Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 12:40 PM

131 posts, read 185,047 times

Advertisements

New Apartments For 500 Approved For 34th And Broadway Area | KCUR

More Midtown development. Addition of 500 residents to the area beginning with the conversion of the MGE building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Chalice View Post
Have any initial renderings or sketches been released on the Crown Central proposal? I'm having a hard time envisioning such an expansive complex on the hilly parking lots.
Not sure if its the same project but as far as envisioning goes, here are a few sketches done for that area from a couple of years ago.

CrownCentercompletionPlan.jpg Photo by FangKC | Photobucket

Old 12-05-2015, 01:12 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandthom View Post
New Apartments For 500 Approved For 34th And Broadway Area | KCUR

More Midtown development. Addition of 500 residents to the area beginning with the conversion of the MGE building.
That will be a great project for midtown. All this new midtown development has to be good for rapid expansion of the streetcar to the plaza.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandthom View Post
Not sure if its the same project but as far as envisioning goes, here are a few sketches done for that area from a couple of years ago.

CrownCentercompletionPlan.jpg Photo by FangKC | Photobucket
Nice, that is basically from the proposed development. The buildings in the foreground are future, buildings to the right and left and the building that the rendering is supposed to be viewed from is the proposed development, so much of the rendering is in fact part of the new development. Very cool.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:06 PM

290 posts, read 346,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That will be a great project for midtown. All this new midtown development has to be good for rapid expansion of the streetcar to the plaza.
I do hope it's all fully built out as I believe it will occur in phases. The MGE conversion will be the fastest to be up and running as long as they don't run into too much trouble with the existing structure. Lastly, as a 'designer,' I always find the entourage each firm puts in renderings to be interesting. The rendering associated with this project and el dorado inc's on Main are pretty conservative, which is a good thing...

Old 12-10-2015, 10:46 AM

290 posts, read 346,655 times
If that's what actually is built, it will be a nice addition to the area.

Quote:
Incentives for Metro North makeover head for final approval

The Kansas City Council is expected to give final approval Thursday to a $144 million tax-increment financing plan that will allow redevelopment of the shuttered Metro North Mall shopping center to begin next spring.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...for-final.html

Old 12-10-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
If that's what actually is built, it will be a nice addition to the area.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...for-final.html
Rumors are that development might be getting some tenants new to the Northland that Northland residents have been asking for including Costco, Crate and Barrel, Trader Joes and Nordstroms. Where is the nearest Walmart, because I would bet they try to get into that project if they are not already in the area. Hopefully walmart is not involved unless they do an urban type structure then I would be fine with it. A Costco is different since it will likely be a stand alone store in that area anyway.

It looks like a decent project for a redevelopment. Looks pretty mixed use and it needs to happen to clean up the retail blight up there. It's still a very fast growing suburban area, so there is no reason for it to see vacant much longer. I always knew Metro North would come back once the population of the Northland grew a little more.

The entire Northland had one super regional retail area (Metro North).

Then as the Northlnad started to boom in the 1990's and 2000's, everything at Metro North wanted two locations, so they ditched the middle opened new stores at Tiffany Springs and Shoal Creek.

Tiffany Springs and Shoal Creek are still booming. Two new retail developments were announced last month for the Tiffany Springs/Zona Rosa area and they are still building tons in Shoal Creek.

Now that the Northland is still growing and will continue to fill in the areas north of 152, the Metro North Mall area will come back and be the third major retail area serving the Northland. In ten years, the 152 corridor of the Northland will at least rival the 135th st retail corridor in Johnson County, if not exceed it and most of the people are KCMO residents, which is a good thing for the funding of the Zoo, Stadiums, Museums, transit etc.

Luckily this is happening before that huge proposed development in Shoal Creek/Liberty gets off the ground. That is supposed to be just like Zona Rosa and it's a new construction project. If that were to start, it would make it more difficult to get tenants for the Metro North redevelopment.

I do wonder if the Northland can handle another major theater complex. This will be the fourth big theater up there. Then again, look at how many are in JoCo, so I would imagine so especially if the Northland adds another 50,000 - 75,000 people in the next ten years.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-10-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 11:33 AM

Armour and Troost redevelopment plan moves forward | The Kansas City Star

More Midtown development. This time east of Troost.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:45 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Rumors are that development might be getting some tenants new to the Northland that Northland residents have been asking for including Costco, Crate and Barrel, Trader Joes and Nordstroms. Where is the nearest Walmart, because I would bet they try to get into that project if they are not already in the area. Hopefully walmart is not involved unless they do an urban type structure then I would be fine with it. A Costco is different since it will likely be a stand alone store in that area anyway.

It looks like a decent project for a redevelopment. Looks pretty mixed use and it needs to happen to clean up the retail blight up there. It's still a very fast growing suburban area, so there is no reason for it to see vacant much longer. I always knew Metro North would come back once the population of the Northland grew a little more.

The entire Northland had one super regional retail area (Metro North).

Then as the Northlnad started to boom in the 1990's and 2000's, everything at Metro North wanted two locations, so they ditched the middle opened new stores at Tiffany Springs and Shoal Creek.

Tiffany Springs and Shoal Creek are still booming. Two new retail developments were announced last month for the Tiffany Springs/Zona Rosa area and they are still building tons in Shoal Creek.

Now that the Northland is still growing and will continue to fill in the areas north of 152, the Metro North Mall area will come back and be the third major retail area serving the Northland. In ten years, the 152 corridor of the Northland will at least rival the 135th st retail corridor in Johnson County, if not exceed it and most of the people are KCMO residents, which is a good thing for the funding of the Zoo, Stadiums, Museums, transit etc.

Luckily this is happening before that huge proposed development in Shoal Creek/Liberty gets off the ground. That is supposed to be just like Zona Rosa and it's a new construction project. If that were to start, it would make it more difficult to get tenants for the Metro North redevelopment.

I do wonder if the Northland can handle another major theater complex. This will be the fourth big theater up there. Then again, look at how many are in JoCo, so I would imagine so especially if the Northland adds another 50,000 - 75,000 people in the next ten years.
What's the shoal creek proposal?? I've heard nothing about that...

The people in charge of the metro north mall redevelopment said they don't plan to bring in stuff that is directly competing with Zona Rosa, so I'm assuming most stores would be different. Walmart is only like 8-10 mins away in either direction of Metro North right now, so I would hope it wouldn't be another one.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
What's the shoal creek proposal?? I've heard nothing about that...

The people in charge of the metro north mall redevelopment said they don't plan to bring in stuff that is directly competing with Zona Rosa, so I'm assuming most stores would be different. Walmart is only like 8-10 mins away in either direction of Metro North right now, so I would hope it wouldn't be another one.
Because the Northland is growing so fast, not much would compete with Shoal Creek and Zona Rosa. Retailers want to be in those places so if retailers with existing Northland locations do decide to come to Metro North, they will be doing so to add another location rather than moving and closing existing ones. Metro North will likley get some unique retailers like a Crate and Barrel or Trader Joes or Nordstroms, that would only have one northland location, but it will also likely get tenants that are in Shoal Creek and Tiffany Springs as well.

Here is the Liberty project.

It's very similar to both Zona Rosa and the new Metro North project. The Northland will be able to support all of this eventually, but probably not for another ten years. Over the next 20 years, the northland portion of KCMO will likely add at least 120,000 middle class to affluent suburban residents. 60-75k in the Twin Creeks area, another 20-40k in the Shoal Creek area and probably 40-50k in other parts of the Northland like around Parkville, Riverside, even the Worlds of Fun area is now seeing new homes going up again.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-18-2015 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City