Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2023, 10:01 AM

267 posts, read 158,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
"Very strange" certainly describes some of our topics!

........and some of our contributors, eh MAD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 04:49 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
KCIT (Kansas City Independent Television), channel 50, did launch in 1969 and was short-lived, but it wasn't the city's first commercial UHF TV station.

That honor went to KCTY, which broadcast for eight months on channel 23, from June 1953 to February 1954. It was an affiliate of the DuMont network, which bought the station after it signed on as a means of experimenting with the possibilities and problems of UHF broadcasting in an era when most TV sets had no way of receiving the UHF channels. DuMont decided there was no way it could make the station profitable and pulled the plug at the end of February 1954.

KCTY was the second TV station to sign on in Kansas City, after WDAF-TV.

KCTY (Kansas City) | Wikipedia

It's a geographical oddity! The linked article states the transmitter was on 87th, but the coordinates given go to a golf course near 103rd & Metcalf.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:09 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
........and some of our contributors, eh MAD?
Hey! I resemble that fact.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:05 AM

267 posts, read 158,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Hey! I resemble that fact.
Yep.....it appears that there are several of us. (he says, refusing to name names!)

Old 01-30-2023, 09:57 AM

9 posts, read 3,518 times
I was actually referencing a murder that happened at 423 N Pleasant, not the Pleasant Street Murders. Someone else asked about the murder at that address a while back, cant find the post now, and not sure how to ask that person directly. Story was some lady rented her house out after WW2, and a tenant murdered her because they didn't want to pay rent. I tried to locate the lady's obit, but couldn't come up with it. Believe the lady's name was dixie anderson, based on who lived at the house at that time.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbeals View Post
I was actually referencing a murder that happened at 423 N Pleasant, not the Pleasant Street Murders. Someone else asked about the murder at that address a while back, cant find the post now, and not sure how to ask that person directly. Story was some lady rented her house out after WW2, and a tenant murdered her because they didn't want to pay rent. I tried to locate the lady's obit, but couldn't come up with it. Believe the lady's name was dixie anderson, based on who lived at the house at that time.
Sometimes you must gently nudge my memory bank with a sledge hammer. Here are two earlier conversations concerning that address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
History revisited

By Submitted to The Examiner
Posted May. 10, 2014 @ 12:56 am

Independence, Mo.
A special neighborhood celebration and ribbon-cutting ceremony/open house will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in front of the restored historic home at 423 N. Pleasant St. in Independence.
This previously dilapidated and abandoned home in the Truman Historic District has been restored by the Builder’s Development Corporation according to the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation, allowing the home to once again contribute its historic integrity to the character of the Truman National Historic Landmark District.
U.S. Congressman Emanuel Cleaver II, Independence Mayor Pro-Tem Chris Whiting, Independence Council Member Marcie Gragg, Vice President of the National Association of Home Builders and BDC Board Chairman Tom Woods, along with other city officials and area residents, will take part in the neighborhood celebration.
Free barbecue and drinks will be provided, sponsored by Capital City Bank, and hanging baskets will handed out to all mothers in attendance in honor of Mother’s Day, courtesy of the Home Depot Foundation (while supplies last).
“The Truman Historic District is treasured not only as an area of local pride but as one of the most authentic and significant neighborhoods in the nation,” Independence Mayor Eileen Weir said in a statement. “The preservation of the built environment is essential to telling the story of the Truman and Wallace families and of the unique place Independence holds in American and world history.”
During the celebration for 423 N. Pleasant, other nearby BDC completed projects at 417 W. Farmer and 1118 W. Walnut will also be open for tour. Each project represents a significant investment in the neighborhood, as almost every aspect of the home was renovated.
Renovation and preservation was made possible through the city of Independence and Missouri Neighborhood Stabilization Program, supported with funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and private construction financing from Capital City Bank and Builders Development Corporation. In addition, a significant amount of funding was made available through the Neighborhood Preservation Act Tax Credit Program administered by the state of Missouri.
The Builders Development Corporation is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 Community Development Corporation working toward rebuilding communities in the greater Kansas City metropolitan area. The BDC is a past recipient of a U.S. Housing and Urban Development Best Practice Award for its commitment to energy-efficient and affordable homes.
For more information, contact Independence Community Development Program Supervisor Christina Leakey at cleakey@indepmo.org or Michael Snodgrass of Builders Development Corporation at msnodgrass@bdc-kc.org.

Read more: History revisited - News - Examiner - Independence, MO

Good to see, from today's Examiner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weimlover6 View Post
Speaking of murders, I was out a couple of months ago and a talkative neighbor mentioned that his aunt had owned the house at 423 North Pleasant after WWII, had rented out rooms in the house, and had been killed by one of her renters. Don't suppose anyone remembers any info on that one?

Old 01-31-2023, 12:52 PM

Yes, I am referencing the post made by "weimlover6". I cant seem to message them directly and I didn't see any responses to their post.

Old 01-31-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am referencing the post made by "weimlover6". I cant seem to message them directly and I didn't see any responses to their post.

Weimlover6 has not posted anywhere since 2015, so I doubt you'll find them. Whereas I grew up in the neighborhood mentioned I dug around a bit, but found nothing.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:45 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
This might help narrow your search

Polk's City Directory has for 1946 423 N. Pleasant

Alf Andersen Note the spelling of Andersen

For 1948, that address was listed as Dixie Andersen

And for 1950, a gentleman named Jas Swofford is the sole occupant at that address.

In all three years, no one else is listed as tenant(s) and Polk's usually does list all residents of apartment houses Perhaps Polk's did miss a boarder, which wouldn't seem that uncommon, but it looks like Alf may have passed, Dixie continued to live there as sole occupant, but not for long. That part of your information about post WW2 seems on the money.

Old 02-01-2023, 06:58 AM

Thank you. I received the "son" spelling from an article the city published about the house (my house - I now live at 423 Pleasant). Long story short I came across a lady who grew up in my house from like the 70's - 90's. We were talking about the house, and she mentioned the 'murder tale'. So curious if it was just an urban legend about the house, or if it actually happened. Cant find an obit for the new spelling of dixie andersen either (quick search on findagrave). Is there a good (free) online police record search database? Or would searching for a murder in 1948 be a 'library microfilm' kind of thing? Is that still a thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City