Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The answer is not as simple as a yes or no, except to say that being out here was definitely not a preference. I wrote out a much more detailed response but then reminded myself that I wasn't writing to you privately. Ultimately I decided that's as much as I want to say about that here.

KC has some great attributes - most of all great people - quality people - normal people; sprawl , giving people lots of elbow room; low cost of living; sports stadiums that aren't downtown, thus having easy and plentiful parking; a great airport with the fastest and most convenient entrance/exit in any major metro; and last, but not least, beautiful women . I once thought that there were lots of beautiful women everywhere. Live and learn.

But KC also has those summers - which I know you love, but in my view turns the south and much of the central part of whole nation into an uninhabitable wasteland from May through September.

So my retirement location decision is far from final. Every possibility has big pros and big cons and, believe it or not, there are even a couple of pros to staying here for a while longer.

Out here there is a large number of guest houses or casitas found distributed throughout newer upscale neighborhoods, providing opportunities for affordable (well, by Bay Area standards, that is) living in settings that people of my humble means couldn't otherwise touch with a 50' pole. These casitas are probably common in other parts of California as well, but I've never seen them anywhere else I've lived....at least not in any abundant supply like here. I am DONE with apartment/condo/townhouse/high density living for life, so I've asked myself where would I live in JoCo or Sandpoint or Canandaigua or most anywhere else that I might consider. I couldn't afford to buy where I'd want to buy, nor would it make much sense at this point for just me.

But for a person like you, with lifelong family ties there and a love of the hot summer weather, Johnson County life simply cannot be beat. Whether or not I ever return, I will always miss the quality people there and treasure the memories of what I once took for granted. I think if you ever left for warmer environs, you'd be back before you even unpacked.
Hmmm... I've never heard of the "casitas". I lived in Orange County for many years, so maybe that's more of a Bay Area thing. My experience is that after living in coastal OC, no other climate will ever be to my liking It was just too close to perfect, year round.

You seem to not understand, though, that there are people (me included) who hate living in sprawl, don't want "elbow room and plentiful parking", and when I went to a Rockies game recently, I absolutely LOVED that the stadium was right downtown. We were able to walk out of the stadium and have our choice of many different restaurants and bars after the game witn no need for a car. I understand that there are people who love JoCo and similar places, and people who love how KC is so "non-urban". Different strokes for different folks, but it's certainly not for me. Give me bright lights, hustle and bustle, subways, trains, walkable neighborhoods, lots of neighbors and leave the stupid car in the garage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Ideally, I would love to live in Johnson County March or April through November, and someplace much warmer December, January, and February. Those are the months that I don't want to be in Kansas City. And it's not that it's even that cold, although it can get VERY cold, but I just am done with winter.

Just you? CrownVic, I thought there was a Mrs. CrownVic. Of course, feel free NOT to answer that here!

I read that Joe Montana sold his land/winery and now lives in a brand new condo in the Bay area on the 41st floor.

I feel like my family ties are what have kept me here when otherwise I probably would have looked into going somewhere else at some point, if only for the adventure when I was younger. But I do love it here and every time I visit anywhere else, I'm always glad to get home. Things look so wonderful here compared to so many other places.
Yep, just me. We went our separate ways a long time ago.

I did a lot of moving when I was younger and, yes, it is an adventure and one that I have few regrets about. The one thing for sure that I would do differently, though, is coming out here to live - originally in 1973. When I left upstate New York, I had no idea what I had and what I took for granted.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:20 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
In the past month, I have flown six times and of those six times, we had extended (2 plus hours) delays four times (Orlando, Grand Rapids, New Orleans and Birmingham all of which are nicer than KCI if you need food, restrooms, charging stations etc). I guess my record of few delays has to come to an end eventually. In one flight to Orlando, I was forced to pull an all-nighter because I was supposed to get to the hotel at 10pm and didn’t land till 3:30 AM so I went straight to work. Thanks Southwest!

Anyway, my son flies with me most often and as we wait out delays we always at some point in the delay say to each other, well, things could be MUCH worse, we could be stuck at KCI .

We say that a lot even without delays, but with delays, KCI would be brutal.

But here is the interesting part.

As we finally boarded a plane bound for BWI (from Orlando), I spoke with the some of the crew. They had just waited out a 3 hour delay in Columbus, OH due to lightning which caused our delay. They said they were able to get on and off the plane a few times, but they said that it was bad because it was “Columbus” where things shut down pretty early. But then one of the crew said, “at least it wasn’t Kansas City” and they all laughed and agreed and started slamming KCI airport as the worst airport in the country. By this time we were passing them and looking for seats and I didn’t say anything, nor did they know we were from KC. But it was comical that KCI airport has such an image with this flight crew and a well-deserved image IMO. When we finally landed at BWI, we were on the interstate within six minutes with a parked car (not curbside pickup, that would have been two minutes). I only mention that because people in KC think that's only possible in KC.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:59 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
The flight attendants I know hate KCI. It's understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City