Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,343,261 times

Advertisements

I have a situation that has never come up for me before and I just wanted to get some thoughts on what is going on and how I should handle it.

I applied for a job about 60 days ago, forgot all about it after a month. They contacted me for a phone interview, which I did. A couple weeks go by and they invite me in for a panel interview. About a week and a half later, they ask for references which I provide. I know that none of my references have been contacted yet and now the company wants to meet with me for a quick chat in a public place. I have never had a job search process work like this.

What is going on?

Should I pull the plug since it seems like they have no shortage of hoops for me to jump through?

I have a job already, so starting to think they are just wasting my time and I should withdraw from consideration. Does this sound normal or are jerking me around? Should I bring an accordion and put on a talent show next time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 08:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,582,315 times
They most likely want to have one final sit down with you in a more casual setting to make sure there are no red flags that pop out. Perhaps someone who you haven't met yet will come along to make sure you pass the sniff test. If you want the job go for it. I see no harm in this request. Or perhaps they want to deliver the offer to you in person in an informal setting?

Old 11-07-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
They most likely want to have one final sit down with you in a more casual setting to make sure there are no red flags that pop out. Perhaps someone who you haven't met yet will come along to make sure you pass the sniff test. If you want the job go for it. I see no harm in this request. Or perhaps they want to deliver the offer to you in person in an informal setting?
The harm is that I have to find an excuse to get away from the job I already have and the risk of being seen in a public place when I should be at work. And the overall hassle of a hiring process that seems like it will never end.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,582,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The harm is that I have to find an excuse to get away from the job I already have and the risk of being seen in a public place when I should be at work. And the overall hassle of a hiring process that seems like it will never end.
Well there you go then. You have your answer. Turn them down.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:37 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,162,760 times
I'm not sure what hoops you have had to jump through. You've had a phone interview, an in-person interview, and a request for references -- all of which are standard operating procedure in the hiring process. A second interview is hardly unusual, even in a public place. If this is all too much for you, then by all means withdraw from the process. But it all seems extremely normal.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:14 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,497,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I have a situation that has never come up for me before and I just wanted to get some thoughts on what is going on and how I should handle it.

I applied for a job about 60 days ago, forgot all about it after a month. They contacted me for a phone interview, which I did. A couple weeks go by and they invite me in for a panel interview. About a week and a half later, they ask for references which I provide. I know that none of my references have been contacted yet and now the company wants to meet with me for a quick chat in a public place. I have never had a job search process work like this.

What is going on?

Should I pull the plug since it seems like they have no shortage of hoops for me to jump through?

I have a job already, so starting to think they are just wasting my time and I should withdraw from consideration. Does this sound normal or are jerking me around? Should I bring an accordion and put on a talent show next time?
Some employers are just plan stupid. Who has time for this nonsense? Phone interview, face to face interview and background check. Anything else is too much.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 AM

6,469 posts, read 9,846,320 times
Just take a day off!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,464,284 times
I'd say it is still in the realm of reasonable. I'd do it. When you start getting into 3+ in person interviews on different days then it raises red flags about a company that doesn't respect my time nor make decisions effectively and efficiently.

I've seen processes that really do just drag on and on and it is like a buyer that asks a realtor to see the same house 4 times or the car salesman to test drive the same car 4 times. Stop wasting everyone's time and make a decision idiot.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:37 PM

I went ahead and did it. Instant regret. I met the exec director who told me that they just like to refresh their memory before they select candidates for a final round of interviews. I spent one hour round trip commuting to a place near his house for a 5 minute conversation that could have been accomplished with an email. He sent an email afterwards asking about my availability for a final interview. I told him that I am no longer interested in the job. He replied back that many people have dropped out of the running or were a no show for the public meeting and that the odds are now in my favor, lol.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,464,284 times
That is a very stupid way to select talent. Make the hiring process so inefficient and cumbersome that the majority of talent (the best talent) give up. That is almost as bad as having the obnoxious and cerebral challenged HR person run the selection process.

At this point you did the right thing OP. This is a company that has no respect for your time and has a very poor hiring and decision making processes.

I can just imagine the final hire. We decided to hire Joe because he was the only candidate left who would tolerate our excrement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search