Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM

70 posts, read 238,213 times

Advertisements

I interviewed three times for a large company, the last time being 3 weeks ago. It was very promising and I even met with the VP of the department. I followed up one week after the interview and the HR manager said she'd likely have an update the following week. Again, I followed up a week later. Heard nothing. It's been two weeks since I last heard from them.

At what point should I give up and stop reaching out to this company? I'm assuming I didn't get the job because if I did, they would have contacted me by now. But I feel like I deserve some kind of answer after the time I set aside at my current job to come in. Should I call instead of email?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I just assume i didn't get any job I interviewed with because if you get into that mentality of waiting for a response and getting your hopes up you will go insane. If you are expecting for common courtesy from a company you interviewed with (three times) I wouldn't since it is HR's job to deal with and they don't have any courtesy nor do they do their job well.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,379 times
You will probably not here from them if you haven't heard from them in two weeks. At least, that has been my experience. I would keep looking and if they happen to call back, great! You could always do another follow up call since it has been two weeks but after that follow up call I would not put any more effort into it.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:05 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I would say mentally move on, just keep in the back of your mind you have a small chance of hearing from them. I interviewed with a company 3 months back in another state and the HM calls me 2 days ago. So obviously I wasn't there first choice and I told him thanks but I am getting an offer this week and most likely another one next week.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 PM

70 posts, read 238,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I just assume i didn't get any job I interviewed with because if you get into that mentality of waiting for a response and getting your hopes up you will go insane. If you are expecting for common courtesy from a company you interviewed with (three times) I wouldn't since it is HR's job to deal with and they don't have any courtesy nor do they do their job well.
Yeah, I know I should just move on mentally but in this case it's incredibly hard to. I seem to have gotten far into the hiring process and was told things like "your qualifications look great!" and "they wouldn't have had you meet with me if they weren't serious about you" (the latter told to me by the VP of the department). It's incredibly frustrating and I don't know why companies think it's acceptable to treat candidates this way. I've been applying and interviewing at other places so hopefully I get an offer soon.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:32 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
it's super cruddy that employers treat applicants like this, but there's not really anything you can do about it.

i'd say after you've reached out once or twice, the ball's in their court. reaching out more is not going to accomplish anything. i agree with mschemist, it can be hard to do, but it's best to just assume you didn't get it and move on. then if you do get it, it will be a pleasant surprise.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elletee View Post
Yeah, I know I should just move on mentally but in this case it's incredibly hard to. I seem to have gotten far into the hiring process and was told things like "your qualifications look great!" and "they wouldn't have had you meet with me if they weren't serious about you" (the latter told to me by the VP of the department). It's incredibly frustrating and I don't know why companies think it's acceptable to treat candidates this way. I've been applying and interviewing at other places so hopefully I get an offer soon.
This is hard to hear and true. You need to realize you are a very small part of their day. I felt the way the same way as you when I was trying to sell a C level person and then it hit me. I am less than 5% of their day and their concerns. And frankly you and the rest of the candidates are in the same boat. You have to find a way to "fit in" to their dysfunctional day because everyone is working too hard with too little.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
It can take ages to hear about a job. Just move on, figure you didn't get it, but you might get a call in a few weeks.

It once took me 8 months to get a job from start to finish, that's applying, 2 interviews, etc. It was crazy but there ya go!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I had the same issue as beera, sometimes the budget may have been cut, or they are deciding if they can 'really' hire someone. I still would say you didn't get it, move on. But you never know! My current job my husband thought I was nuts, because I 'knew' this was it. They put me off for months, didn't return my calls. About 8 months later, the job was mine!!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
What is important to you is not even on their radar screen. They could be waiting for other candidates, funding, joe blow to come back from vacation, or simply not even talking about it--while you hang in the breeze.

Keep your options open. Keep current as much as you can with developments at the company and within the department so in case the phone does ring (and it could at any moment), you are current and fresh and can act like the last conversation happened twenty minutes ago instead of 20 days!

You can't try to 'reason' what could be going on without driving yourself nuts. Don't even try. Do the best you can when you interview, and during follow up conversations. Beyond that, the whole process is truly a crap shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search