Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 01:51 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Sorry, you are literally off by miles. Please try again.

Well damn . . . if it's not Noland or LS Road, then I'm uncle'd again. You guys need to go south of 40 sometimes, there are parts of Independence there you know :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Well damn . . . if it's not Noland or LS Road, then I'm uncle'd again. You guys need to go south of 40 sometimes, there are parts of Independence there you know :-)
MRG, I became curious as to what was exactly south of 40. Most of the Independence area south of 40 was taken in 1956 and 1960.

In the process I noted there was some little tiny annexation south of 40 in 2000. I seem to recall a family or some small entity wanted to be in Independence and the annexation was accomplished without too much trouble. There was some smaller annexations in 1995, also, but they were just north of 40.

Since the law now requires both the annexing city and the "annexee" area to vote, it is much more difficult for a city to increase in land size. I think both Independence and Sugar Creek have tried to grab the extensive land area just east of M-291 and north of Highway 24 to the Missouri River and then east to Sibley and Buckner for many years but have never been successful, except that Sugar Creek did get a small bite.

I recall many years ago of being so disappointed that the revered Highway 40 drive in, which had been in Independence for many years (by mail anyway) that it suddenly became Kansas City one morning. I think that was 1960.

It seems that if the 40 drive in had been on the opposite corner west across Noland it would have remained in Independence.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:51 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
MRG, I became curious as to what was exactly south of 40. Most of the Independence area south of 40 was taken in 1956 and 1960.

In the process I noted there was some little tiny annexation south of 40 in 2000. I seem to recall a family or some small entity wanted to be in Independence and the annexation was accomplished without too much trouble. There was some smaller annexations in 1995, also, but they were just north of 40.

Since the law now requires both the annexing city and the "annexee" area to vote, it is much more difficult for a city to increase in land size. I think both Independence and Sugar Creek have tried to grab the extensive land area just east of M-291 and north of Highway 24 to the Missouri River and then east to Sibley and Buckner for many years but have never been successful, except that Sugar Creek did get a small bite.

I recall many years ago of being so disappointed that the revered Highway 40 drive in, which had been in Independence for many years (by mail anyway) that it suddenly became Kansas City one morning. I think that was 1960.

It seems that if the 40 drive in had been on the opposite corner west across Noland it would have remained in Independence.

Our physical address was in Kansas City, the school district was Raytown, and I had classmates living just a few blocks away with Independence addresses. Not sure how far east KC city limits extended but the 40 Hiway Drive In screen was visible from our back yard so that wouldn't surprise me. Without looking at the map, I'm not sure where Raytown intersected but it seems to me that you could travel 51st west from Noland and hit KC Independence and Raytown before getting to Blue Ridge, which was a mile down 51st.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Our physical address was in Kansas City, the school district was Raytown, and I had classmates living just a few blocks away with Independence addresses. Not sure how far east KC city limits extended but the 40 Hiway Drive In screen was visible from our back yard so that wouldn't surprise me. Without looking at the map, I'm not sure where Raytown intersected but it seems to me that you could travel 51st west from Noland and hit KC Independence and Raytown before getting to Blue Ridge, which was a mile down 51st.
Stupefying fact: If you drive east on 40 towards Blue Springs, one soon hits the Lee's Summit city limits. It is about 13 square miles smaller than Independence but the population has been growing rapidly.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:

I will take a stab at M-291, north of Truman Road.
Standing in the same spot, I rotated a bit and took these shots. Does that confirm your suspicions?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:

For years it was served by the Independence post office, but was actually in the county. When Independence did annex out that way the line (from west of Noland) was 200 feet south of the center-line of US 40 until reaching 200 feet east of the center-line of Noland Road, at which point the line moved to 200 feet north of the center-line of US 40, continuing east until reaching 200 feet east of the center-line of Lee's Summit Road, at which point it then ran south. I have no idea why they jogged the line to and fro!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:58 PM

Yes, that would be the bridge over the two lane Truman Road in the back ground.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 12-18-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 PM

This would be the roadway down to Truman Road from M-291. There was no traffic light there "in my day" and the road down was not paved and was barely a road at all being just a trail. It seemed to me very few people were aware of it at the time as it was hidden by trees and undergrowth from both M-291 and Truman. Coming up from Truman Road and turning on to M-291 (or ought Hiway as it was first called) was dangerous especially if one was going north. There was just a little spot to stop before turning. I always thought that it was a path blazed by a few daring cars.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 12-18-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
For years it was served by the Independence post office, but was actually in the county. When Independence did annex out that way the line (from west of Noland) was 200 feet south of the center-line of US 40 until reaching 200 feet east of the center-line of Noland Road, at which point the line moved to 200 feet north of the center-line of US 40, continuing east until reaching 200 feet east of the center-line of Lee's Summit Road, at which point it then ran south. I have no idea why they jogged the line to and fro!

The Hawthorn Cafe was next to the Highway 40 drive in. This 24 hour cafe generally catered to the travelers on Highway 40 (and US Bypass 71, which was Noland Road) as I-70 was still a gleam in Eisenhower's eye. There was also a service station. And, finally, there was a Missouri highway weigh station for trucks.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 12-18-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 05:18 AM

I recall sitting on Santa Claus' lap in the basement of the A. J. Bundschu Department Store in the 100 block of north Main at least two or three times.

The last year I did so, I asked for a Red Ryder BB gun, which was a hot item at the time.

The old boy replied asking if I was not afraid I would accidentally shoot someone's eye out. I said no that would not happen. But from that response I knew I was doomed and he would not bring me a BB gun. He did not.

By that last year, I had begun hearing rumors that maybe there was not a Santa, but I looked this guy in the face and he looked real to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City