Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Exactly.

I hear you! I fear there might come a day when a percentage of the nouveau populace will hear a reminder on their devices to move their bowels based on the input of pre-programming pertinent data of their dietary intake, quantity and time of ingestion. Brains will no longer be necessary except for very basic functions. The average human only uses 1/3 of its brain capability/capacity anyway. When the whole technological system goes down - oops!

Since when was the purpose of an interview to "connect with the interviewer's personality"? The purpose of an interview is to present yourself in the best possible light to the interviewer based on your qualifications for the position.

The purpose of a interview is to sell your personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
So I think it was a good call, and good advice. Both were extremely tech savvy like me............and used a pad and pen LOL.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
The purpose of a interview is to sell your personality.
No, it's not.

Your particular "profession" deals with basically disenfranchised job seekers. Your prior experience was with felons returning to the workforce after incarceration, juvenile delinquents and now - in your new position - older people seeking to return to to the workforce.

Yes, this sub group has nothing to rely on to land a job BUT both personality and the ability to assure an interviewer that they either have the ability to do the job or are willing to do what it takes to learn.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:39 PM

421 posts, read 880,276 times
Ignoring the interview part, I've always found it easier to take notes on pen/paper.

No matter how fast you are with a mouse, you can always be more precise moving from one corner of the page to the other and back again with your hand versus being constricted to 40 lines per page.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I sell in the high tech space..........looking to get objective feedback on perception of interviewee using laptop for notes instead of traditional pad and paper.

Why you ask, because it's more efficient IMO. Just type notes in the cloud don't have to read my scribbles and then retype.

Your thoughts appreciated.
Absolutely not. Bring a portfolio with a pad of paper and a pen and jot down notes.

If an applicant came in with a laptop and set it up in front of me, their app would go in the NO WAY JOSE box.

Not only is it distracting, but it tells me that you have hightech'd yourself out of being personable. And I am in IT.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Who takes notes at an interview?
The better candidates usually do take notes. It can help them to formulate questions for the interviewers and can help them assess the place they are applying to (a potential employee is interviewing the company as much as the company is interviewing them)

To the OP - one more for old school pen and paper. At my interviews, I would usually take one of those portfolio type binders with me. The ones that have a note pad on one side and a pocket or two on the other (for both keeping anything they hand me, and also to keep a few extra copies of my CV in). I can see maybe a tablet being considered acceptable depending on the company, but if you have to fiddle with it due to technical difficulties during the interview, that could be disruptive - with a pen and paper you only have to worry about your pen running dry (bring two).

Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
I bring my notepad to refer to any notes I took before the interview about the company. I wouldn't take notes during the interview. It's unprofessional, rude and makes the interviewer think you're not paying attention.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
I am more suprised by those that don't take notes.................I don't have a perfect memory and when we are talking a lot of numbers, quotas, salaries, territories.........I can't recall all that for so many companies.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
I can't imagine the type of notes you'd need to take as an interviewee that would require a laptop, let alone pen and paper. How many things can there be to follow up on? One? Two?

I like to use the whiteboard, so I'd rather you sleep well and bring your thinking cap.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
Ignoring the interview part, I've always found it easier to take notes on pen/paper.

No matter how fast you are with a mouse, you can always be more precise moving from one corner of the page to the other and back again with your hand versus being constricted to 40 lines per page.
?? why would you be using your mouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search