Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:11 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, that is true. But he was a talented writer, just fell into the corporate trap like the rest of us.
Sometimes you need a job just to pay the bills. The great thing about a talent like writing is that you can do it any place, any time. I have several friends who are published writers but have boring corporate jobs so they can have a roof over their heads and food on the table. Maybe one day they'll be successful enough with the writing that they can do that full time but for now, this works for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you'd read all of WT's posts you'll understand the contempt. They are in all likelihood not employed and sit at home trying to come up with the most ridiculous scenarios.

I am part of a hiring team at my job as well.
Anyone with half a brain would know, especially if they were a real HR person, the answer to the OP's question. We all know the OP is not fer reel. Even the statement of what not to do in an interview is taken right off of another website, plagiarism.
Quote:
There are lots of common job interview mistakes a candidate should avoid. I have been privileged to sit in countless interviews as a panel member/ interviewer in my career. I have learnt a lot of lessons from each job interview but some mistakes stood out and were there in almost every interview sitting.

Job Interview Mistakes to Avoid:

Inadequate Preparation. This is the most important thing to do for any interview. Prepare enough and be ready for any question.
Time.
A candidate MUST never be late for a job interview.
Dressing Up or Down.
Some people dress in their best suits, which are more suitable for a wedding than a job interview.
Handshake.
I have experience too firm and too soft handshakes from candidates.
Sitting.
Slouching in the chair looks very lazy and disrespectful.
Eye Contact.
Eye contact can also be a culture issue. In some cultures eye contact could be a sign of disrespect.
Not Doing Enough for a Promotion.
The internal candidates who are interviewed for a promotion usually do worse than the external ones.
Appearing to be Arrogant.
Sometimes one just knows too much about the position and its job description.
Not Asking a Question
As much as one prepares to handle question, he or she should prepare the questions to ask the interviewer.
Complaining.
A candidate may complain about being kept waiting, not being given enough time to prepare or being given bad directions.
Not listening properly to questions
Candidates frequently do not listen properly to the question(s) asked and so recruiters have to prompt for answers. Taking time to consider a question and ask for it to be repeated can help.
One of the things you do not do, which many people do unconsciously, especially men, is to wipe the sweat off your hand on your clothes before shaking the hand of the interviewer.
Trying to be funny is something you don't want to do. You are trying to get a job so keep it serious and professional.
Another thing you don't want to do is to start the interview with questions or comments. Let the interviewer begin the interview.
Lastly, do not prop your leg or lean back in a casual manner trying to act cool. It's totally immature and makes you appear unintelligent. Sit up straight, hands in your lap or on the arms of the chair or on the table if you're sitting at a table. A slight smile would be nice, but don't grin like a possum, which also makes you look unintelligent. A serious expression reflects professionalism.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you'd read all of WT's posts you'll understand the contempt. They are in all likelihood not employed and sit at home trying to come up with the most ridiculous scenarios.

I am part of a hiring team at my job as well.
I haven't read any other posts, but that was spot on from my experience.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,406 times
Default Thank you

In fact I feel very sorry for a number of applicants who do not get the job. In some cases they make an honest mistake but in others I am just shocked how a person could be so ill informed and allow themselves to come off so poorly.

I want to pull them aside and speak to them about how they could do better next time, but am afraid they will not take me seriously or get defensive. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I haven't read any other posts, but that was spot on from my experience.

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 07-23-2009 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In fact I feel very sorry for a number of applicants who do not get the job. In some cases they make an honest mistake but in others I am just shocked how a person could be so ill informed and allow themselves to come off so poorly.

I want to pull them aside and speak to them about how they could do better next time, but am afraid they will not take me seriously or get defense. What to do?
You would make an excellent beauty contest judge.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
Quote:

I want to pull them aside and speak to them about how they could do better next time, but am afraid they will not take me seriously or get defense. What to do?
I don't take you seriously, and get defense? hmmm really qualified HR again, probably meant, that they would, take offense, or would get defensive, but we're only talking about an HR pro with 20 years of experience, not like you would expect them to get it right.

(Hey, if the OP is going to start a thread about other people's faux pas, then we need to be careful about what we say and how we say it)

Old 07-23-2009, 03:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Another thing, too, about this thread, is that I think it would be nearly-impossible for an interviewer to give an honest answer to how someone interviewed unless that person was either very good (but still didn't get the offer) or terrible enough to be memorable. Sometimes there are numerous interviews for jobs and, as the interviewer progresses through the tedious task their minds get almost numb before they're even done. So, while he/she could make notes about the applicant, the chances of a personal opinion are slim to none.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
never, well i used to want to be helpful. but then i found out (the hard way) the person asking already knew and was waiting for someone to point the fault out so they could scratch their eyes out.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:45 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,406 times
Default You are right, somewhat

I agree with your comments below to a point. You are right, most candidates who come in for employment are very average and not very memorable. They do not necessarily do anything really stupid but on the other hand few candidates seem to have that something extra that makes you want to hire them for very competitive jobs.

I wonder what goes on in their head when they must know there were over one hundred applicants but they come in unprepared and have no sales ability.

What people do not get now a days is how much the game has changed since we have moved to a ten percent unemployment rate. I can remember the boom days of the Clinton Administration when the unemployment rate in Northern Va was about 2 percent (3.5% nationally). If you could speak and had the minimum qualifications for your field, someone would hire you.

I think many applicants now days are in denial and will not admit to themselves that they have to make an extra effort to be twice as impressive in an interview as before. People still do not seriously consider things like Toastmasters, Public Speaking Classes, a communications coach, acting classes or at a minimum practicing in front of a mirror or a mock interview with a friend.

I suspect many applicants will continue to be average and that does not do it anymore for good jobs unless you are lucky or know someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Another thing, too, about this thread, is that I think it would be nearly-impossible for an interviewer to give an honest answer to how someone interviewed unless that person was either very good (but still didn't get the offer) or terrible enough to be memorable. Sometimes there are numerous interviews for jobs and, as the interviewer progresses through the tedious task their minds get almost numb before they're even done. So, while he/she could make notes about the applicant, the chances of a personal opinion are slim to none.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
I agree with your comments below to a point. You are right, most candidates who come in for employment are very average and not very memorable. They do not necessarily do anything really stupid but on the other hand few candidates seem to have that something extra that makes you want to hire them for very competitive jobs.

Interesting. I feel that way about most of the recruiters I've worked with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search