Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:41 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

"Why is the position open?"

I see so many articles suggesting that is one of the questions you should ask but why do we need to know the answer to that question anyway when we kind of already know either the last person was fired, resigned, or got promoted. Has anyone ever asked this dumb question at a interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I've asked the question, but not quite so bluntly. I think it's a fair question. The job that I just got I said "Is this a new position due to company growth?"

Old 04-26-2009, 10:32 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I always ask why the job is open. I want to know what happened to the last person. You can tell a lot about a job about why the person left.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I always ask why the job is open. I want to know what happened to the last person. You can tell a lot about a job about why the person left.

That just seems like prying to me. I think better questions are

What are some of the biggest challenges for someone in this position?

What were the goals for this department last year and were they achieved?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

And what if it's a newly created position and department? Like the job I just got.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:56 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
I agree! ;-)))

lol!

Why? Because you want it to be learning process..about the person interviewing you. The direct approach is usually not the best. It gets you a predictable answer.

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
It is a very important question to ask, depending on the level of job that you are applying for.

It is one clue to turnover in the company. I view high turnover as bad, in that it means nobody wants to stay, and the company has a bad work environment.

It is a clue as to what the hiring manager values, which allows you to tailor your responses for the rest of the interview, and for you to know if you can live up to his/her expectations.

It is a clue to the financial viability of the company.

It is a hint to the hiring manager that you care about more than just the paycheck.l

Old 04-26-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It is a very important question to ask, depending on the level of job that you are applying for.

It is one clue to turnover in the company. I view high turnover as bad, in that it means nobody wants to stay, and the company has a bad work environment.

It is a clue as to what the hiring manager values, which allows you to tailor your responses for the rest of the interview, and for you to know if you can live up to his/her expectations.

It is a clue to the financial viability of the company.

It is a hint to the hiring manager that you care about more than just the paycheck.l

Well I still ask tons of other questions about the position to let them know i just don't care about a paycheck but I just never felt comfortable asking that particular question.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,932 times
It's not a dumb question at all. You should ask that question on every single interview.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
It's not a dumb question at all. You should ask that question on every single interview.
I'm not going to ask a question I already know the answer to which is FIRED, RESIGNED, or PROMOTED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search