Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow I have an interview after work for the recruiter job. Well, it's just a talk about recruiting... so I'm assuming talk is an interview. I've never recruited and I'm not sure what to expect for this interview. I'm sure it's standard questions, but I am really new to recruiting. He knows this and still invited me in, so maybe I shouldn't be too nervous.

I guess I'll just go about it like a normal interview: talk about my background, experiences, ask questions, and I want to learn this business. It just makes me nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 05:28 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Exclamation Recruiter Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Tomorrow I have an interview after work for the recruiter job. Well, it's just a talk about recruiting... so I'm assuming talk is an interview. I've never recruited and I'm not sure what to expect for this interview. I'm sure it's standard questions, but I am really new to recruiting. He knows this and still invited me in, so maybe I shouldn't be too nervous.

I guess I'll just go about it like a normal interview: talk about my background, experiences, ask questions, and I want to learn this business. It just makes me nervous.
Jess,

Normally I would have a lot of questions so I could tell if you are suited to this kind of work.

I'll just say two or three things, instead:

1. Depending on how you are getting paid (High base/Low base/Commissions?) this kind of job is usually sink or swim. If you fail to make quota (enough sales) you will be shown the door. It is common to be given sixty to ninety days to show you have the aptitude for this kind of work;

2. You must be always thinking in terms of making sales;

3. You need to ask if they have a formal training program. If they say 'yes' and really do, then you are more assured of success, assuming you have the aptitude to do this kind of work. If they say 'yes' but don't or say they don't, you need to ditch this and apply at one of the nationally branded employment agencies, instead. Too many small and medium shops have no formal training and you will be expected to 'figure things out on your own'. A guaranteed recipe for failure;

4. Recruiting is Sales. So be a Talker on the interview. Show your energy and be sure to tell them you are the kind of person who likes to dig deep and find things out. Give examples;

5. Let them know you are a persistent person, especially in the face of adversity. Give examples;

6. It is typical of newbies that no sales are closed for a month or so at the beginning until you get to understand the business. So if they pay based on commissions, you will need to have about sixty to ninety days worth of money in the bank so you can get by without sales at first. Take this seriously- it is not uncommon to blank for the first month or so. If you are getting a large base this will be less of a problem but know that a high base means either no commissions or low commissions.

Good recruiters want a low base so they get higher commissions. Otherwise, you will be bringing in recruitment fees but not getting much of any of it and your employer will get the lion's share.

Beginners get about thirty percent commission and if you prove yourself, this rate will increase by the quarter. For example, your starting commission might be 30% of the fee and later, it may go to 35% of the fee up to say, $50,000 in billings and 45% of anything over $50,000. But remember this means you will be getting a low base of maybe $1000 a month. This might scare you but again, if you are not in this for the money, you should get out now- good recruiters see $100K a year once they are up and running.

Recruiters are usually hired based on Personality. So be personable. Let them know you make friends easily.

If you are asked to take a personality test, don't let it worry you. They look for not only average results but also, to a degree, results that show you appearing on the farther end of the scale, too. Good sales people are often a little 'out there' so don't worry about how you will do.

There's much, much more but this will get you through the first interview.

Let me know if you have any questions now or after the interview.

Also, it is foolish to not interview at other employment agencies if you are really interested in this kind of job. Those who take the first Offer they get are often full of regret once they get the lay of the land and realize they did not interview around to get a more well-rounded picture of what recruitment firms are all about.

Good Luck!

Paul

Old 03-16-2015, 06:29 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Good sales people are often a little 'out there' so don't worry about how you will do.
Hmm...all of the best salesmen I've encountered are introverts.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Hmm...all of the best salesmen I've encountered are introverts.
He probably meant out there as in they're creative/think outside of the box - traits of an introvert (mostly). But I agree. I've heard introverts are better sellers.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:42 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Tomorrow I have an interview after work for the recruiter job.
Any updates to share?

Old 03-17-2015, 07:32 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Any updates to share?
I second this!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:38 PM

63 posts, read 67,215 times
Quote:
Jess,

Normally I would have a lot of questions so I could tell if you are suited to this kind of work.

I'll just say two or three things, instead:

1. Depending on how you are getting paid (High base/Low base/Commissions?) this kind of job is usually sink or swim. If you fail to make quota (enough sales) you will be shown the door. It is common to be given sixty to ninety days to show you have the aptitude for this kind of work;

2. You must be always thinking in terms of making sales;

3. You need to ask if they have a formal training program. If they say 'yes' and really do, then you are more assured of success, assuming you have the aptitude to do this kind of work. If they say 'yes' but don't or say they don't, you need to ditch this and apply at one of the nationally branded employment agencies, instead. Too many small and medium shops have no formal training and you will be expected to 'figure things out on your own'. A guaranteed recipe for failure;

4. Recruiting is Sales. So be a Talker on the interview. Show your energy and be sure to tell them you are the kind of person who likes to dig deep and find things out. Give examples;

5. Let them know you are a persistent person, especially in the face of adversity. Give examples;

6. It is typical of newbies that no sales are closed for a month or so at the beginning until you get to understand the business. So if they pay based on commissions, you will need to have about sixty to ninety days worth of money in the bank so you can get by without sales at first. Take this seriously- it is not uncommon to blank for the first month or so. If you are getting a large base this will be less of a problem but know that a high base means either no commissions or low commissions.

Good recruiters want a low base so they get higher commissions. Otherwise, you will be bringing in recruitment fees but not getting much of any of it and your employer will get the lion's share.

Beginners get about thirty percent commission and if you prove yourself, this rate will increase by the quarter. For example, your starting commission might be 30% of the fee and later, it may go to 35% of the fee up to say, $50,000 in billings and 45% of anything over $50,000. But remember this means you will be getting a low base of maybe $1000 a month. This might scare you but again, if you are not in this for the money, you should get out now- good recruiters see $100K a year once they are up and running.

Recruiters are usually hired based on Personality. So be personable. Let them know you make friends easily.

If you are asked to take a personality test, don't let it worry you. They look for not only average results but also, to a degree, results that show you appearing on the farther end of the scale, too. Good sales people are often a little 'out there' so don't worry about how you will do.

There's much, much more but this will get you through the first interview.

Let me know if you have any questions now or after the interview.

Also, it is foolish to not interview at other employment agencies if you are really interested in this kind of job. Those who take the first Offer they get are often full of regret once they get the lay of the land and realize they did not interview around to get a more well-rounded picture of what recruitment firms are all about.

Good Luck!

Paul

Hi Paul,

mind to share more about your sales roles as recruiter? I means how you get the sales? I have '0' experience on HR neither recruiter, but I am interested and applied as trainee to join one of the staffing agency yesterday (but no reply from the agency yet lol).

Old 03-18-2015, 08:06 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Default Recruiter Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbanya View Post
Hi Paul,

mind to share more about your sales roles as recruiter? I means how you get the sales? I have '0' experience on HR neither recruiter, but I am interested and applied as trainee to join one of the staffing agency yesterday (but no reply from the agency yet lol).

J, Hello....

Since you have no experience and I'm guessing no sales experience, it would be meaningless to give you a whole bunch of stuff to which you could not relate.

It would be better if you simply follow your nose and see where things go.

P.S. You asked the wrong question, by the way. LOL!

The only thing I will say is that anyone who applies at one agency and takes the job without interviewing at other agencies is not being very smart about their job search.

Different agencies operate differently and it would be of benefit if you were to arrange for multiple interviews so you can get a sense of what a 'best' choice would be.

Most people who take the first offer they get in this business find out they wish they had done more interviewing...

Bonne Chance,

Paul............

Old 03-18-2015, 08:13 PM

469 posts, read 637,468 times
Sooo, how did it go??

Old 03-18-2015, 08:51 PM

63 posts, read 67,215 times
Quote:
J, Hello....

Since you have no experience and I'm guessing no sales experience, it would be meaningless to give you a whole bunch of stuff to which you could not relate.

It would be better if you simply follow your nose and see where things go.

P.S. You asked the wrong question, by the way. LOL!

The only thing I will say is that anyone who applies at one agency and takes the job without interviewing at other agencies is not being very smart about their job search.

Different agencies operate differently and it would be of benefit if you were to arrange for multiple interviews so you can get a sense of what a 'best' choice would be.

Bonne Chance,

Paul............

I have over 10 years of business development experience (B2B) - more to account client servicing, but not recruiter lol. truly agreed on this!
Most people who take the first offer they get in this business find out they wish they had done more interviewing...
Exactly is my situation right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search