Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It took you 3 hours to think of that one, eh?

You're slipping...

Oh, I'm not like you, 313. I don't live here every waking moment I'm not at work. I have a life. Sad someone your age doesn't.

pats 313 on the head:::::::

Now run along and play with the other little children - the adults want to talk.

I know you need to have the last word, so post your reply. You need it - take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Oh, I'm not like you, 313. I don't live here every waking moment I'm not at work. I have a life. Sad someone your age doesn't.

::::::ats 313 on the head:::::::

Now run along and play with the other little children - the adults want to talk.

I know you need to have the last word, so post your reply. You need it - take it.
Oh...

Old 07-13-2014, 06:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
I've received a number of short, honest rejection emails and I actually appreciated them. In essence, they said, "You're not good enough," in 1 or 2 sentences. Contrast that to this email I got after a lengthy and cordial phone interview for position X with company Y:

For some reason, I find those types of emails to be rather soul-crushing, because I know it's a generic rejection email that is meant to sound individualized.

Anyone else feel the same way?
[b]
YES!!!
They make me seem like I am not even close to what they're looking for. Then, when I witness who they actually hire for the position, I am even more crushed because I KNOW that I could do a better job than them.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
He did a childish thing because he didn't get hired and the end result was that he's been charged with a crime, has two years of probation and nobody will hire him when they find out what a moron he is.

I'm not sure how sweet revenge is when you ruin your prospects in the process.

This is beyond childish. This guy seems a little unstable and no one will touch him after what he did. He only hurt himself in the process.

Boo hoo they won't hire me so I will send them poop? Get real. Everyone gets rejected at some point but most normal people can handle it.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
This is beyond childish. This guy seems a little unstable and no one will touch him after what he did. He only hurt himself in the process.

Boo hoo they won't hire me so I will send them poop? Get real. Everyone gets rejected at some point but most normal people can handle it.

Once would have been bad enough, but he sent it to twenty companies that didn't hire him. Thankfully, he started counseling after all of this. He obviously needs it.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:26 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Back in the days before working regulations employers were honest about why they can employees (you're a gossip) or (you made your supervisor angry by making this request). Now they often don't give the right reasons, "layoff", and/or reassign you to a nowhere position or position you will hate and be made to quit from. They don't want to be sued if/when the real reasons come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
But apparently they're stupid enough to choose someone over someone else by discriminating.

I don't even get rejection letters period because everything is applied online but I find it stupid that the only rejection letters you get are ones like the OP's. I hate dishonesty. I understand if they don't have a relationship with you they're not going to but still. I'm a perfectionist/have OCD tendencies so I NEED to know why. It'd be different if it's just one person not telling you why but everybody not telling you why is messed up. They're setting you up for being rejected forever so it's pretty clear society wants you to fail. It's the worst feeling in the world when you just know you've done something wrong but nobody will tell you what it is. Bigots and favoritism aren't cool anyway but if the real reason was that something like this would be a perfect response "We chose _____ but we admit we shouldn't have favored them because that's wrong. However, sometimes we have to favor them because we have so many applicants." Also even though discrimination is wrong, it's far better for me to know that that was the real reason because then at least I'll know I did nothing wrong otherwise I will continue bashing myself since I do not know for sure.

I guess the people that are okay with rejection letters like that don't care about improving themselves though. Maybe they're less flawed than I. It must be nice. Btw I'm not being sarcastic with this last bit in case it wasn't obvious.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:30 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Quote:
Given the number of people who say 'anyways', I don't doubt that a lot of teachers let its usage go. Unfortunately, the quality of teachers has gone down dramatically from what it was forty years ago. I'm not indicting all teachers, but in general, the field no longer attracts the best of the best.
Teaching will only attract better people if they pay higher salaries. Simple as that.

Did you tell the candidate that the use of "anyways" prevented her from getting the job? If so, was she surprised? If not, how do you expect her to not make this error in the future?

A few other things:

A university would not admit someone who doesn't know "basic grammar" (can't get a high enough score on the SAT or ACT) but what in my opinion would prove this as basic grammar or underscore its importance in written form. would be a sample question on the ACT or SAT that asks for this difference and is considered to be an "easy" question... if that's so... I'll eat my hat

Another thing would be a high school textbook or curricula which makes it clear, and makes it clear "anyways" is not a minor mistake but a major one.

Quote:
Adding the 's' is a natural tendency children have when they're still learning to speak properly. If you're still adding the 's' as an adult, you're going to sound like a child, and sounding like a child means you won't be taken seriously by our clients.
Are there any audio samples or other examples that can better illustrate this? What if the person uses "anyways" as a transition word, such as "So, anyways, today we are going to discuss..." - Does that person sound like a child? If the person who makes this mistake is turned away, will you easily get a better candidate?

It's true that companies need to look for the best talent and they should have high standards, but society suffers if too many educated young people with reasonable qualifications are unable to get work. Society's needs should also be considered.

Quote:
You state there is a stressed importance on anyway vs anyways, but the stressed importance is on correct grammar. You are the one fixated on the example of anyway vs. anyways.

I'm not surprised the grammar instruction is not given at the university level. They assume you know proper English by the time you get there. If you say 'ain't' in college, it's highly unlikely anyone will correct you, but that doesn't mean it's proper English. Unless you're referring to an English class or public speaking or speech class, basic grammar is not going to be addressed at the university level.

I've never stated people who say 'anyways' won't get a job. I've said they will not be hired in my department. Nobody on my team is involved with public speaking, but they are heavily involved in client contact. They are college graduates, but not English majors. Some have a masters degree. We have high standards. I cannot have someone on the phone with a client, or giving a client presentation, who doesn't speak like an adult. Adding the 's' is a natural tendency children have when they're still learning to speak properly. If you're still adding the 's' as an adult, you're going to sound like a child, and sounding like a child means you won't be taken seriously by our clients.

I'm in a highly competitive field trying to keep very important people happy. I'm a published author. Occasionally, I have speaking engagements. This isn't just a hang up, it's critical to everything I do.

Given the number of people who say 'anyways', I don't doubt that a lot of teachers let its usage go. Unfortunately, the quality of teachers has gone down dramatically from what it was forty years ago. I'm not indicting all teachers, but in general, the field no longer attracts the best of the best.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Once would have been bad enough, but he sent it to twenty companies that didn't hire him. Thankfully, he started counseling after all of this. He obviously needs it.

I wonder if he will ever be hired anywhere after this?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM

hopefulone, in the article I read it said he found a job shortly before sentencing. I hope his new opportunity and counseling get his brain and emotions back on track.

Vicman, we will never have the quality of teachers we had forty years ago. That's the sad reality.

We only tell people why they weren't hired if they follow up with us and ask. I know there are posters who feel that should automatically be done, but some candidates don't really want to hear it and we're not going to offer information they may not want. You should also know there is a certain level of abuse being directed toward HR and hiring managers by people frustrated with the economy and taking it out on others. I've received obnoxious phone calls that were then escalated to the CEO because I didn't hire someone. A lot of people are unstable. Not knowing who those people are, we tend to just move on.

A person can do well testing and still say anyways or axe or prolly, so they'll still get into college. Testing doesn't get that basic.

No matter how it's used, 'anyways' means not getting a job on my team. Used as a transition they not only sound like a child, but an uneducated adult in need of a speech class. We will always find a better candidate. There are a lot of people with the same qualifications and education who speak clearly without any grammar issues or verbal tics. That's what we need.

Society won't suffer because we have high standards. I'm sure she went on to another company where she either had no contact with the client or they don't work with high-profile clients. She'll do just fine. She just won't do it with us.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,896,464 times
Personally I would prefer them tell me why I didn't get it. Many times I am convinced the interview went well only to get home and have a rejection email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search