Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Old engine #1 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Engine, Engine Number 9 ?

Number 9, Number 9, Number 9
Wrong & wronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 01:50 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Wrong & wronger.

Here is my input:

From the Independence Fire department history:

By December 9, 1853, Independence had a fire engine. When the City ordinance was passed incorporating the "Independence Fire Company" into the body politic, it also gave them possession and control of the City fire engine, "The Independence 76," and the building which later became known as "The Engine House."

The Engine House was on the west side of Osage between Lexington and Maple.

I first assumed that the Trivia question concerning the name of the first fire engine was probably referring to one of the two 1928 fire engines. These were apparently named 1 and 2 based on the medallion on the radiator grill of Number 1.

Apparently, though, there were fire engines (self-propelled as we know them) in 1918 according to the Harry S Truman Independence 76 Fire Company Face Book page. I do not know much about the Independence 76 Fire Company, which is a nonprofit organization. Neither do I know why it has the 76 name but based on the red type above, it would seem sort of obvious.

This might bring into question as to what is defined as an engine to the people who created the Independence Trivia game.

If 1853 is involved, I was assuming that the Independence 76 referred to by the fire department history was one of the steam engines on wheels that needed wood for fire and would pump water but was pulled by horses. These were in use in the U.S. at the time but apparently not very popular for some reason.

Then I thought maybe that first engine was one of those pumper vehicles which require a man or two or three on a long handle on each side of the pump to hand pump water through a hose. This would be operated similar to the old hand operated track cars on the railroads. Maybe that is called a hand engine…..

At any rate what does the Trivia game say?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Here is my input:

From the Independence Fire department history:

By December 9, 1853, Independence had a fire engine. When the City ordinance was passed incorporating the "Independence Fire Company" into the body politic, it also gave them possession and control of the City fire engine, "The Independence 76," and the building which later became known as "The Engine House."

The Engine House was on the west side of Osage between Lexington and Maple.

I first assumed that the Trivia question concerning the name of the first fire engine was probably referring to one of the two 1928 fire engines. These were apparently named 1 and 2 based on the medallion on the radiator grill of Number 1.

Apparently, though, there were fire engines (self-propelled as we know them) in 1918 according to the Harry S Truman Independence 76 Fire Company Face Book page. I do not know much about the Independence 76 Fire Company, which is a nonprofit organization. Neither do I know why it has the 76 name but based on the red type above, it would seem sort of obvious.

This might bring into question as to what is defined as an engine to the people who created the Independence Trivia game.

If 1853 is involved, I was assuming that the Independence 76 referred to by the fire department history was one of the steam engines on wheels that needed wood for fire and would pump water but was pulled by horses. These were in use in the U.S. at the time but apparently not very popular for some reason.

Then I thought maybe that first engine was one of those pumper vehicles which require a man or two or three on a long handle on each side of the pump to hand pump water through a hose. This would be operated similar to the old hand operated track cars on the railroads. Maybe that is called a hand engine…..

At any rate what does the Trivia game say?
I'm going to say that I have a defective trivia game! It says "Independence 96" was the name of the first pumper. However, the City's website has a history of the fire department that gives it as "Independence 76". You can read all about it here...

Fire Department History - City of Independence, Missouri: An American Original

Old 07-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I'm going to say that I have a defective trivia game! It says "Independence 96" was the name of the first pumper. However, the City's website has a history of the fire department that gives it as "Independence 76". You can read all about it here...

So who knows the history of the Harry S Truman Independence 76 Fire Company?

Old 07-07-2014, 05:53 PM

To give equal billing to my favorite department, here is a short history of IPD...

Police Department History - City of Independence, Missouri: An American Original

(I wish it was as detailed as the Fire version!)

Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 PM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
Quote:

So, trying to answer these questions from the Independence Trivia game really is an exercise in "trivial pursuit".

Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
So who knows the history of the Harry S Truman Independence 76 Fire Company?
They are a group dedicated to preserving old Fire Engines and related equipment. There base of operations is behind the old FS #1 on the square, with the entrance on Lynn at Truman.

They host a big event each year, called FireFest. It is less than 2 weeks away, on July 19th, at the parking lot of the Independence Events Center.

https://www.facebook.com/12856463049...type=1&theater

Old 07-08-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
So, trying to answer these questions from the Independence Trivia game really is an exercise in "trivial pursuit".
Indeed it is! But that will not stop me from trying again...

What did George Caleb Bingham do that resulted in the honor of naming a school for him?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:38 PM

He served on the Independence Board of Education. But I suspect other things such has his reputation as a painter, and a painter of Order Number 11 might have had something to do with it.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-08-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 06:24 PM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
Quote:
Indeed it is! But that will not stop me from trying again...

What did George Caleb Bingham do that resulted in the honor of naming a school for him?
Probably doesn't matter, but is the school in question the Independence middle school? There was one in the Waldo area too. But this is an Independence Trivia game. That being said, the answer could be Engine 96!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City