I screwed?

During the salary negotiation part, I also mentioned that I have several higher offers from other companies. I am wondering if I can used this to my benefit?

Wait a minute.....you have started working....and they are just now doing a background check???? That sounds backwards to me, but anyway......THIS is just another example of the simple edict that you should not lie about anything, ever, for any reason, to any body about anything. Tell the truth at all times and you will never live through one day of this uncertainty. It may not always be pretty, but at the end of the day you will never have anything to creep up on you and cause anxiety or worry. Plus, it is just the right thing to do. Hope you learn something from this - stop lying - you will feel better about yourself in the long run.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Employers are not allowed to give out salary info. Potential employers are only allowed to ask if you worked there and the dates.
this is incorrect. some companies have policies against giving assessments of performance or revealing salaries to outside parties. but there is no law against either. potential employers can ask whatever they want and current/former employers can reveal anything they want. of course it would be stupid to ask and answer questions about protected statuses (race, religion, etc), but they can actually do that too, if they're stupid. they just can't make hiring decisions based on those things.

but job performance, salary, attendance, personality, etc? totally fair game.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
You could definitely be fired for it. Next time, instead of lying prove to them that you are worth a higher salary. The only people who say that you have to lie to get a higher salary are the people who can't prove they are worth it.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
to the OP, well, hopefully your former employers aren't asked about your salary, they won't answer the question, or the background check is never compared to your interview answer. this is a risk you take when you lie. i understand why people do it, because it's really stupid and unfair for employers to base the pay they're offering on your previous pay. but if you choose to do it, you have to accept the potential consequences. and keep in mind, not every company does this. there are plenty that offer fair market rate for your labor without taking into consideration what you made before.

sure, you can say they misheard you in the interview but they have no obligation to believe you and it might make you look even shadier. but you don't have much to lose at that point so if you're found out i guess you can either go for that or brutal honesty and see what happens.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Please cite applicable state or federal law backing up your point. I will be patient while you spend a lot of time googling.

You will come up empty, as there is no such law.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:07 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,161 times
All they care about is whether or not you have any major criminal convictions/warrants and whether your education and work history are correct in terms of where and when you worked and what degrees you have. I seriously doubt they will check salary at this point. Do NOT open up a can of worms with your new employer. Keep your mouth shut.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Your salary is confidential information. The former employer opens themselves to a whole world of liability if they disclose this information. Unless they are complete knuckleheads, they won't do it.

You are fine. What did we learn?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
We all lie about what we were making when applying for a new job, that is how we get a raise. I don't think I have ever told the real salary in my life and it has never come back on me. Besides, past employers are afraid to say much any more for fear of legal problems........don't sweat it.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search