Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 07:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No. Where I work you will be fired if they catch you later. Even years later.
Yes, I suppose if you can get away with it and can do the work it's better than not having a job, but our policy is to immediately fire anyone who has falsified their resume/application regardless of how long ago they applied. We do verify, however, and sometimes the lies are easily identified by looking at social media. I find that carefully crafted interview questions catch most of them. Someone who lists budgeting experience on their resume but cannot define "accrual" for example.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
have you lied on a resume to get a job?
i was jobless for 2 years. and i lied. to get a job. they didn't even bother to check the references to work as Tech support contractor for CitiBank.

I am trying to transition careers IT software field different from low level tech support.
having my friend vouch for me as a supervisor.

at least you know how to the job. i see resume on Indeed, there no way so many people have 4-7 same positions in the same title just job hopping companies, leaving fortune 500 companies for no name companies. they lying. HR knows anyway resumes have lies and know people are desperate for jobs . at least my college degree is real.

No, everybody doesn't lie on their resume.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times
No, never lied. I've certainly played up the "good" things I have done in my jobs, but I'm not much of a liar.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
First it is important to understand everyone lies in an interview. Interviews are a BSing contest. Most people are looking to leave their current employer for either more money or because they have problems with their boss. No one, of course, says that in an interview. The reason why most people want to work for you are based on pay and location yet they hurl BS about what a great company yada yada.

My advice is that every lie is a risk and it should be minimized. As for the ethical considerations, anyone who has read this forum for any length of time should realize that companies have little moral high ground and their demands for 100% honesty from job applicants is classic do as I say not as I do.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:58 AM

298 posts, read 270,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
First it is important to understand everyone lies in an interview. Interviews are a BSing contest. Most people are looking to leave their current employer for either more money or because they have problems with their boss. No one, of course, says that in an interview. The reason why most people want to work for you are based on pay and location yet they hurl BS about what a great company yada yada.

My advice is that every lie is a risk and it should be minimized. As for the ethical considerations, anyone who has read this forum for any length of time should realize that companies have little moral high ground and their demands for 100% honesty from job applicants is classic do as I say not as I do.
Oh of course and absolutely. Anybody with half a brain and a pulse who picks up the papers or turns on the news realizes real fast how unethical corporations are. Especially big corporate.

They have such a bias against people over 50, mothers, those who take time from career to be caretakers, and a myriad of demographic groups. As if being unemployed over 6 months makes you completely obsolete as a worker. So your education and 10-15 yrs of work experienced and skills is worthless all because you took a few years to care for a terminally ill parent or raise your child? Somebody HAS to do these two things. Credit checking and rejecting long term unemployed has become such an epidemic that some states and cities have enacted laws protecting people. People end up in circumstance not of their doing or fault, yet companies put the scarlet letter on those people. OF COURSE THESE PEOPLE ARE GOING TO LIE ON THEIR RESUMES AND APPLICATIONS. Who wouldn't?

Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 AM

684 posts, read 713,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post
have you lied on a resume to get a job?
i was jobless for 2 years. and i lied. to get a job. they didn't even bother to check the references to work as Tech support contractor for CitiBank.

I am trying to transition careers IT software field different from low level tech support.
having my friend vouch for me as a supervisor.

at least you know how to the job. i see resume on Indeed, there no way so many people have 4-7 same positions in the same title just job hopping companies, leaving fortune 500 companies for no name companies. they lying. HR knows anyway resumes have lies and know people are desperate for jobs . at least my college degree is real.
1. A resume is NOT a legal document, it's a marketing letter. This is where you list your relevant experiences and skills. I have omitted experiences from my resume that was not relevant to my career objectives and I have talked in grater detail about experiences skills that are relevant to my career objectives /pay grade.

2. I was told that HR and recruiter drones do not like gaps on resume. I like to finish up with my existing company and clear my head. Since I do consulting, I take time off between projects. This does not always work with belaboring idiots of HR industry, so you fudge the dates.

3. I perform similar duties from time to time. Sometimes my Job tittle differed. Right now, my email signature says "Software Developer" I do not have a job title listed in my employment contract. It is fair to say that all jobs can be described with "Software Developer" or "Software Engineer". I have had a tittle of "programmer analyst" also... The job was not different then "Data programmer". In some companies Job Tittle tells you what you are being paid. Since I do consulting, it does not matter. Many companies instead of giving better rates give fancy tittles. "VP of something" or other, "Senior software Developer", I have even seen "Super Senior Software Developer", that role I had to reject because I wanted it be "Super Duper Senior Software Developer" .

4. Many people cover up employments gaps with volunteering experience. Charity name, job title volunteer. This way you are effectively communicating that you were jobless without lying. I would "lie" as you put it.

5. To get into ABC's of software development one needs to have some statistical concepts. So as a statistical concept, an average IT resume in US is 30% inflated, exaggerated, "lie" as you put it". So if I have a 3 page resume, that means that one page is a lie ?... I don't think I lie enouph, because it's less then a page

There are some verifiable facts on the resume, the rest is marketing. Resume has to list qualifications to the job you want and not the job you had, because if keep applying to the jobs you had before, you are not going to progress forward

Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 AM

275 posts, read 252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, I suppose if you can get away with it and can do the work it's better than not having a job, but our policy is to immediately fire anyone who has falsified their resume/application regardless of how long ago they applied. We do verify, however, and sometimes the lies are easily identified by looking at social media. I find that carefully crafted interview questions catch most of them. Someone who lists budgeting experience on their resume but cannot define "accrual" for example.
^^^^This. And, if this happens 5 years later, that is a heck of a gap on the resume/job you don't have references from.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:07 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,896,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Interviews are a BSing contest.
This is why the bubbly, extroverted types always excel at passing interviews with flying colors. I'm soft-spoken and its harder to "wow" the interviewer because all of my accomplishments are on paper and I guess I don't have the gift of the gab, as they say.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:37 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Personally no. The only way lying would help my resume is if I straight up say I can do things that I can't. I work in mid to senior level technical job and I've had few interviews lately and hiring managers have asked me several questions that I would not be able to answer if I didn't have experience that I said I did. So I could say I'm a Linux system admin or I can write java script or python and I can tell you that where I work the hiring managers are going to ask you in depth questions and even have you write examples of code if you're in software realm. I think you can lie an get low entry level stuff but most good jobs will sniff you out

Old 03-03-2016, 09:17 PM

853 posts, read 647,781 times
I have an idea after looking at this thread. I am in a desperate situation and I need a job urgently. In the country I am living now, purchasing jobs are in highly demand. There are jobs for all levels but unfortunately I do not have experience with SAP because I have never worked in purchasing departments in my previous experiences. I am thinking about put SAP relating with an internship of a small company I have done in 2012 to apply for recent graduate jobs that only ask for little knowledge of SAP but not experience at all. I may have a look at some tutorials in youtube to learn how it works. After all is only a computer program in a resume of 3 experiences. What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search