Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
You do not get it. Hopefully you will live long enough to spend your millions. Stress kills.
Seriously?
Doing something to make money matters EASIER is "stressful" and will kill me?
On the contrary following Jack Bogle principles has made my life LESS STRESSFUL.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM

769 posts, read 976,771 times
Take the job. A JOB is better than NO job right now. I am sure it pays more than your unemployment does.

Once you have a job it is easier to find something. Also I took a pay cut with this job. I not only got the pay back but add another 10k to it. Been there 6 months. I worked my butt off and kept the good happy attitude.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
What you call a low ball offer, is within the top 75%of CT Technologists according to BLS report.

Radiologic Technologists

The Average Pay for Beginning CT Technologists | Chron.com

Old 03-05-2014, 03:37 PM

51 posts, read 83,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What you call a low ball offer, is within the top 75%of CT Technologists according to BLS report.

Radiologic Technologists

The Average Pay for Beginning CT Technologists | Chron.com
I find it funny that people here are trying in some way to prove that my offer is not being low balled. I appreciate the effort, but let me break it down.

BLS.gov stats also say there is 23% growth in Medical Imaging when the field is completely stagnant. So . . . they're wrong. That aside, the first link from the BLS shows the national average. Why would you refer to a national average when I live in an expensive area? Boston MA. The wages here, are not what they are in New Mexico or Montana.

Also the first link you posted is for Radiologic Technologists in general, which is part of being a CT Tech (Cat Scan) but a CT Tech position is indeed a higher paid position as it requires additional certification and training. So for those three reasons combined, the first link . . . essentially doesn't matter.

Onto the second link, this I find hilarious and here is why. First of all, the article is for "beginning CT technologists". I am not a beginning tech. I have 12 years experience, 5 years of that in advanced 3d imaging. So that alone, does not include me in this article.

But the BIGGEST part of this article . . . is this quote "Massachusetts led the nation with an average annual salary of $80,630 a year"

Yup . . . you just basically proved me right by trying to prove me wrong. 80630 a year is 38.76 an hour.

Thank you for the links which help me state my case better.

This is a low ball offer.

That said I was just called today for 2 other interviews. Wish me luck.

peace out

Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM

311 posts, read 450,794 times
If you have no other options, then you should suck it up and take it. You can keep looking around during the job, it might be easier since employers nowadays discriminate against the unemployed.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:18 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Take the job.....plenty of people that are working for less than they once made...What do you think a TV repairman makes today vs. 1970? Travel agent?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:20 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsquallhart View Post
I find it funny that people here are trying in some way to prove that my offer is not being low balled. I appreciate the effort, but let me break it down.

BLS.gov stats also say there is 23% growth in Medical Imaging when the field is completely stagnant. So . . . they're wrong. That aside, the first link from the BLS shows the national average. Why would you refer to a national average when I live in an expensive area? Boston MA. The wages here, are not what they are in New Mexico or Montana.

Also the first link you posted is for Radiologic Technologists in general, which is part of being a CT Tech (Cat Scan) but a CT Tech position is indeed a higher paid position as it requires additional certification and training. So for those three reasons combined, the first link . . . essentially doesn't matter.

Onto the second link, this I find hilarious and here is why. First of all, the article is for "beginning CT technologists". I am not a beginning tech. I have 12 years experience, 5 years of that in advanced 3d imaging. So that alone, does not include me in this article.

But the BIGGEST part of this article . . . is this quote "Massachusetts led the nation with an average annual salary of $80,630 a year"

Yup . . . you just basically proved me right by trying to prove me wrong. 80630 a year is 38.76 an hour.

Thank you for the links which help me state my case better.

This is a low ball offer.

That said I was just called today for 2 other interviews. Wish me luck.

peace out
the math is not on your side.....75 applications, ONE offer. They are offering what they can pay. You also note $38 an hour (your haggling over $240 a week/960 a month) from your couch ($0 per hour)

BLS.gov can write whatever they want......but keep in mind they aren't the one writing paychecks!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Lsquallhart, I also am in the health care field and understand 100%. Our industry is a bit different, so others don't understand. Six years ago, there were jobs that offered sign on bonuses, shift differentials (weekend and night) and other great benefits. Those days are over....for now.

Sit tight, DO NOT train anyone without being fairly compensated and wait this down turn out. I was going to ask you if you were willing to take a travel position....but you seem fine. That would have been a nice option if you don't have any responsibilities like a family. Congratulations on the position.

Strange that they got away with not offering health care - but I have seen medical professionals get shorted more and more over the last few years. Funny, you work for a hospital, but aren't offered that benefit. People that have responded don't realize how important that fact is! Hospitals are still making profits!

Oh, and good luck!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
the math is not on your side.....75 applications, ONE offer. They are offering what they can pay. You also note $38 an hour (your haggling over $240 a week/960 a month) from your couch ($0 per hour)

BLS.gov can write whatever they want......but keep in mind they aren't the one writing paychecks!
I only quoted BLS stats because someone was trying to use the information to prove I was not being lowballed. Yes I understand that I'm not making anything, that is why I have accepted the job offer. This thread was more about dissapointment and what is truly a low offer.

They are not offering what they can pay. They are offering what they can get away with.

I have been haggling with the fact that my advanced skills and willingness to educate is going to save them money which they should invest in. 960 a month is a lot of money. So why not try to get it?

I think people aren't reading things here fully and just on a mission to prove wrong or nit pick. It truly is interesting. There's a lot of accusations of things I am or am not doing that just aren't true.

However anyway yes you are correct, I should and have taken the job offer. THANK YOU!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Lsquallhart, I also am in the health care field and understand 100%. Our industry is a bit different, so others don't understand. Six years ago, there were jobs that offered sign on bonuses, shift differentials (weekend and night) and other great benefits. Those days are over....for now.

Sit tight, DO NOT train anyone without being fairly compensated and wait this down turn out. I was going to ask you if you were willing to take a travel position....but you seem fine. That would have been a nice option if you don't have any responsibilities like a family. Congratulations on the position.

Strange that they got away with not offering health care - but I have seen medical professionals get shorted more and more over the last few years. Funny, you work for a hospital, but aren't offered that benefit. People that have responded don't realize how important that fact is! Hospitals are still making profits!

Oh, and good luck!!!
Thank you! Finally someone who is in the field and gets it. You have experienced the SAME exact thing. Those days are over for sure. Everyone thinks healthcare is loaded and offers great benefits and wages with tons of jobs. It just isn't true anymore.

I agree with you. I will not be training anyone unless they are going to cough it up and recognize it's something to invest in. I will not be rude about it, just explain it to them respectfully and with confidence. It is not part of my current job description, but they already stated they no longer need that service, because they are unwilling to pay for it. So be it.

As I've said, I have two interviews lined up so this job is now just bargaining power for me. Definitely glad you can understand. Also thank you for thinking of the travel position. Right now I think it's best to stay put. I also saw a lot of travelling techs are having issues. I started to apply for travel right when everything was shrinking about 6 years ago.

Best wishes to you and thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search