Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM

239 posts, read 257,046 times

Advertisements

I went to school with a couple of Bridges. Guess given we are all from good 'ol Indy, there always might be a connection or two. I can remember hearing someone say "well if they ever decide to do it, we'll all be rich". haha... not quite so sure about that one!! Oddly enough, right where they mentioned building the airport was near the water treatment plant... and it would smell quite often, especially on windy days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
I have had family out near, in and around Atherton for years. (Sibley, too.) Bridges, Brisbin, Messina(?) just to name a few branches of the family! Your comment about the airport brings to mind the N.I.M.B.Y. attitude that a lot of people take when something like a prison, airport, etc is proposed, and they'll say "Not In My Back Yard!". As far as the distance, that's what people said when they wanted to build K.C.I. where it is, "Why would you want to build an airport way up there?" Now look at the area! The city moved to be closer to the airport, and someday when K.C.I. runs out of room for future expansion, they'll have to move even further out! Look at the old Stapleton airport they had to close in Denver, for example. The city grew, and soon they were surrounded by the city, and even had runways out over I-70! So..when they decided to move the airport further north, they settled on 33,920 acres, or 53 square miles! People out there asked "Why?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

I noticed the Statue of Liberty that was at the corner of Maple and Pleasant at the school was missing. I believe it is now at the genealogical library on Kiger Road. I asked about it there, but another young lady said she did not know if it came from the former junior high school.
That indeed is the same statue. After it was removed from Palmer it sat for many years in the city garage lot behind the Sermon Center. When the Geneaology Library was built the statue was cleaned and restored to be properly displayed.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,746 times
There is some major deconstruction going on at the southeast corner of 23rd Street and Noland Road.

This is the site of the former Noland-Alton business district and the Clark Bernard drug store.

Years ago a major new Safeway was put on that corner and it seemingly did not last long. That building has sat there empty for awhile but has been brought down just recently.

A sign says a QT, Quick Trip, is going in there but there is already a QT on Noland at the end of that block. Maybe there is to be a super QT as on 40 highway and Lee's Summit where Stephenson's restaurant use to be.

Whatever it is there is some serious deconstruction going on.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
It is indeed a new and improved QuikTrip. QT has a pattern of upgrading their facilities.

Across the street to the north the automotive shop has asked for TIF financing to enlarge and renovate their property and the sidewalks.

Also this week I noticed earth work at the site of the old Candy Stripe Drive-In on 23rd. Stay tuned for updates.

WCHS, your observation would lead me to suspect something, are you back in town?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It is indeed a new and improved QuikTrip. QT has a pattern of upgrading their facilities.

Across the street to the north the automotive shop has asked for TIF financing to enlarge and renovate their property and the sidewalks.

Also this week I noticed earth work at the site of the old Candy Stripe Drive-In on 23rd. Stay tuned for updates.

WCHS, your observation would lead me to suspect something, are you back in town?
No, but I was there for one day as a side trip from a visit to Kansas. I did not make it out to the old Candy Stripe.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
No, but I was there for one day as a side trip from a visit to Kansas. I did not make it out to the old Candy Stripe.
I also noted that Polly's Pop is still in a coming soon mode on west Maple across from the old post office.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 AM

Default Byam Theater

Byam Theater, Independence, Missouri

In 1961 while working in Fairmount, I recall someone coming out of the door of a brick building on Ash Street behind the corner drug store. Someone mentioned the door was to the old theater. I was confused because I knew the entrance to the now closed theater was around the corner on 24.

By 1961 the theater had been closed for a while and the marquee had been taken down. Turns out the theater’s narrow entrance was actually on Highway 24. There was a deep walkway the width of the Marquee going back to the auditorium which ran east to west behind the drug store. The person I saw was coming out of an exit door.

Location: Entry on 24 Highway next door west of Byam’s Drug Store, which is apparently now a closed thrift shop at the corner of 24 and Ash Street.

Designer and builder: F. L. Byam who owned the drug store.

Cost: $70,000 for building, equipment, and furnishing.

Actual theater owner: Reube Finkelstein, who owned the Belmont Theater on St. John Street about four miles east in Kansas City.

Seating: 730 seats. First nine rows were wood intended for kids. The rest of the seating was upholstered in red fabric and the wood walnut finished.

Year built: 1937

Size of auditorium: 50 x 150 feet.

Stage: 28 feet wide by 14 feet tall.

Curtain: gold colored velvet with royal blue valance.

Basement: 25 x 50 feet holding the air conditioning and heating equipment.

Projection room: 25 x 10 feet.

From Box Office magazine, January 8, 1938.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Byam Theater, Independence, Missouri

In 1961 while working in Fairmount, I recall someone coming out of the door of a brick building on Ash Street behind the corner drug store. Someone mentioned the door was to the old theater. I was confused because I knew the entrance to the now closed theater was around the corner on 24.

By 1961 the theater had been closed for a while and the marquee had been taken down. Turns out the theater’s narrow entrance was actually on Highway 24. There was a deep walkway the width of the Marquee going back to the auditorium which ran east to west behind the drug store. The person I saw was coming out of an exit door.

Location: Entry on 24 Highway next door west of Byam’s Drug Store, which is apparently now a closed thrift shop at the corner of 24 and Ash Street.

Designer and builder: F. L. Byam who owned the drug store.

Cost: $70,000 for building, equipment, and furnishing.

Actual theater owner: Reube Finkelstein, who owned the Belmont Theater on St. John Street about four miles east in Kansas City.

Seating: 730 seats. First nine rows were wood intended for kids. The rest of the seating was upholstered in red fabric and the wood walnut finished.

Year built: 1937

Size of auditorium: 50 x 150 feet.

Stage: 28 feet wide by 14 feet tall.

Curtain: gold colored velvet with royal blue valance.

Basement: 25 x 50 feet holding the air conditioning and heating equipment.

Projection room: 25 x 10 feet.

From Box Office magazine, January 8, 1938.
$70,000 to build the Byam Theater in 1937 is the equivalent of $1,131,681 today.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,558 times
Quote:
I also noted that Polly's Pop is still in a coming soon mode on west Maple across from the old post office.

Polly's Pop is making a comeback?

Not something I would have expected, but certainly good news if true.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Polly's Pop is making a comeback?

Not something I would have expected, but certainly good news if true.

All I know about it at this point is what the sign on the window says. It has been there for awhile.

Someone in one of the previous messages issued sometime before the Santa-Cali-Gon celebration first mentioned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City