Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 08:15 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

Now that I'm properly coffeed it is time to reveal the answer. First, the obvious; South Main Street runs right through the center of the photo.

The significance of South Main was a bit more elusive. My memory was sparked by the recent posts from Sally's son, causing me to recall one of her early posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
So gladsomebody's enjoying this. Tell your neighbors! I lived out on South Main and we'd often walk uptown when we didn't take "the big green bus."When it suddenly started to rain in Spring or Summer, my Mom and I would run up on somebody's porch for shelter. We wouldn't even know the people but folks never minded, they'd sometimes open their door and we'd chat. I'd be afraid to do that these days. I'll be back. Keep watching!
In honor of Sally's memory we can see South Main as it was in her day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 AM

I hope you find today's quiz to be kinder and gentler! We shall continue a tribute to Sally. Your assignment is to identify at least two reasons the area in this view was significant in her life.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I hope you find today's quiz to be kinder and gentler! We shall continue a tribute to Sally. Your assignment is to identify at least two reasons the area in this view was significant in her life.

One is William Chrisman High School and the other is the drug store with its fountain at Lexington and Union. The owner had to have gotten rich off the Chrisman kids but probably suffered during the summer months. Amazing that every one of the houses/stores west of Chrisman and every one south of Chrisman are now gone.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
One is William Chrisman High School and the other is the drug store with its fountain at Lexington and Union. The owner had to have gotten rich off the Chrisman kids but probably suffered during the summer months. Amazing that every one of the houses/stores west of Chrisman and every one south of Chrisman are now gone.
You're off to a good start! Both answers are correct and relevant. However, there is at least one more, and possibly more. Anyone else see anything?

Old 03-20-2015, 03:03 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
You're off to a good start! Both answers are correct and relevant. However, there is at least one more, and possibly more. Anyone else see anything?

Sally loved MADE-RITE west of the High School on Lexington

Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Sally loved MADE-RITE west of the High School on Lexington
Another good and correct answer! There is at least one more...

Old 03-20-2015, 04:19 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Another good and correct answer! There is at least one more...

She also lived in a house on or near S Union

Old 03-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Any oldtimers out there want to remenisce about Independence Square--how it used to be--traditional architecture--a place to purchase anything one could need or want?

I went to Chrisman in the early 50s, in the beautiful old building on W. Maple, and we bought our textbooks (new and used) at Sturges on Liberty. Every day after school I'd go upstairs at Bundschu's and drool over a blue suede jacket my folks couldn't afford at $39.95. I loved the stonework of the showcases out front. Was mortified to see all that gone or covered by unattraactive raw wood pieces when I last went back.

There was a tiny place just off the square at Main and Lexington where we could get a string of tiny pictures taken for a quarter . . . .

I loved the architecture of the old Chrisman-Sawyer Bank facing the corner of Liberty and Lexington back then. I dont understand why these structures werent preserved! It is now replaced by a very modern one that is NOT complementary to the "historic Indepencence square'.

My Grandpa got his groceries at Milgrams when I was little. Anyone remember that? And I have NEVER eaten a cheeseburger in all these decades that compared to Winsteads' juicy delectable ones! Do I hear an amen?

Of course there was the cigarstore Indian on Lexington, down from Penney's . . . please share with me and others your memories of the old-time courthouse square. Or any place in Indep. MO that is an old memory now . . . Gosh, I wish the Velvet Freeze was still there . . . a few blocks West on Maple I believe. And MADE-RITE on Lexington, on the way out to the Natatorium!

Please join me in looking back to when we were a really small town and everybody knew everybody!
Quote:
Thx, guys. Am moving rt now so may take a break but please come on back and chk on my progress, ok? Am disappointed in the Santa-Cali-Gon of today. yrs ago there were covered wagons parading the square, men dressed in buckskins and coonskin caps with beards they'd spent months growning for the occasion, lots of horses and ladies dressed in long dresses and bonnets. It's awfully modern today for my taste. On the RLDS property today South of Maple near "the Dome" (what we always called the original RLDS auditorium and the place where my HS graduation was held) used to be blocks of homes with front porches. I know, I lived in one of them on what was then So. Union. Was I ever dismayed to come back and find the whole neighborhood vanished!! Also So. of that area was The Campus, likewise RLDS property but open to the public for certain activities. When the carnival came to town, it was locaated there at the end of So. Union. Nearby was some tennis courts that we HS girls used for gym class in the Spring! Had to walk all the way down from Chrisman and back. In addition, the ROTC boys used So. Union to practice drills and marching down the middle of the street! It was fun sitting out on my porch swing watching them and, too, listening to the carnival sounds in the summer while watching the lights of the ferris wheel and other rides. A very happy and homey memory! Well, there's a parking lot and lots of grass now where those memories were created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
She also lived in a house on or near S Union
I'm glad to see that y'all have paid attention over the years. All of the answers I sought have been named, but there may be others.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:48 AM

An easy quiz for Saturday. Identify the location of the square building at the center of this 1957 view, and its purpose.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:40 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
An easy quiz for Saturday. Identify the location of the square building at the center of this 1957 view, and its purpose.

That particular building is gone having been replaced on the street south with three homes and the south side of that block now contains five or six houses.

Although I never had a connection to that building I always go by there when I am in town. There is a structure of sort that is still there, though, from when this photo was taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City