Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
But what if he is bringing you the gospel because he loves you and prays for your soul to avoid eternal damnation? He's wrong that this approach will work, but maybe it's coming from a loving heart.
The is the age-old rationalization by those who hassle (and much worse) others about religion.

It's disrespectful, it's clearly unwelcome, and it is most certainly not friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:11 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
But what if he is bringing you the gospel because he loves you and prays for your soul to avoid eternal damnation? He's wrong that this approach will work, but maybe it's coming from a loving heart.
Ok, who are you and what did you do with TFF?...

Old 05-27-2015, 05:21 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
they don't call him the flip flop for nothing! LOL

Old 05-27-2015, 06:17 PM

1,422 posts, read 952,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
especially around my goyim friends.
I find this word to be offensive.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
A 'loving' heart you say?

Hmmm...in others words "he has your best intentions at heart"? But maybe if one could understand that such a cruel idea of G()D (that would do such a thing to anyone) is loved and believed to exist as a real being with those powers and intentions one might actually understand that love cannot abide in such a heart to begin with.

I might call itself love, understand itself to being loving and caring but how can it really be love?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
they don't call him the flip flop for nothing! LOL
Ah hahaha

It sounds like the last sound made by a landlocked fish. No offence intended...since one symbol for Jesus is the fish, it kinda suits.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
I find this word to be offensive.
Why?...

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Ah hahaha

It sounds like the last sound made by a landlocked fish. No offence intended...since one symbol for Jesus is the fish, it kinda suits.
It wasn't really the fish for him...The fish was a sign of Christianity...

Old 05-27-2015, 06:51 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,741,099 times
Quote:
He is trying to convert you, and it would never end even if you tell him to stop.
I agree. I am almost amazed by how subtle he is about including Jesus references to the most benign conversations. For example, I could tell him that I need to bring my car into the shop for a routine oil change and he might reply with a bible quote stating how Jesus got trapped in the mud riding his mule to Beersheba as a sign that G-D wanted it for a sacrifice to condemn the wicked. Now it doesn't happen all the time, but certainly enough to make me feel uncomfortable. I admit some of them are pretty slick in trying to convert you ever so discretely.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 PM

185 posts, read 253,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Okay, first and foremost I am a proud Jew. However, when out and about the issue of religion and how one defines and keeps it is left private, especially around my goyim friends. I really don't care what they do or don't believe in and it really is none of my business.

However, there is this one "friend" who knows about me being Jewish. Every so often he mentions Jesus or some random new testament bible verse in his conversation to sort of express and exemplify some random point no matter what the conversation entails. Honestly I find this Jesus talk to be a bit unsettling and even embarrassing for me when out in public with him. Maybe it is just me, but I really don't like to be inundated with random bible verses while trying to enjoy myself. Can anyone else relate?
I'm not Jewish so I can't relate. I would go the "Northerner" route and come right out with it. There is one sure way to find out if this person is a friend or not. Are you willing to explain the basics of your religion? You say this friend knows you're Jewish- does your friend understand what that means? Until I read the "Ask a Jew" thread, I had no idea that the Old Testament was not the Torah. If I was your friend, and wanted to connect with you on a deeper level, I would probably go the religion route thinking we at least had the OT in common. Obviously, that would be a huge mistake on my part. But, I would hate to lose your friendship because of my own ignorance. I would prefer a friend explain the basics and then suggest that we no longer discuss religion. If you make the effort and your friend persists- you did your best and you walk away.

All of this is meaningless if by some chance your religion directs you to immediately take the "Southern" route (which I highly doubt). I notice a lot of talk about trying to be converted. I hope deep down in your heart you know that sometimes what can be seen as someone trying to convert you can be a person that is completely ignorant of the fact they are insulting you and your religion. Maybe I'm naive, but I would hate to live my life believing all people would want to be that cruel.

~please forgive if I've used caps where I shouldn't and/or not used caps if I should have~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism