Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 02:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
You absolutely must get the tuition policy in writing. Preferably also with a letter guaranteeing that the policy will be in place for a certain number of years. Also be aware that tuition assistance is subject to taxation.
Good luck with that. I think the chances of a company guaranteeing a policy like that will be in place for XX amount of years is slim and none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:30 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Good luck with that. I think the chances of a company guaranteeing a policy like that will be in place for XX amount of years is slim and none.
True, but it's even worse odds after you're already working for them. Before you accept an offer is the time to negotiate, even if it's a long shot.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatro View Post
So I am currently employed, but the position I am in has little to no growth potential. I would have to move out of state 600 miles a way which, I refuse to do.

At my current position I make 38500 a year salary, 4 weeks vacation, only have to work on average 30 hours a week but get paid for 40, company cell phone, and laptop.

I was just offered a position at another company for only 38000 a year, 2 weeks vacation, and would be an hourly employee working the typical 40 hours a week. However they do offer 100% paid college tuition if I ever decide to go back and there is a lot of job growth potential.

I enjoy the job I have now but I can't see myself being stuck in this position for the rest of my career. I also don't think I'll take the new job offer as it stands (less pay, less vacation, more hours worked). My question is how much do you think I should counter offer on the salary? Would 45000 be fair?
take the new job, even if you have to settle for 38000 per year, why? because be stuck in a dead end job SUCKS. i quite my first professional job after 2 years because it was a dead end job, and i took a 20k pay cut to do so. im much happier now, given more responsibility and make about the same after a couple years under my belt.

as far as negotiating, they offered 38000 starting, ask what the annual raise is and then do 1 and 1/2 times that. So if your raise is 4% ask for a 2280 increase (they will understand if you keep the 2280). Most will negotiate with you 1 or 2 times. They will most likely counter offer this with 39000 or something of that nature, so split your difference, anything is better than nothing though.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times
Quote:
Well I got a counter offer to my counter offer. They said they can get me 42000 + 1 extra week of vacation with the option to purchase 1 to 5 more days of vacation time. Along with that I'll get 9 days paid for select holidays. So I guess vacation wise I will at about what I am now.

More about the tuition benefit. I have to be there 1 year to be eligible for it. After the 1 year I will get up to 40k for an undergrad degree and up to 60k for a graduate degree. There is no limit on how much I can claim per year or per semester, just once I use up the 40k it will stop.
See, this is why I told you to counter at $50K if you want $45k because they always counter with a lower number, but honestly since you want $45k, and they offered $42k you should totally take it. This is a difference of $3k after taxes which is about $125/paycheck BEFORE taxes, so after taxes we are talking about $150/month which is really nothing. Especially the $40k in tuition is awesome. Congrats on the offer and good luck!

Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Will you even have time to go to school you may be working more hours? Never mind I guess you will find out. Good luck and congrats on the new job!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If you are definitely going be going back to school you can't ignore that benefit. It trumps pretty much everything else in my opinion given how expensive school is.

That being said you need to make sure you fully understand how the tuition reimbursement works. How many classes can you take at a time? Do you have to get a certain grade for reimbursement? Do you have to front the money? Does your degree have to be compatible with your role? What happens if the benefit is discontinued?

^^^^^^^^

Also, benefits can change like the wind. My DH took a job that offered tuition benefits for family---spouse, kids. Then, they withdrew that benefit. The tuition benefits weren't the reason he took the job, but it did make the job more attractive.

If I were you, I would counter with the same salary, but ask for 4 weeks vacation. You will never again be at the point you are now, where you can make such choices. You don't want to wake up one day and realize 10-20 years have gone by, and you are stuck in the same rut with no chance to crawl out. go for it!

Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Does that mean any employee can run up a $20k a year tuition bill to get a degree in Basketweaving and Textile Arts?

It could be true but I would look for the fine print.
This.

There are always strings attached with tuition coverage, and I would imagine a LOT if they cover 100%. There will be a period of time for which you will have to stay with the company following completion of said degree, or else an amount you'll have to reimburse them for if you quit (most likely, all of it). Make sure you know the full story. HR's job is to paint the rosiest picture, it's your job to do your homework and ask the right questions.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 PM

20 posts, read 394,044 times
Well guys, after much consideration I decided to turn down that job offer. I can't see myself being stuck in a cubical for 8+ hours a day and having to deal with the office politics. My plan now is to go back to school next semester to get a degree in nursing. I might go the LPN route first (which should only take 2 semesters to complete) that way I can get my foot in the door faster at my local hospital. With my current position I have a lot of flexibility with my work schedule, so I am going to try to do all of this while still working. What fun!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Well guys, after much consideration I decided to turn down that job offer. I can't see myself being stuck in a cubical for 8+ hours a day and having to deal with the office politics. My plan now is to go back to school next semester to get a degree in nursing. I might go the LPN route first (which should only take 2 semesters to complete) that way I can get my foot in the door faster at my local hospital. With my current position I have a lot of flexibility with my work schedule, so I am going to try to do all of this while still working. What fun!

Make sure you apply for financial aid. You might get state/federal/local grant money(free money). Also there is an IRS tax credit of $2500/year for each year (1-4) of undergraduate schooling. This is $10,000 if free college money from uncle sam. Not counting any grants which you might get also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search