Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 08:20 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
My current job is ending on June 28th and I may have to take this job that is not high on my list due to the costly health benefits. So if I take the job offer and then all of a sudden one of those state jobs I applied for contacts me for a interview during the first 60 days of a new job how do I handle that?
Take a few hours off, unpaid. Interview won't take the full day. Ask for as early or as late as possible interview time. Tell them it is a doctors follow up appointment, set long ago.

June 28th is not far off, so I would lock something down ASAP even if benefits are inferior. Bad benefits are better than no benefits, after all.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 05-26-2019 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 09:33 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Take a few hours off, unpaid. Interview won't take the full day. Ask for as early or as late as possible interview time. Tell them it is a doctors follow up appointment, set long ago.

June 28th is not far off, so I would lock something down ASAP even if benefits are inferior. Bad benefits are better than no benefits, after all.
I thought about that and then said, "who wants to work just to have healthcare?" That's why I am hoping something else comes through but if not the job is 5 to 10 mins away from home. So let's what happens as the month of June now approaches.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Their healthcare would be an additional $60 a month on top of what I am paying now. So that's why I put a higher range where they may offer the lower end which would balance things out and avoid me bringing home less money after taxes.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Their healthcare would be an additional $60 a month on top of what I am paying now. So that's why I put a higher range where they may offer the lower end which would balance things out and avoid me bringing home less money after taxes.
So $45 per month, net, in all likelihood.

You do know the $60 reduces tax liabilities as its a pre tax payment, right?

Old 05-26-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
So $45 per month, net, in all likelihood.

You do know the $60 reduces tax liabilities as its a pre tax payment, right?
No I wasn't aware of that at all.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
No I wasn't aware of that at all.
It reduces SS tax (both employer and employee), Employee Federal Income Tax, plus State/city Income taxes.

Taxes are based on Gross less Employee contribution towards retirement via payroll, less Health, Life, & Disability employee deductions from payroll, less Transit deductions from employee also.

Good rule of thumb, take your total income taxes paid each check/gross each check, and if it is say 25%, assume the $60 cost you (100% less that 25%) or 75% of it = $45.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:50 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to end up with nothing
Then don't go to the other interview.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Then don't go to the other interview.
That's where the problem comes in

The place that is going to offer me the job means I will have a job until 2025 if I remain healthy. The place that may call for a interview will mean I will have a job beyond 2024 because it's a government job with the state. The place I interviewed with just won a 5 year contract like the place I am currently with until 6/28 and don't want to go through this again in 5 years. But the way it looks now I have no choice unless a miracle happens in June

Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That's where the problem comes in

The place that is going to offer me the job means I will have a job until 2025 if I remain healthy. The place that may call for a interview will mean I will have a job beyond 2024 because it's a government job with the state. The place I interviewed with just won a 5 year contract like the place I am currently with until 6/28 and don't want to go through this again in 5 years. But the way it looks now I have no choice unless a miracle happens in June
So who says you must stay the 5 years? Your job, ending next month, you stated has had quite a few quit since December.

So stay a year or two, then start applying elsewhere, instead of waiting out 5 years.

I also would not count on a job offer, until the employer makes an offer. Hope for the best, brace for the worst.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
So who says you must stay the 5 years? Your job, ending next month, you stated has had quite a few quit since December.

So stay a year or two, then start applying elsewhere, instead of waiting out 5 years.

I also would not count on a job offer, until the employer makes an offer. Hope for the best, brace for the worst.
I could be wrong but these are all the things that happened that leads me to believe they will offer me the job

1. Him asking can I start before 6/17

2. Him telling someone I know who already works there that he interviewed me that day which led to the person saying to me on social media...."I heard you were here today"

3. Him trying to sell the job to me when he said I may only have to work 1 Saturday every other month

But like I said I could be wrong but it just feels they will offer me the job.

BTW: I interviewed with this same place back in 2013 and was in the same situation but something else came through at the last minute which was the job I am at now that lost the contract. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search