Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 07:54 AM

429 posts, read 390,615 times

Advertisements

If you list places that went belly up or merged, list them for the dates going far back. At least 5 years or more. I actually worked for a company that went bankrupt in 2006. That was 10 years ago, and of course nobody cares about it now. They google the name, and it's public record the employer closed their doors. AS for requesting personal financial info from previous jobs, there are numerous threads about it. Many job seekers are going to decline to show paystubs/W2 or tax return. If someone asked me about this for my 2006 job, seriously, I would just laugh in their face. Not only are they calling me a liar, but they're paranoid. This is not an employer I would ever work for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 12:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times
If politicians can lie and cheat to get in office, why can't the average person do the same?

Old 08-13-2016, 01:51 PM

429 posts, read 390,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
If politicians can lie and cheat to get in office, why can't the average person do the same?
average people DO lie. It won't get them into office. People with $$ and connections get into office. You have to be good at lying though. The whole goal of lying is not to get found out. It becomes a lie only if it's found out. And don't lie about scheit that will get you jailed or sued. All else is fair in love and war. Job hunting is WAR. don't lie about advanced degrees or licenses or software knowledge they'll test for. But on a resume and application, some job 6 or 10 years ago? Oh helll....please if you have an unemployment gap or need some references...you probably read these threads on here of people who are suffering because of these things. You decide what's better...lying a little bit and faking or getting an eviction notice and going on foodstamps.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:02 PM

270 posts, read 282,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
If you list places that went belly up or merged, list them for the dates going far back. At least 5 years or more. I actually worked for a company that went bankrupt in 2006. That was 10 years ago, and of course nobody cares about it now. They google the name, and it's public record the employer closed their doors. AS for requesting personal financial info from previous jobs, there are numerous threads about it. Many job seekers are going to decline to show paystubs/W2 or tax return. If someone asked me about this for my 2006 job, seriously, I would just laugh in their face. Not only are they calling me a liar, but they're paranoid. This is not an employer I would ever work for.
For some companies, the background check includes the validity of previous employers listed on your resume/application....that means checking dates as well. So if the background check company can't get in contact with the company you said you worked for, they will ask you for w2s or a tax form showing you worked there. Ultimately though,it is up to the employer to decide if they want to hire you, even if you can't provide proof. If you said you worked at a company for 2 years doing something similar to the job you are applying for, I'm sure they will want proof that you actually did. But as I said before, not a lot of companies go that far into your background. This is for the type of jobs that are in hospitals or that deal with a persons personal information such as a bank.

You say you would laugh in their face, but trust me if they are offering you a nice salary you most likely won't be laughing and will be wishing you had that w2 or tax form.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:09 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
they will ask you for w2s or a tax form showing you worked there. Ultimately though,it is up to the employer to decide if they want to hire you, even if you can't provide proof.
Ever heard of photoshop? I could use photoshop to create documents that shows my start and end dates. All I have to do is look up a sample online.

Quote:
You say you would laugh in their face, but trust me if they are offering you a nice salary you most likely won't be laughing and will be wishing you had that w2 or tax form.
No amount of money would convince me to show them my tax returns. One does not simply hand over their tax returns to someone they don't know for a job that they might not get hired at

I would never willy nilly show some random person my sensitive financial records. Not even my friends and family.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Ever heard of photoshop? I could use photoshop to create documents that shows my start and end dates. All I have to do is look up a sample online.

No amount of money would convince me to show them my tax returns. One does not simply hand over their tax returns to someone they don't know for a job that they might not get hired at

I would never willy nilly show some random person my sensitive financial records. Not even my friends and family.

As I stated before, it depends on what type of background check the company is doing. If you don't pass then you don't pass, its up to you whether you want to dispute it or not. The company couldn't care less because there will always be another candidate waiting to take the job.

But out of curiosity what are you so afraid of by giving them a tax form or w2? Before you work a job you have to show them your birth certificate or Social security card anyways.....who cares about how much money you made in the past.

Last edited by NicoleNicole; 08-13-2016 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2016, 09:34 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,586 times
Quote:
As I stated before, it depends on what type of background check the company is doing. If you don't pass then you don't pass, its up to you whether you want to dispute it or not. The company couldn't care less because there will always be another candidate waiting to take the job.

But out of curiosity what are you so afraid of by giving them a tax form or w2? Before you work a job you have to show them your birth certificate or Social security card anyways.....who cares about how much money you made in the past.
I know someone who was offered a position at 140k. Once the company found out they only made 88k in their last job, since they supplied the information for the background check, they changed the offer to 103k.

Never supply past salary information. It completely ruins your position for negotiation.

If everyone would just do that the companies would stop asking for it.

Huge problem today is employees just let themselves get taken advantage of.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I know someone who was offered a position at 140k. Once the company found out they only made 88k in their last job, since they supplied the information for the background check, they changed the offer to 103k.

Never supply past salary information. It completely ruins your position for negotiation.

If everyone would just do that the companies would stop asking for it.

Huge problem today is employees just let themselves get taken advantage of.
I'm not talking about providing the information for salary reasons, I'm talking about for background purposes such as for providing proof you worked at a company.

But since on the topic of salary.....If an employer ask you about salary and that is included in the background check, its better not to lie about it because if you do that can come up as a discrepancy.

Regardless if the employer offered 140k and reduced it down to 103k, it is up to the candidate to accept the offer or not.

If the candidate decides not to provide information, the company could decide not to go with an offer at all.

Its clear that employers aren't jumping through hoops to hire certain candidates these days, there is nothing that somebody else won't do to be employed.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:12 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
I never lie on my resumes, however, I do leave out certain things if they aren't relevant to the position I'm applying for.

For example, I worked at a grocery store and a call center in college (not that long ago for me). I don't even include that in my resume because it isn't relevant to my current field, higher ed administration.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:29 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
An outright lie where you list a degree that you never got, school that you never went to, or job that you never worked is a bad idea. The lie will likely be caught during a background check and you will definitely get fired once caught.

Overstating/stretching or lying about skills and accomplishments, while it may not get caught or get you fired directly- it will likely lead to the company having high expectations of what you listed. If you get to the job and can't perform at the level that you stated, you will likely be fired or poorly evaluated eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search