Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 03:17 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times

Advertisements

Hopefully you find another job soon and you can joke back and say "wow, that $9/hr was so amazing I'm now able to retire! PEACE!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Case in point, A $9 an hour job is still much better than no job, because at least you are STILL considered being in the work force and can add that work experience to your resume.
IF you had not had the $9 job, then you would have a GAP in your work experience, and employers see this as a red flag in many industries and they often don't count being laid off/collecting UC as filling that gap. Some employers will also see the fact that you worked at a lesser wage as a sign that you are not a greedy but productive employee.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
It really could have been just a joke - I've met people who'd say something like that thinking that the other person 'gets' it. I'm not saying it was a good idea, and if he wrote that in an email, then that's really showing a lack of social intelligence. If he said it face to face and this guy is just the sort of guy that pops off wisecracks, then take it for what it is. Not sure I'd classify that as professionalism, though.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Maybe he was being sarcastic, like, 'I know it's ridiculous that I'm offering you the pitiful and unlivable amount of $9 per hour but I have no say in the matter...haha...now you can not be evicted.' He could have just as easily said something like 'now you can go on some fabulous vacations' or 'now you can buy that Ferrari you've always wanted.' Which actually would have been funny in a 'yea this sucks but what can you do' kind of way.

I think he may have been trying to do this but failed miserably with his choice of situation.

Or maybe he truly is a tool of gargantuan proportions.

Either way, I'd run, not walk, from working for this guy. You can find another 9 an hour offer.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,711 times
When someone shows you the type of person they are, believe them the first time.

Don't work for a person who is a jerk during the interview, because they will be a jerk of a boss too!

Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Tell him "And you can have fun dealing with a $9 employee doing your $30 job. Im sure it will work out well for you."

Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i have been offered $7 an hour and glad to get it.
i moved on to much greater things.
but at the time they did have me in a corner.
fatal to any job seeking i have done has been anger and offense.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:36 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
People are saying turn down the job and have no idea what the OP is dealing with. She or he said they had to swallow their pride and take the job. I agree it was over the line but you have to do what you have to do.

The hardest part will be looking at that first check.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
This individual offered me a job that pays $9 and said "If you're about be evicted from your home, now you can tell your landlord you found a job". I'm used to making $30+ an hour, but I had to push my pride aside for a bit. I took offense because they know nothing about me or my financial situation.

It really is an employer's market and they know it. They talk to applicants anyway they please.
I would have looked at him and told him I own my property free and clear, which is true. Chances are he makes $9 per hour himself, and was about to be evicted when he got his job. It's his only frame of reference.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Being unemployed for awhile sucks. At a certain point many people take whatever it is they can get, I assume this hiring manager has had their way with everyone they have hired. I had job offers from 11.50/hr to 15.00/hr. The only thing I could do is laugh and say no thank you. I had one recruiter try to tell me one time they would not pay me to move to Cali and that I had to pay my own way. After I said that was a joke he tried to insult me (education, experience, etc.). I simply hung up, called back to the office and had a nice professional chat with his boss. A few days later I called back, he was no longer working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search