Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
"Why is the position open?"

I see so many articles suggesting that is one of the questions you should ask but why do we need to know the answer to that question anyway when we kind of already know either the last person was fired, resigned, or got promoted. Has anyone ever asked this dumb question at a interview?
I have asked it because its not a dumb question. I found out only afterward on one occasion that the reason there was such a high turnover was because the director was hell on wheels.

I would also like to know if the previous person had only been there a short time if they will tell me that. You can get alot of information from that question about what kind of work environment you are heading into.

For example if they have just created this position and it comes down to letting people go, you are probably going to be one of the first considered.

I think when you are interviewing for a job you should ask questions if only for your own sake. If you take the job and find out later things you wish you had asked about during the interview then thats your own fault. I also think a fair interviewer would think better of someone who asks questions. Someone who gets irritated with this question in particular might have something to hide like maybe the company is just really hard to work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 12:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
I'm not going to ask a question I already know the answer to which is FIRED, RESIGNED, or PROMOTED.

FAIL.

My current position is a new one--no one was any of the above.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,411 times
Quote:
I'm not going to ask a question I already know the answer to which is FIRED, RESIGNED, or PROMOTED.
Okay, you keep doing things the way you've been doing them. Clearly your interview tactics are successful...

Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Okay, you keep doing things the way you've been doing them. Clearly your interview tactics are successful...
:::::snicker:::::

Old 04-26-2009, 12:30 PM

80 posts, read 251,086 times
Sometimes you don't want to know the answer to this question. Last job I had (which was supposed to go full time), they hedged around it. "Uh, I dunno, one day she just stopped showing up ..."

Oh really?

After I got inexplicably fired for no reason, I found out I was the fourth person my recruiter sent to fill that position. Each lasted about the same amount of time. If I had known that in advance, there is no way I would have gotten my hopes up. I just would have accepted that it was about a month's worth of temporary work and left it at that.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 PM

268 posts, read 817,233 times
You would be suprised and the number of candidates who DO NOT ask that question....or any questions about a position.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 PM

80 posts, read 251,086 times
Well, honestly ... I used to ask more questions when I interviewed before. Now, I'm just terrified. I don't want to come across as though I'm being picky. All I need is to get paid -- I don't need fancy benefits or a lot of sick/vacation days. I'd be willing to work nonstop, year 'round, without any kind of benefits, if that means I can support myself. And I mean that. If I'm qualified, all I need to know is the working hours and duties expected.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:39 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
You would be suprised and the number of candidates who DO NOT ask that question....or any questions about a position.
I have several questions to ask about the position just not that one

Old 04-26-2009, 01:06 PM

268 posts, read 817,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheTemp View Post
Well, honestly ... I used to ask more questions when I interviewed before. Now, I'm just terrified. I don't want to come across as though I'm being picky. All I need is to get paid -- I don't need fancy benefits or a lot of sick/vacation days. I'd be willing to work nonstop, year 'round, without any kind of benefits, if that means I can support myself. And I mean that. If I'm qualified, all I need to know is the working hours and duties expected.
I can sense your desperation. Good luck to you.

I hope President Obama sees that it is better to have folks working rather than giving money to Investment Banks for lavish parties, salaries that are obscene and enormous bonuses.

Maybe he should take a clue from the Roosevelt administration and start up the WPA and get some jobs to the working people.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp killer View Post
I can sense your desperation. Good luck to you.

I hope President Obama sees that it is better to have folks working rather than giving money to Investment Banks for lavish parties, salaries that are obscene and enormous bonuses.

Maybe he should take a clue from the Roosevelt administration and start up the WPA and get some jobs to the working people.
And how many people are really going to leave their families and go and live in tents in camps and do manual labor all day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search