Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 07:28 AM

267 posts, read 158,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Very nice tribute, Casey

In another small world, I believe Doug married one of my RJH classmates and she became (or was already) a singer in their band

She might be the short-haired lady seen to the left near the end of the video

As The Classmen, "Graduation Goodbye" was one of their hits and I believe at the time it was the most-mentioned local band in the area. Casey, can you confirm any of this? Mouse?

My feeble old memory says you are correct about the band and song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 11:52 AM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Or that there was ultimately nothing superior about the Raytown School District. As I recall, Truman High School was the better school in a number of regards.
I must be a tad older as there was no Truman High when I went to William Chrisman. In my day, Raytown controlled the acumen when it came to football. Coach Chitwood was a great coach, unfortunately.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Very nice tribute, Casey

In another small world, I believe Doug married one of my RJH classmates and she became (or was already) a singer in their band

She might be the short-haired lady seen to the left near the end of the video

As The Classmen, "Graduation Goodbye" was one of their hits and I believe at the time it was the most-mentioned local band in the area. Casey, can you confirm any of this? Mouse?
Sorry, but I am no help on this one. I remember the name of the band and I know the names of the brothers who were in the band, but that is it. I did not even know they had a female in the band.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:58 AM

409 posts, read 293,329 times
Hey there, Dallas, as I recall, you lived on one side of 51st St. and I lived on the other. We moved in the mid-'60s to that same area off of Noland Rd. that KC annexed from Indep. in the early '60s.

"Normal" is a matter of opinion .

Yes, graduated from M.U.'s journalism school, along with the rest of the peak of the Baby Boomer demographic, into a job market in which publications were folding right and left.

Quote:
Ha No harm, Herder Just joshin' you and a poster-to be-named-later. Glad to see you back As I recall you and I lived close to one another but I went to RSHS. A result of RHS overcrowding and under expansion All that was over and back to normal by the time you got there

You're Mizzou J-School?

M I Z

Old 03-23-2022, 12:04 PM

409 posts, read 293,329 times
Coach Chitwood was still there when I was a h.s. student in the early to mid-'70s but I don't recall our teams being any kind of powerhouse by then. I attended home games as part of the marching band and that's mostly what I remember. #bandnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
I must be a tad older as there was no Truman High when I went to William Chrisman. In my day, Raytown controlled the acumen when it came to football. Coach Chitwood was a great coach, unfortunately.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Coach Chitwood was still there when I was a h.s. student in the early to mid-'70s but I don't recall our teams being any kind of powerhouse by then. I attended home games as part of the marching band and that's mostly what I remember. #bandnerd
I don't have time today, but I will pull out my old yearbooks and see how Chrisman did in football for school years ending in 1960 - 1963. If my memory is good, which it probably isn't, I don't believe we won any games over Raytown during those years. Proof of correctness forthcoming.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I don't have time today, but I will pull out my old yearbooks and see how Chrisman did in football for school years ending in 1960 - 1963. If my memory is good, which it probably isn't, I don't believe we won any games over Raytown during those years. Proof of correctness forthcoming.
1959: Raytown - 18 Chrisman - 7
1960: Raytown - 7 Chrisman - 7
1961: Raytown - 18 Chrisman - 6
1962: The two teams did not play each other
The previous year may have been the last year for the Pony Express League or it may have been reorganized to move some teams to a different league.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:22 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
I can't think of good teams in the 70s Their best decade was the 60s The 66-67 team featured Don Poppelwell, who went on to be a consensus All-American at Colorado, back when CU was really good.

My first game was one where our poster Casey was at Chrisman, their star, Mike Maddox, suffered both broken ankles. National powerhouse, Jeff City, used to routinely come to RHS and kick tail. At one point JC had something like a 71 game win streak, which may have been a record Columbia Hickman beat them in 1966 "71 and Jays are done" Yes, JC was also Jays

Coach's wife, Bessie, was my ninth grade English teacher. Their son, Phil, himself a football star, died in a firefight in Vietnam around 1966-67. As was star Cary Smith, about the same era as Phil, in a helicopter crash again during a firefight I believe both were officers, not surprising given their tutelage by Coach and upbringing in Raytown

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 03-25-2022 at 06:59 AM..

Old 03-25-2022, 06:42 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
1959: Raytown - 18 Chrisman - 7
1960: Raytown - 7 Chrisman - 7
1961: Raytown - 18 Chrisman - 6
1962: The two teams did not play each other
The previous year may have been the last year for the Pony Express League or it may have been reorganized to move some teams to a different league.
1962 was around the time both Independence and Raytown schools split and a new conference was formed, not sure if it was the Suburban 8 which it was when I was at RSHS and for a long time thereafter

Old 03-28-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
My first game was one where our poster Casey was at Chrisman, their star, Mike Maddox, suffered both broken ankles.
I was at that game. Mike Mattox was 6'10" or something like that and was built well. He was a star basketball player at William Chrisman and graduated in 1962 before going to Oregon State to play basketball. He was a running back that was not easy to bring down. The night he broke his ankle, about 9 or 10 players were piling on trying to get him down. That was ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City