Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 6,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I found a former lake just west of there. It was still there in 1957, as seen on image DL-5T-032 at Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1957 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

For the current view of the same place go to https://goo.gl/maps/ncFQp36jbUA2

Wow that’s awesome that you found something on it! Thank you, this has been something I’ve wondered for years.
I’ll admit that I’m having a little trouble looking at the image, could you help me to identify where the lake is on the aerial image? I think I’ve figured the main road on the left side of the picture to be what is today’s 435, is that correct?
I’ve looked at the google map you provided and I definitely see a lot of similarities- like the split in the middle/upper right area seems to be where Westport comes off of Blue Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragons View Post
Wow that’s awesome that you found something on it! Thank you, this has been something I’ve wondered for years.
I’ll admit that I’m having a little trouble looking at the image, could you help me to identify where the lake is on the aerial image? I think I’ve figured the main road on the left side of the picture to be what is today’s 435, is that correct?
I’ve looked at the google map you provided and I definitely see a lot of similarities- like the split in the middle/upper right area seems to be where Westport comes off of Blue Ridge.
Along the left side is Manchester Trafficway, long before I-435 and a few years before I-70 were built. Manchester has multiple railroads running along the west side of it. At the bottom of the view is a small gray bar, if you grab that and pull down you can enlarge the screen area of the photo. Use the slider at the top to zoom in. When you zoom in it will always recenter the view. Enlarge to about 90% and then drag the image using your left mouse until you find the right edge. 31st & Hardy is distinguished by the large pale square field on the SW corner, which was a park and will soon be the new elementary school. From there you should be able to find your way around the map, remembering that some streets are no more, and others have been added. Happy browsing!

Old 08-20-2018, 08:28 PM

Somewhere in the last 1000 pages or so I posted more info on viewing the aerial photo series, including a decoder ring that will help you find which photo various neighborhoods are in. Unfortunately the search feature isn't cooperating this evening. Perhaps tomorrow...

Old 08-23-2018, 11:50 AM

For those of you that weren't around some 900 or so pages ago I shall re-post some information on Jackson County Aerial Photos. These were taken in 1957 and 1963, and are on Missouri Digital Heritage.

1957- Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1957 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

1963- Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

These images were shot from an airplane that flew a pattern over the county. There is a good amount of overlap between images, allowing you to check for your point of interest on multiple images. The images can be zoomed using the slider at the top of the selected image. Anytime you change the zoom level the image will be re-centered. Many images will have black marker notations on them, such as R30W and T51N. These are the Range and Township grids used to divide the county into legal plots. You can use the Jackson County Parcel Viewer

https://jacksoncomo.maps.arcgis.com/...35bad9be238c53

to find your point of interest. In the layers menu on the left turn on "Sections" and "Township Range" to find the coordinates you can then use on the old photos.

I created an index for both series of photos to aid in finding points of interest. The system won't allow me to reattach them, so I'll post links later today.

Happy Viewing!

Old 08-23-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
As promised here are both 1957 and 1963 aerial photo indexes. I have redone them as PDF files.

Click on the blue arrow to reach the original post with the indexes.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:33 AM

908 posts, read 725,813 times
Default A Little Tardy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
I am very sorry to hear of WCHS'59's passing. He seemed like a nice gentleman and had so much history to share.
Oh, no! He added a lot to this group. Sorry to read this. May he rest in peace.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
A few of us knew his identity, which we learned by keen observational powers and research. Whereas he did not choose to disclose it publicly we aren't comfortable posting it. I will say that he reached a good age and died of a disease.
Oh my goodness!!! In four years, I will reach a good age? That is still way to your to leave us.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1953 View Post
Picture One shows El Pico going in at 108 W. Maple. Knoepker's Department Store was located at 108 West Maple from 1896 to 1982. The store was originally at 108, and was burned down near the turn of the century. The very back portion was saved and you can still see the charred oak ceiling wood near the back of 108 W. Maple, since they used the saved portion when they rebuilt and added 106 W. Maple. They started out selling fabric and piece-goods, moving on to ready-to-wear clothing in the middle of the century. In the 1960's and 1970's we had women's clothing on two floors in 106 W. Maple, and Men's clothing in the first floor only of 108 W. Maple. The offices were located on the second floor of 108 W. Maple.
Chuck Knoepker
I remember seeing you, Chuck, in the Bank of Independence. If my memory serves me correctly, you are just a tad taller than me. Glad to see you here. I would imagine you have a great knowledge of Independence during the 1950s and later.

By any chance, do you have a photo of the interior of the bank when it was at Maple?

Old 08-25-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
I have a nice picture to share I purchased sharing rights on from the Jackson County Historical Society. It's an aerial view of the Independence Square, approximately 1945. Truman Home and Truman Courthouse are circled.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/indepe...posted-public/
Great photo!

Old 08-25-2018, 01:21 PM

I posted four short messages today and I can edit only 2 of the 4. One that needed editing was about WCHS59 and it was supposed to say "too young." Ack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City