Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:46 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,814,211 times

Advertisements

Do you just make one generic cover letter and slightly change it for each job you apply for? or do you write a whole new letter for each job?

Also, I would appreciate it if someone could post an example of a letter they used that worked to get them an interview. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 06:59 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
I've experimented with all different kinds of cover letters. IMO, the most generic and "bland" ones were the ones which I've had the most success with. I've tailor-suited my cover letter for a few specific positions and/or companies, and those are the ones I've never heard back from.

Sometimes boring is beautiful. I've found that to be the recipe for success regarding cover letters.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:55 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,835 times
Exclamation Generic Cover Letter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Do you just make one generic cover letter and slightly change it for each job you apply for? or do you write a whole new letter for each job?

Also, I would appreciate it if someone could post an example of a letter they used that worked to get them an interview. Thanks!
Assuming it even gets read.....

Cover Letters are to pre-close the Resume Reader as to why s/he should hire you, specifically.

Each Cover Letter you write gives examples of evidence as to why you are [uniquely] qualified for the job.

So, yes, of course, each Cover Letter is separate from the last since even if you are applying for similar jobs, there needs to be a different slant toward each company with regard to its markets, processes or products/services or maybe even culture.

If you provide no such 'slant' then you may appear to be saying you see no difference between their company as compared to others in its market niche.

Paul...........

Old 09-14-2015, 06:25 AM

291 posts, read 390,933 times
Don't look at the cover letter as an imposition. It is an opportunity to dazzle, to sell yourself or to detail why you would be great for the position.

With cover letters, less is more. They are not going to read a novel. Most will skim a brief, well-organized letter.

I always read the job description before I write my cover letter and try and use the job description as a guide for the cover letter.

Some of your cover letter will be generic, but don't go to the effort of the entire online application process and squander the opportunity to take a few minutes to sell yourself.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:44 AM

461 posts, read 509,527 times
Do a google search on sample cover letters. This will give you a template to work with. You can also type sample cover letter or key words for your industry to help there. In other words type in the industry you work for and then sample cover letter or key words. This will help you with things to say relevant to your field.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:34 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,957 times
I have actually stopped writing cover letters. Basically companies are looking for certain experience and skills - you either have those or you don't and that will be clear from the resume. I'm not wasting my time on a letter that may get read, but if it does will have no impact on whether I get a call.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:06 PM

291 posts, read 390,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I have actually stopped writing cover letters. Basically companies are looking for certain experience and skills - you either have those or you don't and that will be clear from the resume. I'm not wasting my time on a letter that may get read, but if it does will have no impact on whether I get a call.
If asked why you didn't include one, I hope that would not be your explanation.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:07 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Quote:
Depending on the industry is a key qualifier for your opinion. This can work in skilled labor and technical positions but would fail in admin, sales, customer service to name a few.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:20 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,957 times
I've had multiple professional marketing jobs in my 20 year career. No one has ever mentioned the cover letter in an interview.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Quote:
I've had multiple professional marketing jobs in my 20 year career. No one has ever mentioned the cover letter in an interview.
You have a portfolio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search