Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:25 PM

358 posts, read 512,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
I guess you haven't been watching the news lately. I have watched CSpan through this whole EUC debacle. Republicans think people on EUC are "gaming the system". Sorry but that's offensive when you're out there pounding the pavement 7 days a week trying to find work...scouring the internet, going to networking groups, interviewing, researching companies, tailoring resumes....

I don't need to "Free my mind". My mind is free and is grounded in reality unlike the GOP and YOU.

It's seriously offensive to read people saying "you're just not trying hard enough".

And how the hell do you know how hard we are trying??
I'm not Republican, thanks.

I didn't say you weren't trying hard.

Politics are divisive. They poison discussions. Ideologues are tedious.

I don't watch television news at all anymore, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Really? You think a lot of people get jobs by "proving" themselves? BS. A lot of people get jobs simply because they knew someone, and HR legally has to interview a certain amount of people before they can hire the person. I have seen dunderheads end up in management and supervisory jobs and all I can think is "HOW did YOU get THIS job??" There is such an immense culture of incompetence in supervisory and management positions and the only logical explanation I can have for that is networking. It doesn't even have to happen in management either. A lot of boneheads get entry level jobs and coast through knowing that they have a couple of friends who will look out for them.
People with this attitude that come in to an interview, show their contempt and will not be hired. They are their own worst enemy.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 AM

458 posts, read 645,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, maybe not prostitution, but more like dating.
^
This

Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 AM

18 posts, read 18,270 times
It is always the same with all people.. the job interview are really feels bad... if u prepare urself too much.. but ain't got any results

Old 01-13-2014, 04:58 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,237 times
I can't speak for everyone, but the most laid back interview I had last year was also the highest position I applied for and also the one I'm working now. The interviewer turned out to be my current RE and he knew exactly how to make me feel relaxed enough during the interview. Heck, the interview took place at a Starbucks. At the interview I learned about his pets and personal projects.

People don't work well or interview well in stressful situations.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:15 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but the most laid back interview I had last year was also the highest position I applied for and also the one I'm working now. The interviewer turned out to be my current RE and he knew exactly how to make me feel relaxed enough during the interview. Heck, the interview took place at a Starbucks. At the interview I learned about his pets and personal projects.

People don't work well or interview well in stressful situations.
That's exactly the type of situation many employers go for. I'm sure they're thinking "Hmm what is this person like under pressure? Let's see!" In my round of interviews last year, I was subjected to various tests, questionnaires, and a group interview for an entry level job. The employer was the one who posted they wanted someone with no experience - 1 year of experience. Yet, I was questioned on how to do things a seasoned person would know and the only reason why I knew most of what was asked is because I did research. When I showed the ability to think critically and utilize my academic skills for a real workplace situation, it was dismissed. The same thing happened when I was able to relate my previous experience to the current position. What was worse is when I was honest about what I didn't know, yet emphasized that I am learning and will learn, a couple of the interviewers would stand outside the door of the interview room after they were done and talk about me as if I didn't exist and how exasperated they were with my lack of expertise. Excuse me?

Now that I can look back, I don't think it's a company I'd want to work for anyway. If that's how they treat their employees and expect them to behave, count me out. It's probably better to get an "in" using networking anyway.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
That's exactly the type of situation many employers go for. I'm sure they're thinking "Hmm what is this person like under pressure? Let's see!" In my round of interviews last year, I was subjected to various tests, questionnaires, and a group interview for an entry level job. The employer was the one who posted they wanted someone with no experience - 1 year of experience. Yet, I was questioned on how to do things a seasoned person would know and the only reason why I knew most of what was asked is because I did research. When I showed the ability to think critically and utilize my academic skills for a real workplace situation, it was dismissed. The same thing happened when I was able to relate my previous experience to the current position. What was worse is when I was honest about what I didn't know, yet emphasized that I am learning and will learn, a couple of the interviewers would stand outside the door of the interview room after they were done and talk about me as if I didn't exist and how exasperated they were with my lack of expertise. Excuse me?

Now that I can look back, I don't think it's a company I'd want to work for anyway. If that's how they treat their employees and expect them to behave, count me out. It's probably better to get an "in" using networking anyway.
I've experienced all of what you mentioned. Ironically, the job I landed was also the highest position I applied for and the interviews were the most relaxing and personal interview I ever had. I kid you not, I walked away from the interview knowing about his dogs, girlfriend, kids, and where they went for vacation last year. I've since learned that this interviewer has been with the company for 25 years. This is a big firm, but everybody knows everybody. And he bought the whole office pizza yesterday.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Been there. Burn out. Take a job now, that is below you, just to pay the bills, and have a job.

Then, you can relax, and get back into applying again.

Yes, you are a "prostitute", selling yourself, and services for cash. No one wants a negative, burned out person

Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Tangirl,

If it's any consolation to you, just know you're not alone. I'm in the same boat and have been for 2.5 years! And, like you, I have a master's. It's very difficult, I know, but do try to remain optimistic. A better job will present itself soon. It will happen, it will happen, it will happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Get off your high horses. He "was just venting" tough guy. He probably expects to get a job offer after being educated, experienced, preparing for interviews and sending out 100's of resumes. How is that hard to understand???
Thank you jman07!

Something tells me that those judging Tangirl for expressing a little frustration have not had to look for a job in this economy. Perhaps not in decades. Recently, a co-worker where I'm currently temping gave me some "advice" for my job hunt. She's been in the same job - her first and only - for 40 years. Uh, yeah, okaaaaaaay....

Old 01-15-2014, 04:16 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
I guess we're not allowed to express frustration. We apparently have poor attitudes and need to be self-employed. That will magically solve all of our problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search