Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Back in the days before working regulations employers were honest about why they can employees (you're a gossip) or (you made your supervisor angry by making this request). Now they often don't give the right reasons, "layoff", and/or reassign you to a nowhere position or position you will hate and be made to quit from. They don't want to be sued if/when the real reasons come out.
I guess that makes sense but it's still sad. I don't understand why people have to sue for telling the truth. Why would so many people rather be lied to? They must be the same people that would rather have a boyfriend/girlfriend pretend they still had feelings even after the relationship clearly needed to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,076,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Vicman, we will never have the quality of teachers we had forty years ago. That's the sad reality.
I recall Mark Twain complained about school boards. The more things change... The more they stay the same...

The US puts more importance on fat businessmen and entertainers than on teachers and communities don't want to pay teachers big bucks. So the best people don't gravitate to teaching and don't stay in teaching. In Asia teachers make more money and are given more respect.

So teachers need to make an ultimatum: We won't accept your complaints about poor education until you give us good working environments, ability to make decisions, and respect for our job

Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I recall Mark Twain complained about school boards. The more things change... The more they stay the same...

The US puts more importance on fat businessmen and entertainers than on teachers and communities don't want to pay teachers big bucks. So the best people don't gravitate to teaching and don't stay in teaching. In Asia teachers make more money and are given more respect.

So teachers need to make an ultimatum: We won't accept your complaints about poor education until you give us good working environments, ability to make decisions, and respect for our job

That's only part of it. The reality is, back in the day, women had limited choices if they wanted to work. They could work at a factory or waitress, or become a secretary, a nurse or a teacher. The most BRILLIANT of women chose teaching or became nurses. I'm not putting down those who chose other options by any means, but women who went into nursing and teaching often did so as a long-term career.

Those same women today are chemists, judges, surgeons, astronauts, entrepreneurs running their own businesses, CEO's for Fortune 500 companies. We will never lure that excellent pool of brilliant talent back into teaching.

And before people get testy with me, yes, there are exceptions and plenty of brilliant teachers out there, but in looking at the whole population of teachers, it's clear the quality has dropped significantly since women have forged a path in other fields.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:29 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
And before people get testy with me, yes, there are exceptions and plenty of brilliant teachers out there, but in looking at the whole population of teachers, it's clear the quality has dropped significantly since women have forged a path in other fields.
That's a fair statement, but I hope you're not attributing the correlation as the causation (in that men entering the field and fewer women going in the field is the cause for the decline in quality)...

Interestingly enough, the decline in the quality of teachers seems to strongly correlate with the decline in the quality of students as well. Between the decline in social standards and the breakdown of the family unit, kids today are a lot more rowdy than they were in the past.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's a fair statement, but I hope you're not attributing the correlation as the causation (in that men entering the field and fewer women going in the field is the cause for the decline in quality)...

Not at all. As the very brightest sought other options in the way of careers, the pool of candidates interested in teaching changed. It was no longer a field filled with the brightest, but filled by those whose options were limited.

Interestingly enough, the decline in the quality of teachers seems to strongly correlate with the decline in the quality of students as well. Between the decline in social standards and the breakdown of the family unit, kids today are a lot more rowdy than they were in the past.

Correct, and the first point you make is one I was trying to make to Vicman when asked why teachers were not correcting grammar. Some of the posters in another forum on c-d saying they are, or were, teachers, lack grammar skills and either cannot spell or are not interested in reviewing their posts before submitting them. Some of them have long rambling posts that don't flow and make little sense, although they pull out big words so you can tell they are trying to impress.

Breakdown of the family unit is a huge problem. In some cultures there isn't a family unit at all, it seems, with pregnancies involving different fathers who are never present. And a decline in social standards is a problem I blame on my generation, but that is a favorite diatribe of mine I won't bore anyone with.

My response is in bold letters above.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
If you have ever been involved in interviewing people for employment, you know one person will stand out, and be the best choice. You hire them.

If you notify the others they are not hired, you do not have the time and staff to write each one and tell them exactly why they are not chosen.

The truth is, there is only one real reason you did not get the job. Reason: Someone else, had more qualifications, had a past history of jobs that better fit in with the one you are hiring for, did a better job convincing you that they were the one to hire. The one that fit the best, gets the job, and the others do not. With a different company, you may be the ideal candidate and you get the job. Or you are beat out of the job for a completely different reason, than with the first company.

There really is no way that a HR person has the time to sit down and write you a personal rejection, stating why the other person got the job. In fact they may not know why. The truth again is, the person that got the job, was more qualified or did a better job in the interview of convincing the HM that they were the best. You may have been the #2 choice, or you may have been 25th on the list. It just depends on who also applies for the job.

Just remember, it all comes down to the fact, that someone else impressed the HM more than you did, and had experience that made them more qualified for the job than you are. And every time you are interviewed, the reason comes down to that fact, and the reason they were chosen may be completely different than when you did not get a job with another company. It just depends on who your competition for the job is, how much experience or training they have, and how well they sell themselves to the HM.

Yes an interview, is an opportunity to sell yourself to the HM. If you don't sell yourself, and just sitting there on pins and needles hardly able to answer questions, you are not going to get the job.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:27 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

There really is no way that a HR person has the time to sit down and write you a personal rejection, stating why the other person got the job.

That is a fair point.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If you have ever been involved in interviewing people for employment, you know one person will stand out, and be the best choice. You hire them.

If you notify the others they are not hired, you do not have the time and staff to write each one and tell them exactly why they are not chosen.

The truth is, there is only one real reason you did not get the job. Reason: Someone else, had more qualifications, had a past history of jobs that better fit in with the one you are hiring for, did a better job convincing you that they were the one to hire. The one that fit the best, gets the job, and the others do not. With a different company, you may be the ideal candidate and you get the job. Or you are beat out of the job for a completely different reason, than with the first company.

There really is no way that a HR person has the time to sit down and write you a personal rejection, stating why the other person got the job. In fact they may not know why. The truth again is, the person that got the job, was more qualified or did a better job in the interview of convincing the HM that they were the best. You may have been the #2 choice, or you may have been 25th on the list. It just depends on who also applies for the job.

Just remember, it all comes down to the fact, that someone else impressed the HM more than you did, and had experience that made them more qualified for the job than you are. And every time you are interviewed, the reason comes down to that fact, and the reason they were chosen may be completely different than when you did not get a job with another company. It just depends on who your competition for the job is, how much experience or training they have, and how well they sell themselves to the HM.

Yes an interview, is an opportunity to sell yourself to the HM. If you don't sell yourself, and just sitting there on pins and needles hardly able to answer questions, you are not going to get the job.
It's just ridiculous how many tried and never even gotten an interview. Sure sure you can say they had more qualifications but every single time somebody else had more qualifications. I can't even get an internship. An internship should be easy to get especially if you've had some college no matter what college you got into. They said they weren't picky but I spent forever going over my resume and writing the best personal note I can possibly make. I even emailed them about it a few days later. What did I do wrong? I'm the perfect person for that internship.
Plus if somebody else had more qualifications every time, great so basically I'm not good enough for anyone. I know I can do the job but no one wants to give me a chance. It can be the best suited job/career for me ever and I still won't get it especially not in this economy because I have the worst luck ever. If there's a lot of competition I should just forget it right then.
There must be something really wrong with me. I just wish people could tell me what that is and don't say it's my attitude because I've tried being positive in the past. When I get my hopes up they're shot to pieces.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
It's just ridiculous how many tried and never even gotten an interview. Sure sure you can say they had more qualifications but every single time somebody else had more qualifications. I can't even get an internship. An internship should be easy to get especially if you've had some college no matter what college you got into. They said they weren't picky but I spent forever going over my resume and writing the best personal note I can possibly make. I even emailed them about it a few days later. What did I do wrong? I'm the perfect person for that internship.
Plus if somebody else had more qualifications every time, great so basically I'm not good enough for anyone. I know I can do the job but no one wants to give me a chance. It can be the best suited job/career for me ever and I still won't get it especially not in this economy because I have the worst luck ever. If there's a lot of competition I should just forget it right then.
There must be something really wrong with me. I just wish people could tell me what that is and don't say it's my attitude because I've tried being positive in the past. When I get my hopes up they're shot to pieces.

You didn't do anything wrong. You did all the right things, as did probably a hundred other people who were perfect for the internship.

Competition is very stiff out there for all of us - so nothing is easy to get.

It's not that nobody wants to give you a chance, they just want to bring on board the best candidate. That's all. You may not be the best candidate for their company, but that doesn't mean you won't be the best candidate for some other company. You just have to keep plugging away.

People are either fierce about attaining their goals or fragile. Only the fierce will survive.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
You didn't do anything wrong. You did all the right things, as did probably a hundred other people who were perfect for the internship.

Competition is very stiff out there for all of us - so nothing is easy to get.

It's not that nobody wants to give you a chance, they just want to bring on board the best candidate. That's all. You may not be the best candidate for their company, but that doesn't mean you won't be the best candidate for some other company. You just have to keep plugging away.

People are either fierce about attaining their goals or fragile. Only the fierce will survive.
I just can't believe that. My perfectionist self says I'm doing something not quite right. I need someone to prove it to me, otherwise I'll be stuck on the fact I didn't try hard enough when I first got out of high school. If I can at least get an interview I'd feel so much better.

I never won anything in my life that involved a lot of competition (even when I cheated with that Danimals thing). The only reason I won holiday bingo last year was because hardly anybody showed up. I know there are other people that are unemployed but they never stay that way for long. I've been waiting for a job since I got out of high school.

Where is this company that is for me and why haven't I found them? The internet is so big. I must be looking at the wrong places. I just don't understand why someone like me who's worked with computers since kindergarten can't find a back door on this big ol internet? I mean I don't even see that many temp jobs. It's either construction (which I can't do at all because my arms are toothpicks) or again janitorial.

I know people have been trying hard too but I feel like I'm literally slowly dying while trying to get a job. Yesterday I couldn't even hardly eat. I mean I got OCD tendencies so I have looked many nights on Google for a back door. I keep looking at my email inbox too for offers from the people I emailed or my mentor. It's like watching a pot boil and I can't stop. I've never been so stuck on anything in my life not even that time where I got my heart broken by some dude. I try to distract myself by going back to my surveys but lately I haven't been able to. Heck even when I'm doing something else I'm most likely still thinking about it.

The worst part is I'm so tired of this that I want to quit so bad and just wait for an opportunity but I'm too stubborn to. It's either all or nothing with me. I either bend over backwards to try or I don't try at all for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search